UAP/UFO thread - Non-Human Intelligences

Flying or going to the moon doesn't breach the laws of physics, travelling faster than light does. Big difference.

And before anyone says "well, maybe the laws will be found to be wrong" - maybe, but there is zero evidence of that.

Agreed most physicists believe Einstein’s law “the speed of light” will not be broken it’s not up for debate
The things we may learn more about are black holes, worm holes etc

Agreed most physicists believe Einstein’s law “the speed of light” will not be broken it’s not up for debate
The things we may learn more about are black holes, worm holes etc

At one point we believed the speed of sound was the fastest thing possible. With finite distances. Found ways to extend the distances, found ways to achieve supersonic speed.

We used wires and analogue signal radio waves, until we turned to electronagnetic waves, satellites and wireless transmissions.

Trains went at the speed of coal converting water to steam, to electric, and at each stage considered the fastest possible, then someone came up with magnetic super speed trains. Aviation and space travel continues to push speeds and distances, both on the planet and away from it.

Technology continually improves, as science evolves. It won't happen in our lifetime most likely, but to argue something will never ever happen because we have reached some apex of understanding and ability, and there is just nowhere to progress from here, sorry, that's just naive. Particularly given the thousands of years to look back at.

At one point we believed the speed of sound was the fastest thing possible. With finite distances. Found ways to extend the distances, found ways to achieve supersonic speed.

We used wires and analogue signal radio waves, until we turned to electronagnetic waves, satellites and wireless transmissions.

Trains went at the speed of coal converting water to steam, to electric, and at each stage considered the fastest possible, then someone came up with magnetic super speed trains. Aviation and space travel continues to push speeds and distances, both on the planet and away from it.

Technology continually improves, as science evolves. It won't happen in our lifetime most likely, but to argue something will never ever happen because we have reached some apex of understanding and ability, and there is just nowhere to progress from here, sorry, that's just naive. Particularly given the thousands of years to look back at.

This is just not true, and has never been true since the advent of science.

We first measured the speed of light in the 17th century using planetary eclipses. We knew back then that light travelled at 100,000s of miles per second. And we’ve known ever since. We had guns that shot bullets at supersonic speed for hundreds of years. The crack of a whip (probably quite an old invention) also travels faster than the speed of sound.

The sound barrier was seen as a challenge of engineering due to the problems that occur with vehicle stability when going supersonic, it was not (and has never been) seen as a limitation within the confines of allowable behaviour within the frameworks determined by physical laws.

Put it this way.

It’s like me saying “walk through that wall there”
And you say “I can’t do that, that’s a ridiculous suggestion”
So I say “well we used to think we couldn’t walk through fences until we invented gates, but now we have gates we can do that, who’s to say we can’t walk through walls?”

It’s not a lack of ingenuity that stops us travelling at light speed. It is a strict physical limitation.

I will say that there are potentially ways to circumvent the need to travel at light speed (e.g. warping space-time as in wormholes). And that is a challenge of ingenuity, but that is an altogether different problem.

This is just not true, and has never been true since the advent of science.

We first measured the speed of light in the 17th century using planetary eclipses. We knew back then that light travelled at 100,000s of miles per second. And we’ve known ever since. We had guns that shot bullets at supersonic speed for hundreds of years. The crack of a whip (probably quite an old invention) also travels faster than the speed of sound.

The sound barrier was seen as a challenge of engineering due to the problems that occur with vehicle stability when going supersonic, it was not (and has never been) seen as a limitation within the confines of allowable behaviour within the frameworks determined by physical laws.

Put it this way.

It’s like me saying “walk through that wall there”
And you say “I can’t do that, that’s a ridiculous suggestion”
So I say “well we used to think we couldn’t walk through fences until we invented gates, but now we have gates we can do that, who’s to say we can’t walk through walls?”

It’s not a lack of ingenuity that stops us travelling at light speed. It is a strict physical limitation.

I will say that there are potentially ways to circumvent the need to travel at light speed (e.g. warping space-time as in wormholes). And that is a challenge of ingenuity, but that is an altogether different problem.

You are arguing that things are completely different, by applying the same thought process that has time and time again moved on.

We didn't think it possible to split an atom. Heck we didn't even know what an atom was not that long ago. And now we have the higgs boson particle, which again was unimaginable and theoretically impossible.

It is easy to dismess things retrospectively, but they were never as simple as you make out now, with the benefit of hindsight.

Your gate analogy though is not that bad. And yes, I guess in that context in some ways I am in a perverse twist of words, that is what I am arguing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.