Txiki Begiristain

There's nothing to debate in this particular regard. We're the best run club in the country and have the trophies, success, and squad to prove it. I appreciate that you can always do things better, and be better. Nothing wrong with striving for consistent excellence. But there's no debate to be had on the subject.
Arrogance in the extreme, there is always debate, always ways to improve, and football is a constantly evolving sport.

7 days is a huge amount of time in football as we have witnessed with the shenanigans at Stamford Bridge, Abramovic was a game changer in the ownership model of our clubs and his demise could well signal another change.

The examples of money being frittered away without thought are littered throughout football. Look at the hundreds of millions spent by the rags or Everton. It is definitely time that we all come together and show a little bit of respect and love for the incredible people we have running the club.

They may not get everything right, but from a footballing perspective there is not a better run club on the planet. Regardless of what one or two disaffected 'characters' on the internet think.
I'm conscious that my post a couple before yours might of read as being critical of Txiki. It wasn't intended to be. I was posting about one specific topic, that is the replacement for Sergio. I think the guy has done an amazing job for us overall (albeit our manager does improve players more than most). In the case of Sergio though, I think a Jota type purchase a couple of seasons ago might have been beneficial to the squad but hey - he is one of the most respected Director of Football on the planet and I am just a fan with an opinion.

Nobody is saying we are badly run or comparing us to Everton. Could we (and every organisation for that matter) do better? Yes or at least it can be debated surely.
Whilst I’m sure there is always room for improvement, having not worked with Txiki, I have no idea what he could improve up, so I can only look at it one way, which is simply

Txiki has been here since October 2012 & in that time

PL winners x4
Runners up x3

FA Cup x1
Runner up x1

League Cup winners x6

Trip to Wembley Shield x2

Doubles x3
Treble x1

Records

34 top flight wins in a calendar year
  • 18 away wins in a calendar year
  • Most PL goals in a calendar year... 106 - Man City (2021) 102 - Man City (2017) 99 - Man City (2018) 95 - Man City (2019) & Man Utd (2000)
  • 11 - Longest winning run by an English club in European Cup history
  • 7 - Longest winning run by an English club in European Cup history
  • Most top-flight wins in a calendar year: 36.
  • Most Premier League goals in a calendar year: 113.
  • Most top-flight away wins in a calendar year : 19.
  • Most consecutive wins in all competitions from a top-flight side: 21 (run started in 2020)
  • Most consecutive league wins from the start of a calendar year: 13
  • Most consecutive away wins in all competitions for a top-flight team:20 (run started in 2020)
  • Most consecutive unbeaten away matches without defeat: 23 (run started in 2020)
  • Most consecutive away league wins (top four divisions):12
  • Most City games without defeat in all competitions: 28 (run started in 2020)
  • First side to win the Premier League, Premier League 2 (u23) and u18 Premier League in the same season
  • 100 points in a season
vs

Not won the Champions League
Not signed a CF or LB

I can’t speak for what others think, but I’d guess that’s why you won’t get much debate mate

I’m probably going to sound like a right twat saying this, but if you want debate, maybe by making a suggestion of what you believe needs to or could be improved & how you think that improvement could be made would get people thinking more instead people being entrenched in Txiki good vs Txiki bad?
Which is essentially how 90% of this thread reads

Whilst I’m sure there is always room for improvement, having not worked with Txiki, I have no idea what he could improve up, so I can only look at it one way, which is simply

