Txiki Begiristain...

JoeMercer'sWay said:
BillyShears said:
taconinja said:
And this is what gets my goat. Lots of clubs spend a lot of money and never get a sniff of a title or a cup. You really devalue the accomplishments of the club by this and give ammunition to those trying to cripple the club financially.

Sorry mate, but I just don't agree. Which are these mythical clubs who have spent shit loads of money but never get a sniff of a title ?

Liverpool?

Liverpool finished 2nd on 87 points in Benitez's best season. They also won the CL, got to another final, won an FA Cup and the UEFA Super Cup, and consistently finished in the top 4 whilst spending a fraction of what United and Chelsea spent in terms of transfer fees + wages.

I guess it depends upon what your definition of success is. You can't win everything every year, the trick is being there or thereabouts every year, which Liverpool were under Benitez. That btw isn't some sort of ringing endorsement of Rafa as he had plenty of limitations. But the argument that clubs spend lots and don't get a sniff of a title or a cup as Taconinja suggested in nonsense in my book.

BillyShears said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
BillyShears said:
Sorry mate, but I just don't agree. Which are these mythical clubs who have spent shit loads of money but never get a sniff of a title ?

Liverpool?

Liverpool finished 2nd on 87 points in Benitez's best season. They also won the CL, got to another final, won an FA Cup and the UEFA Super Cup, and consistently finished in the top 4 whilst spending a fraction of what United and Chelsea spent in terms of transfer fees + wages.

I guess it depends upon what your definition of success is. You can't win everything every year, the trick is being there or thereabouts every year, which Liverpool were under Benitez. That btw isn't some sort of ringing endorsement of Rafa as he had plenty of limitations. But the argument that clubs spend lots and don't get a sniff of a title or a cup as Taconinja suggested in nonsense in my book.

Agree! Let's be honest, guys: Mancini spent over 300M when he already had players like Tevez in his team! If he wouldn't win anything he'd be completely USELESS!!!!!!!!!

JoeMercer'sWay said:
waspish said:
Tevez City said:
Give me +500 Million Pound on transfer fees, never mind wages and I will give you the League every year and also will promise you to qualify from the group stages every year also.

How much has Mancini spent?

about £250m iirc.

That's how much Benitez spent and didn't win the league

BillyShears said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
BillyShears said:

Liverpool?

Benitez spent over £200m, The Champions League whilst historic was a complete fluke and they bottled the league and again fluked that FA Cup thanks to Gerrard and Reina.

You'd have murdered Mancini if he ended up with Benitez track record.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
BillyShears said:
taconinja said:
And this is what gets my goat. Lots of clubs spend a lot of money and never get a sniff of a title or a cup. You really devalue the accomplishments of the club by this and give ammunition to those trying to cripple the club financially.

Liverpool?
and Aston Villa?

bapi said:
BillyShears said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Liverpool?

Agree! Let's be honest, guys: Mancini spent over 300M when he already had players like Tevez in his team! If he wouldn't win anything he'd be completely USELESS!!!!!!!!!

There's quite a few clubs who have spent Millions and won nowt

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Benitez spent over £200m, The Champions League whilst historic was a complete fluke and they bottled the league and again fluked that FA Cup thanks to Gerrard and Reina.

And you don't think winning the league with the last kick of the season had an element of luck about it ? Jesus that's about as stupid a reply to my post as you could've gotten. You should've warned me you weren't interested in a real discussion.

BTW ... 200 million he may well have spent, but factor in wages and you'll find that Chelsea and United were literally spending twice what Liverpool were.

EDIT:

Fuck it - if people don't see that spending needs to take into account transfer fees AND wages, then the discussion is dead.

BillyShears said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

And you don't think winning the league with the last kick of the season had an element of luck about it ? Jesus that's about as stupid a reply to my post as you could've gotten. You should've warned me you weren't interested in a real discussion.

BTW ... 200 million he may well have spent, but factor in wages and you'll find that Chelsea and United were literally spending twice what Liverpool were.

EDIT:

Fuck it - if people don't see that spending needs to take into account transfer fees AND wages, then the discussion is dead.

of course there was, but over the course of the campaign we earnt the title, Liverpool were lucky in almost every aspect all the way through, big difference.

The arrogance of you and Dave recently is tiresome, if you want to debate you should show a bit of respect about it.

Wages do have to be factored in but at the end of the day Fergie isn't the one who decided the combination of Gareth Barry and Robbie Keane were better than Xabi Alonso, or that Fernando Morientes and Robbie Fowler were good signings or Andrea Dossena.

Besides, when you spend £200m + wages the argument of another team spending more is a bit mute 2bh, you should be doing better than 4 years without any sort of trophy, and when your transfer logic is to piss off one of your best players and buy a lot of rubbish then really it's on your head be it.

I would also question the figure being twice as much for Chelsea & United.

BillyShears said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

EDIT:

That's a very good point but doesn't mean there aren't exceptions. You can get some very good players who are near or at the end of their contracts for very little (NDJ is perhaps an example) obviously their wages will be higher if they are on a Bosman. It's not an exact science but you can get a strong indication as to how someone has performed which, in most cases, will be better than an individual's instinct.

waspish said:
bapi said:
BillyShears said:

There's quite a few clubs who have spent Millions and won nowt
That many millions???????

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.