Txiki Begiristain

To be fair to him, we couldn't do much better. What exactly are we expecting? We win the league most years and normally added to that are a couple of other trophies each year. Only he CL is missing id say but there are no guarantees at all on that one ever. Unless we expect to win everything each year then im not sure what we expect / think can be improved. We are probably the best / most consistent team in history over a 5 year period and Txiki has played a huge part in setting that up.
Not saying he hasn't.
Just don't think he's the untouchable little Cashmere God some on here do.

Not saying he hasn't.
Just don't think he's the untouchable little Cashmere God some on here do.
Not sure what your problem with him is, but i for one think he's done a great job. Not that i pay much attention to him to be honest, just i can see we are an unbelievably well run club, successful beyond our wildest dreams and Txiki is a big part of that.

There's nothing to debate in this particular regard. We're the best run club in the country and have the trophies, success, and squad to prove it. I appreciate that you can always do things better, and be better. Nothing wrong with striving for consistent excellence. But there's no debate to be had on the subject.
OK no debate then.
I happen to think 1 fairly miserable CL final loss isn't that great a return, not belittling the other great achievements, but that is the main prize we are told. I know we console ourselves with how long it took AF to win one - but we are streets ahead of them and how they were personnel wise (yes - credit to Txiki) and financially at the time. But we need to kick on. We should be dominating not sharing and that is not entitlement but an assessment (you may or may not agree with).
Some would think he goes out there without a pot to piss in, representing an organisation nobody would touch with a barge pole and any signing is miracle work. The reality is somewhere in the middle and I know transfers and attracting greedy players and their agents is an indefinite science, but I do think we could do better at times - not always and there are occasional gems - but to say there's no debate?

Last edited:
OK no debate then.
I happen to think 1 fairly miserable CL final loss isn't that great a return. I know we console ourselves with how long it took AF to win one - but we are streets ahead of them and how they were personnel wise and financially at the time.
Some woulld think he goes out there without a pot to piss in, representing an organisation nobody would touch with a barge pole and any signing is miracle work. The reality is somewhere in the middle and I know transfers and attracting greedy players and their agents is an indefinite science but I do think we could do better at times - not always and there are occasional gems - but to say there's no debate?

I had a quick search of your posts, and turns out, surprise surprise, you had pithy little nicknames for Txiki and Ferran from the day they arrived. So you want me to take your 'debate' seriously when it is beyond clear you've had an entrenched view since the day they set foot in the door? Nah, you're alright mate. You crack on.

I had a quick search of your posts, and turns out, surprise surprise, you had pithy little nicknames for Txiki and Ferran from the day they arrived. So you want me to take your 'debate' seriously when it is beyond clear you've had an entrenched view since the day they set foot in the door? Nah, you're alright mate. You crack on.
Do you think you're not entrenched then?
Oh and you have the advantage over me - you limit who can see your pearls.
All the best.

DD you surprise me. I know your view, but you always strike me as reasonable when it comes to rounded debate.

Last edited:
OK no debate then.
I happen to think 1 fairly miserable CL final loss isn't that great a return, not belittling the other great achievements, but that is the main prize we are told. I know we console ourselves with how long it took AF to win one - but we are streets ahead of them and how they were personnel wise (yes - credit the Txiki) and financially at the time. But we need to kick on.
Some woulld think he goes out there without a pot to piss in, representing an organisation nobody would touch with a barge pole and any signing is miracle work. The reality is somewhere in the middle and I know transfers and attracting greedy players and their agents is an indefinite science but I do think we could do better at times - not always and there are occasional gems - but to say there's no debate?
you’re not belittling them - you are erasing them from your debate. The last 10 years has been amazing - achievement wise - and the consistency required to win the league so often & do the treble, not to mention the records we’ve smashed - puts into context the luck required to win the CL. Wr have no control over the fixture mashing or the dates they make us play - or the pot they put us in supposedly to ensure we don’t play on the same day as some of the other English clubs. It can be “fixed” in so many ways.

we’ve been the most consistent English club in terms of qualifying each year - and have now played in the final.

Not sure which other club you’d rather be

Do you think you're not entrenched then?
Oh and you have the advantage over me - you limit who can see your pearls.
All the best.

DD you surprise me. I know your view, but you always strike me as reasonable when it comes to rounded debate.
Why do I surprise you? In my mind I'm having "rounded debate". My contibution to that debate is that Txiki is a brilliant Director of Football and that the quality and harmony of the squad and playing staff is my evidence as is the fact that I believe he's closed the deal for Haaland. Nobody gets every signing right, and we got a number wrong especially during the FFP/Pellegrini era, but he and Pep play the long game, get an extremely high proportion right and I wouldn't swap him for anybody.

To me that's the only sensible opinion to have given the success this club has had and is continuing to have.

Why do I surprise you? In my mind I'm having "rounded debate". My contibution to that debate is that Txiki is a brilliant Director of Football and that the quality and harmony of the squad and playing staff is my evidence as is the fact that I believe he's closed the deal for Haaland. Nobody gets every signing right, and we got a number wrong especially during the FFP/Pellegrini era, but he and Pep play the long game, get an extremely high proportion right and I wouldn't swap him for anybody.

To me that's the only sensible opinion to have given the success this club has had and is continuing to have.
Thanks for an, as usual, considered response. I wasn't being overly critical of Txiki - as you say - gets things right and wrong.
I know BS of old on here and his love of City can't be doubted, however he does like to shut down anything he doesn't agree with, quite unnecessarily harshly. I think the "cashmere" reference was the final straw unfortunately.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.