Txiki has been here since October 2012 & in that time

PL winners x4
Runners up x3

FA Cup x1
Runner up x1

League Cup winners x6

Trip to Wembley Shield x2

Doubles x3
Treble x1

Records

34 top flight wins in a calendar year
  • 18 away wins in a calendar year
  • Most PL goals in a calendar year... 106 - Man City (2021) 102 - Man City (2017) 99 - Man City (2018) 95 - Man City (2019) & Man Utd (2000)
  • 11 - Longest winning run by an English club in European Cup history
  • 7 - Longest winning run by an English club in European Cup history
  • Most top-flight wins in a calendar year: 36.
  • Most Premier League goals in a calendar year: 113.
  • Most top-flight away wins in a calendar year : 19.
  • Most consecutive wins in all competitions from a top-flight side: 21 (run started in 2020)
  • Most consecutive league wins from the start of a calendar year: 13
  • Most consecutive away wins in all competitions for a top-flight team:20 (run started in 2020)
  • Most consecutive unbeaten away matches without defeat: 23 (run started in 2020)
  • Most consecutive away league wins (top four divisions):12
  • Most City games without defeat in all competitions: 28 (run started in 2020)
  • First side to win the Premier League, Premier League 2 (u23) and u18 Premier League in the same season
  • 100 points in a season
vs

Not won the Champions League
Not signed a CF or LB

I can’t speak for what others think, but I’d guess that’s why you won’t get much debate mate

I’m probably going to sound like a right twat saying this, but if you want debate, maybe by making a suggestion of what you believe needs to or could be improved & how you think that improvement could be made would get people thinking more instead people being entrenched in Txiki good vs Txiki bad?
Which is essentially how 90% of this thread reads
Fair enough - good post. Thanks.
The successes and things that need addressing are fairly obvious. The assumption that without him we wouldnt have been successful or would have recruited a Woodward or whoever is at Everton is a strange counter point by some. But points taken. Cheers.

Fair enough - good post. Thanks.
The successes and things that need addressing are fairly obvious. The assumption that without him we wouldnt have been successful or would have recruited a Woodward or whoever is at Everton is a strange counter point by some. But points taken. Cheers.
You’d certainly think we’d get better than Woodward!!! And maybe we would maybe we wouldn’t be as successful with someone else in charge

But better the devil you know is it not?

I will point out that Barca’s record whilst Txiki was there was also ridiculous. Much the same as Pep, his record speaks for itself in both of the job’s he’s had. Without checking, I’d be amazed if there is a director of football worldwide with as many honours as Txiki, so on that metric, I’d make him the best in the world at his job (sorry Jurgen)

Anyhow, I’m off work feeling minging with Covid, so happy to debate mate. What areas would you suggest he/the club can improve on & how we should do it?

You’d certainly think we’d get better than Woodward!!! And maybe we would maybe we wouldn’t be as successful with someone else in charge

But better the devil you know is it not?

I will point out that Barca’s record whilst Txiki was there was also ridiculous. Much the same as Pep, his record speaks for itself in both of the job’s he’s had. Without checking, I’d be amazed if there is a director of football worldwide with as many honours as Txiki, so on that metric, I’d make him the best in the world at his job (sorry Jurgen)

Anyhow, I’m off work feeling minging with Covid, so happy to debate mate. What areas would you suggest he/the club can improve on & how we should do it?
You're probably right. I just get frustrated that we never seem to go for the jugular from a position of superiority.
I know, I know, ffp and, "the long patient game" .
On Txiki, I can't prove it/not prepared to, but heard that his style is a little too laboured and reactionary from those who do have dealings with him.
But as you rightly point out - unparalleled domestic success and better the Devil you know.
Ps You did pad out the successes somewhat, but I take your viewponts and I'm not saying he is doing a bad job, that would be churlish. On the contrary.

Sorry to hear about the Covid - hope you feel better soon. And thanks.

Just curious, are you talking about being able to read his past posts?
You can see everybody's posts that haven't been deleted.
He means you can't see them if you go to Billy's profile page, you can always search the forum or any particular thread however and they'll pop up. Anyone can do the same BTW in terms of blocking access to their profile page.

Pep does his best, but I think there is a problem with recruitment. Surely, with our record, we should have foreseen Aguero’s demise and recruited a World-class striker before he left, Harry Kane might have been an option but if his boss said no we should have secured someone in case. It might cost us this season, it is possible we end up without a trophy, and Pep might use it as an excuse to walk. It is obvious that if we don’t win Premier League and Champions League it is because we don’t have natural goal poachers.
Stop playing Fifa 22 and have a look at the real world bud, you'll be amazed how much more complicated it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.