Uefas new money laws?

The Shrike said:
So you will win your titles, and no doubt enjoy looking down on teams that you convince yourselves felt superior to you back in the day (which is wrong - many people used to have you as their 'second' team). But Chelsea's 'dream team' cannot fill a 42K seater stadium consistently, and their experience demonstrates that while your following may be increased by some plastics - respect and admiration are harder to come by.

Oh no! Please don't pity us! Someone's 2nd team! We are not worthy!

I couldn't give a flying fuck about other teams and I never have. As has been said before noone gave us a second glance when we were not a threat. Times have changed. Do you honestly think we would be challenging without Mansour? Money makes the world go round.

Deal with it.

bluemonkey71 said:
The Shrike said:
So you will win your titles, and no doubt enjoy looking down on teams that you convince yourselves felt superior to you back in the day (which is wrong - many people used to have you as their 'second' team). But Chelsea's 'dream team' cannot fill a 42K seater stadium consistently, and their experience demonstrates that while your following may be increased by some plastics - respect and admiration are harder to come by.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about other teams and I never have. As has been said before noone gave us a second glance when we were not a threat. Times have changed. Do you honestly think we would be challenging without Mansour? Money makes the world go round.

Deal with it.

Dear oh dear. People didn't pity you - they empathised with the fact that you had proper fans who supported your club in huge numbers despite you being relegated through 2 divisions. Money makes the world go round - and also changes people for the worse. looks like its working its majic with you lot in double quick time.

And we are happy to deal with your new found wealth. Doesn't mean we can;t debate what it means.

The Shrike said:
bluemonkey71 said:

Deal with it.

Dear oh dear. People didn't pity you - they empathised with the fact that you had proper fans who supported your club in huge numbers despite you being relegated through 2 divisions. Money makes the world go round - and also changes people for the worse. looks like its working its majic with you lot in double quick time.

And we are happy to deal with your new found wealth. Doesn't mean we can;t debate what it means.
you're not debating

you're pontificating

although you do sound a lot like a mass debater for the arse, continually going on about 'the right way'
move along now we're bored with your shit

squirtyflower said:
The Shrike said:

you're not debating

you're pontificating

although you do sound a lot like a mass debater

lol - I see what you did there!

I would buy that other teams don't want to be in our position if not for the Liverpool fans being a good case study. Liverpool fans looking for a new owner, 'oh we don't want to be another City'. Rumours of a takeover backed by Chinese sovereign wealth fund and they were shouting from the rooftops on RAWK. As soon as it became apparent that wasn't happening back to, 'good, we didn't want to become another City'. Same with the rags over Rooney, and many on here in the opposite direction. Football fans are a fickle breed who are prepared to accept almost anything that will help their club be a success, including, strangely, not saying no to free money. I imagine if a prospective Sheikh Mansour took over Arsenal tomorrow promising to bring trophies and slash ticket prices in half, the vast vast majority would become giddy schoolgirls within a matter of seconds. The mere implication that you'd be any different suggests to me that you think you've got more morally upstanding fans than either us or Liverpool. I've seen no evidence of this whatsoever and without that evidence, you just look like a smug superior arrogant twunt.

The Shrike said:
Shhesh. You lot are becoming like plastic Chav fans - but in record time. As you'd expect - I know loads of Chav fans - and many old school fans are honest enough to admit that while they will take success at any price, they would rather that they could have achieved this without financial doping.

And that is the bottom line. You can compare what you are doing now with big clubs having financial clout in the past, but this just doesn't stack up. We are not talking about financial 'clout' in your case. We are talking a bottomless pit of money that can be spent heedlessly; without risk - players can be bought for record sums just to see if they will succeed, and then discarded at will. Comparing this to even the likes of Manure or Liverhoof in their pomp is ridiculous - and deep down most of you know it. And comparing your spending power to Arsenal's - are you serious?

Most fans aren't jealous, or envious of you. I prefer my club's relative lack of financial muscle to hoovering up every mercenary around - and it is great to have more 'big' games and an opportunity to pitch our organic team against your so-called 'dream team'.

And what you defensively characterise as lecturing is no such thing. What outsiders are asking, and rightly so, is whether the ability to spend so big; with a complete absense of any balancing factors, is good for the game. I'm not going to convince you that what you are doing is in a different stratosphere to what the so-called 'big four' (less the Chavs) were doing prior to 2009, but that doesn't mean that asking the question is invalid.

Anybody with half a brain cell would prefer to do it a different way, but the way football is structured these days it's impossible to do it the so-called "right way" and as such spending large sums of money is the only way of bridging the gap between mid-table and the top 4. The days of doing an Ipswich or a Derby or a Forest are long gone - unless you're bankrolled by a rich owner of course.

