U21s derby at Old Trafford on Tuesday

allan harper said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
allan harper said:
It's kicked off in the stand

you there mate ?
My mate was, he's just phoned me, it kicked off in the ground and all over outside, loads of lads up for it, no one wearing colours. One lad outside sparked clean out. For an older blue who's seen it all, he said it was bad.

Sounds like some went just for this reason.

g180aj said:
Craig said:
Realistically none of these lads have much chance of ever being good enough for our first team.Sure plenty will have decent careers but they're not anywhere near the quality we now need.

It's way too early for a few of these players to write them off, id go as far to say Keen Bryan and Manu Garcia will play for our first team and I like the look of Nemane in the few games I've seen him but for me Barker has a hell of a lot to do.

I hope you're right but I'm just thinking how outstanding the likes of Ned and Richards looked at this level. Sturridge was a lazy sod but would produce moments of sheer class at 16/17.I see some good players but nothing amazing with these lads, although they try to play the right way.

Re: U21's Derby

Damanino said:
Better not watch these youngster derbies for me. Last time I did that Wilson guy scored 4 goals on his own versus City...

Some of the best City U 21 players need a good two years out on loan playing and improving a lot. Very premature to say they should in first team.

Angelino, Barker Byrne et etc. Go to Championship like Kane did 3-4 times...
Come back stronger...

Wilson looks so far in front of our lads and he's nowhere near good enough for the Prem. Just goes to show these guys are miles off the first team.

In all likelihood we're rarely if ever going to produce an Aguero, the main point of the youth setup is to supplement the first team squad whilst buying the world class stars from elsewhere.

Of those who were out there today, I see potential in Angelino, Kean Bryan, Garcia, Pozo, Forfana, Bryne, and Barker (tho he was gash tonight), and they're all 17/18. I'm sure 1 or 2 will make it.

TBH in the immediate term we're only going to be seeing Denayer, Rekik, Lopes and Iheanacho getting a chance at making the squad

cookster said:
Damanino said:
Better not watch these youngster derbies for me. Last time I did that Wilson guy scored 4 goals on his own versus City...

Some of the best City U 21 players need a good two years out on loan playing and improving a lot. Very premature to say they should in first team.

Come back stronger...

Wilson looks so far in front of our lads and he's nowhere near good enough for the Prem. Just goes to show these guys are miles off the first team.

He's quick and strong, that shows up more at this level, esp when you're playing against players 1-2 years younger

Silva_Spell said:
In all likelihood we're rarely if ever going to produce an Aguero, the main point of the youth setup is to supplement the first team squad whilst buying the world class stars from elsewhere.

Of those who were out there today, I see potential in Angelino, Kean Bryan, Garcia, Pozo, Bryne, and Barker (tho he was gash tonight), and they're all 17/18

TBH in the immediate term we're only going to be seeing Denayer, Rekik, Lopes and Iheanacho getting a chance at making the squad

How many clubs produce 5 for their first team squad on a regular basis

cookster said:
Damanino said:

Come back stronger...

he is and will be good enough for the prem. he's had first team football though and is older thats the difference

Obviously a disappointing result and a flattering scoreline but I think some are missing the point of youth football. While winning trophies at that level is nice, the main aim is to prepare youngsters for a career in football - ideally at City. Tonight we saw City, for better or worse, play in the same style as the first team and dominate possession against a side much older than them. United played to prevent us from fashioning good chances by packing the defence and then hitting us on the break - not the way United fans will want to see their youth developed I'd imagine.

I think Angelino and Smith-Brown looked poor defensively, but mainly because of the system we played. When we had the ball they'd shift from full back to CM and either they, or Barker and Nemane on the wings, weren't fast enough to get back and fill the gaps they'd left when United won the ball and broke. Barker looked particularly unimpressive but he's had an incredibly long season - needs a good rest.

On the other hand, I was very impressed by Manu Garcia. Absolutely dominated the midfield at just 17 with clever footwork, good vision and an eye for a pass. Also has a useful trick whereby if he does overhit a pass, he never seems to give the ball away!

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
cookster said:
Damanino said:

Come back stronger...

he is and will be good enough for the prem. he's had first team football though and is older thats the difference

Our squad was a lot younger. We started with three 17 year old players, whereas United started with three players who've actually played a decent part of Premier League football. Experience is vital at that age.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.