Txiki Begiristain

We have unearthed some real bargains since the takeover and before Txiki.
Zaba
Vincent
clichy
Yaya
David
Sergio
Navas?
Dinho

And some dross

Since Txiki we have had bargains.
Bernado
Jesus
Ederson
Z

But no dross.

It's only Grealish for £100 million that stands out and only on the price.

However we still need a left back and a real presence up front.

Whilst I’m sure there is always room for improvement, having not worked with Txiki, I have no idea what he could improve up, so I can only look at it one way, which is simply

Txiki has been here since October 2012 & in that time

PL winners x4
Runners up x3

FA Cup x1
Runner up x1

League Cup winners x6

Trip to Wembley Shield x2

Doubles x3
Treble x1

Records

34 top flight wins in a calendar year
  • 18 away wins in a calendar year
  • Most PL goals in a calendar year... 106 - Man City (2021) 102 - Man City (2017) 99 - Man City (2018) 95 - Man City (2019) & Man Utd (2000)
  • 11 - Longest winning run by an English club in European Cup history
  • 7 - Longest winning run by an English club in European Cup history
  • Most top-flight wins in a calendar year: 36.
  • Most Premier League goals in a calendar year: 113.
  • Most top-flight away wins in a calendar year : 19.
  • Most consecutive wins in all competitions from a top-flight side: 21 (run started in 2020)
  • Most consecutive league wins from the start of a calendar year: 13
  • Most consecutive away wins in all competitions for a top-flight team:20 (run started in 2020)
  • Most consecutive unbeaten away matches without defeat: 23 (run started in 2020)
  • Most consecutive away league wins (top four divisions):12
  • Most City games without defeat in all competitions: 28 (run started in 2020)
  • First side to win the Premier League, Premier League 2 (u23) and u18 Premier League in the same season
  • 100 points in a season
vs

Not won the Champions League
Not signed a CF or LB

I can’t speak for what others think, but I’d guess that’s why you won’t get much debate mate

I’m probably going to sound like a right twat saying this, but if you want debate, maybe by making a suggestion of what you believe needs to or could be improved & how you think that improvement could be made would get people thinking more instead people being entrenched in Txiki good vs Txiki bad?
Which is essentially how 90% of this thread reads

Bummings.

We have unearthed some real bargains since the takeover and before Txiki.
Zaba
Vincent
clichy
Yaya
David
Sergio
Navas?
Dinho

And some dross

Since Txiki we have had bargains.
Bernado
Jesus
Ederson
Z

But no dross.

It's only Grealish for £100 million that stands out and only on the price.

However we still need a left back and a real presence up front.
There were a couple of dross signings - Nolito but he only cost us something like £14m so no big deal really, and Mangala

Also I'm pretty sure Fernandinho was signed under his watch and he's gonna go down as one of our best ever signings

He means you can't see them if you go to Billy's profile page, you can always search the forum or any particular thread however and they'll pop up. Anyone can do the same BTW in terms of blocking access to their profile page.
I can see them. Don't click on his profile page. Just click on his name and his total post count will be there.
If you click on that they will all pop up.

Was it obvious when we won the league last season that it was because we didn't have natural goal poachers (and instead utilised a false 9 system)
One of the main reasons we won the league last year is because Ilkay Gundogan stepped up and delivered more goals than anyone could have expected.

Riyad Mahrez has done the same this year, but will it be enough this time? Particularly when the final standings may well be decided on goal difference or goals scored..

A top level striker like Harry Kane would almost certainly have a significantly higher shot rate, and goals/shots ratio than both Gundogan and Mahrez.

In my opinion, if we don't win the PL this year, it will be down as much to our not paying the necessary for Harry Kane last summer, as it would be to Liverpool's exceptional season.

We dragged our feet in the market last summer. Pep and Txiki will be well aware of that, and that's why they'll go all out to get Haaland, regardless of wage demands etc.

It smacks very much of the Robin Van Persie situation to me. We should have learned from that.

There were a couple of dross signings - Nolito but he only cost us something like £14m so no big deal really, and Mangala

Also I'm pretty sure Fernandinho was signed under his watch and he's gonna go down as one of our best ever signings
Wilfried Bony and numerous players signed for seven figure sums who went out on loan or have since disappeared from view.

There’s an unnameable left back that would have been in this conversation even before his alleged criminal activity.

Bravo too.

One of the main reasons we won the league last year is because Ilkay Gundogan stepped up and delivered more goals than anyone could have expected.

Riyad Mahrez has done the same this year, but will it be enough this time? Particularly when the final standings may well be decided on goal difference or goals scored..

A top level striker like Harry Kane would almost certainly have a significantly higher shot rate, and goals/shots ratio than both Gundogan and Mahrez.

In my opinion, if we don't win the PL this year, it will be down as much to our not paying the necessary for Harry Kane last summer, as it would be to Liverpool's exceptional season.

We dragged our feet in the market last summer. Pep and Txiki will be well aware of that, and that's why they'll go all out to get Haaland, regardless of wage demands etc.

It smacks very much of the Robin Van Persie situation to me. We should have learned from that.
It’s impossible to say whether a Kane or Haaland would’ve made much difference.

Certainly in Harry’s case our freewheeling high pressing total football style would’ve been adversely affected by his lack of mobility so even though I take your point that conversion rates would’ve been better I offer the counter argument that we wouldn’t have created anything like the same amount of chances

It’s impossible to say whether a Kane or Haaland would’ve made much difference.

Certainly in Harry’s case our freewheeling high pressing total football style would’ve been adversely affected by his lack of mobility so even though I take your point that conversion rates would’ve been better I offer the counter argument that we wouldn’t have created anything like the same amount of chances
You must be joking.

You do know that Pep Guardiola actually wanted Harry Kane in the summer? You're effectively saying that Pep wanted a player who would disrupt his system. That's absolute nonsense.

Kane would score 30+ a season in the current squad, and Pep knows that. On paper, only Erling Haaland offers more than Kane. We know how good Kane is in the PL, we'll have to wait and see if Haaland delivers when ge gets here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.