It wasn't City that created this situation so why we're getting the blame for "ruining football" is beyond me. The likes of UEFA are to blame for offering ridiculous sums of money to teams that play in the Champions League in an attempt to maintain the cosy status quo of the G14 clubs, while at the same time paying a pittance for those that compete in the Europa League. The imbalance between the two is nothing short of a joke.

Look at almost every big European club and you will find that at some point in their history they've benefitted from an injection of cash from a rich benefactor - I mean, how did Arsenal manage to bribe themselves a top-flight spot in 1919? It wasn't with fresh air was it? I'm not denying that City are doing it on a different scale to what has happened in the past, but ever since the sport became professional someone somewhere has been prepared to raise the bar in terms of spending on transfers and wages.

Anyway, if you weren't already aware, the Sheikh has a long-term plan for investment in the club and the city itself - if you think we're going to be spending £100 million-plus every transfer window then you're totally mistaken. In time, the area in and around Eastlands will be completely unrecognisable to what it is now. There will also be thousands of new jobs created in one of the most deprived inner-city areas of the country. Are you going to moan about that as well?

-- Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:37 am --

Skashion said:
I would buy that other teams don't want to be in our position if not for the Liverpool fans being a good case study. Liverpool fans looking for a new owner, 'oh we don't want to be another City'. Rumours of a takeover backed by Chinese sovereign wealth fund and they were shouting from the rooftops on RAWK. As soon as it became apparent that wasn't happening back to, 'good, we didn't want to become another City'. Same with the rags over Rooney, and many on here in the opposite direction. Football fans are a fickle breed who are prepared to accept almost anything that will help their club be a success, including, strangely, not saying no to free money. I imagine if a prospective Sheikh Mansour took over Arsenal tomorrow promising to bring trophies and slash ticket prices in half, the vast vast majority would become giddy schoolgirls within a matter of seconds. The mere implication that you'd be any different suggests to me that you think you've got more morally upstanding fans than either us or Liverpool. I've seen no evidence of this whatsoever and without that evidence, you just look like a smug superior arrogant twunt.

Exactly. It's easier to complain about this kind of thing when your own club is in a position of relative strength, and that's what Arsenal are at the moment. If however, they hadn't won anything for over 30 years, were on their arse financially and on the brink of administration, their fans would be singing a completely different tune. It reminds me of United in the late 1980's - apart from a few FA Cups, their glory days were well and truly in the past. As soon as stories of Edwards selling the club to Knighton surfaced many of them indulged in a mass circle-jerk because they thought Knighton was their sugar daddy and that he would put far more money into the club than Edwards ever did.

As for Arsenal fans supposedly being more morally upstanding than us, I think the disgraceful booing of Eboue a couple of seasons back tells it's own story.

M18CTID said:
The Shrike said:
Shhesh. You lot are becoming like plastic Chav fans - but in record time. As you'd expect - I know loads of Chav fans - and many old school fans are honest enough to admit that while they will take success at any price, they would rather that they could have achieved this without financial doping.

And that is the bottom line. You can compare what you are doing now with big clubs having financial clout in the past, but this just doesn't stack up. We are not talking about financial 'clout' in your case. We are talking a bottomless pit of money that can be spent heedlessly; without risk - players can be bought for record sums just to see if they will succeed, and then discarded at will. Comparing this to even the likes of Manure or Liverhoof in their pomp is ridiculous - and deep down most of you know it. And comparing your spending power to Arsenal's - are you serious?

Most fans aren't jealous, or envious of you. I prefer my club's relative lack of financial muscle to hoovering up every mercenary around - and it is great to have more 'big' games and an opportunity to pitch our organic team against your so-called 'dream team'.

And what you defensively characterise as lecturing is no such thing. What outsiders are asking, and rightly so, is whether the ability to spend so big; with a complete absense of any balancing factors, is good for the game. I'm not going to convince you that what you are doing is in a different stratosphere to what the so-called 'big four' (less the Chavs) were doing prior to 2009, but that doesn't mean that asking the question is invalid.

Anybody with half a brain cell would prefer to do it a different way, but the way football is structured these days it's impossible to do it the so-called "right way" and as such spending large sums of money is the only way of bridging the gap between mid-table and the top 4. The days of doing an Ipswich or a Derby or a Forest are long gone - unless you're bankrolled by a rich owner of course.

It wasn't City that created this situation so why we're getting the blame for "ruining football" is beyond me. The likes of UEFA are to blame for offering ridiculous sums of money to teams that play in the Champions League in an attempt to maintain the cosy status quo of the G14 clubs, while at the same time paying a pittance for those that compete in the Europa League. The imbalance between the two is nothing short of a joke.

Look at almost every big European club and you will find that at some point in their history they've benefitted from an injection of cash from a rich benefactor - I mean, how did Arsenal manage to bribe themselves a top-flight spot in 1919? It wasn't with fresh air was it? I'm not denying that City are doing it on a different scale to what has happened in the past, but ever since the sport became professional someone somewhere has been prepared to raise the bar in terms of spending on transfers and wages.

Anyway, if you weren't already aware, the Sheikh has a long-term plan for investment in the club and the city itself - if you think we're going to be spending £100 million-plus every transfer window then you're totally mistaken. In time, the area in and around Eastlands will be completely unrecognisable to what it is now. There will also be thousands of new jobs created in one of the most deprived inner-city areas of the country. Are you going to moan about that as well?

A sensible post. I didn't realise that Mansour was investing so much in the city until I came on here, and he deserves propers for that. And you've put your finger on an important issue - are people blaming City? I'm not - and I know that 90% of clubs would do the same as you.

I am not moaning. What I came on here asking was whether the level/manner of spending that you can achieve is a good thing - and I mean in the game, not in inner city regeneration (which, BTW Arsenal have already done with the Emirates project). And I haven't seen anything to convince me of this.

I accept the 'principle' argument that you are raising with your reference to 91 years ago - but do you think something that happened at Arsenal in the amateur era of football really has any relevance to the modern game?

-- Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:39 am --

The Shrike said:
squirtyflower said:
you're not debating

you're pontificating

although you do sound a lot like a mass debater

lol - I see what you did there!

And you look very, very chippy.<br /><br />-- Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:40 am --<br /><br />
M18CTID said:
The Shrike said:

-- Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:37 am --

Skashion said:

Exactly. It's easier to complain about this kind of thing when your own club is in a position of relative strength, and that's what Arsenal are at the moment. If however, they hadn't won anything for over 30 years, were on their arse financially and on the brink of administration, their fans would be singing a completely different tune. It reminds me of United in the late 1980's - apart from a few FA Cups, their glory days were well and truly in the past. As soon as stories of Edwards selling the club to Knighton surfaced many of them indulged in a mass circle-jerk because they thought Knighton was their sugar daddy and that he would put far more money into the club than Edwards ever did.

Apart from your reference to complining - which is wrong. I agree 100% with your post.

The Shrike said:

And please enlighten us with your wisdom my friend as to why we were some peoples 2nd favoutite team. ??

Was it the fact we were up and down like a hookers knickers ??
Was it the fact that we were always good for an away win or draw ??
Was it our fans and their ability to laugh at themselves ??
Or was it the fact that you hated manchester united with a passion ??

I have great respect and admiration for my club have been with them through thick and thin.

I've had no concerns about other fans views of us for 40 years so im not going to start now...

quote;"I prefer my club's relative lack of financial muscle to hoovering up every mercenary around - and it is great to have more 'big' games and an opportunity to pitch our organic team against your so-called 'dream team'".

So if an arab shiekh came along you'd say no thanks. ??

the shrike brilliant post glad you've got a team full of foreigners who come over here and pay £3.50 a week to get their kit washed and work fultime in the local chippy to pay their way don't know whether its to good for the english game to have so many imports who play for nothing i mean whats this going to do for other teams pay structure but on up side nice to know u won't have any mercenaries at your club anelka would never ever fall into that category now would he. but please stop with ooh u were everybodies second time until it looked like we might beat them routine its getting boring, and has for being plastic chav fans our crowds haven't altered much since the sheikh took control of the club what do you know about our support nothing i would suggest if your lot had hadn't won anything for 35 years and had dropped to mid way down 3rd div the 10k that would be left would be clammerin for any investment going we've just been very lucky the investment came our way do you think we're going to turn our backs on the club because of it get real.

It never ceases to amaze me the convenience an Arsenal fan can introduct into ANY debate.

A club that has been 'financially doped' as you seem happy to level the accusation at ourselves for.

With no hint of irony you have been doped to the eyeballs for the last decade, certainly the last six.

It's called the Champions League.

A closed shop until in the last couple of seasons your desperation has been nothing short of palpable stopping Spurs and now ourselves from grabbing the supposed glory of fourth spot.

Fourth, albiet would be welcome, is not our perception of future glory.

Whereas for Wenger, it has been the wool to pull over Arsenal's fans' eyes, at his and the team's own shortcomings.

The Arsenal board currently consists of a an American sports francise owner in Stan Kronke.

A billionaire is Usmailov

A diamond trader in Danny Fizman

Oh, and Lady Nina Bracewell. Who holds Arsenal shares at £7000 a pop, but keeps hold of em because she loves the club.

Yeah Right. You are at the whim of profiteering, more than our ever could or will be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.