United 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started watching City in 1954, and at that time was taken by an uncle who was a Rag , but had season tickets for both City and United, and just enjoyed watching football.

I think that was quite common at that time.

The rivalry did seem to commence in the 60's , although following the Munich disaster there was a massive swing in support for the Rags as I recall.

My Dad was a blue and my uncle, his twin brother , was a Rag.

In the 50`s and early 60`s they used to go to Maine Road one week and Swamp the next, similar to what other posters have spoken about. To them it was the norm and it was only because my Uncle changed jobs and had to work on a Saturday that it stopped.

In my experience the ramping up of the rivalry started in the 60s and has become stronger than ever in recent years. Don't forget that the rags played their league games at Maine Road after the war until 1949 so I suppose a good number of locally based City fans would trot along to watch United at their own home ground.

Yes it was very common as club loyalty was nowhere near as closely defined back in the day. Indeed a lot of people who attended games in those days
were football fans in general first and club supporters second. Also a lot of people would decide on the spur of the moment to go see a match pay a few bob
and trot up on the terrace. Most people had less to do in their free time back then and it was probably a good way to spend an afternoon/evening.
These days although I would consider going to the swamp( if I got a free ticket and could celebrate when the opposition scored) I would much rather go see our under 18's.
The main reason being that our current youngsters play football at a level that Maureen can only dream about and are well worth the modest entry fee and I urge Blues to
get down there and support them for the rest of the season.

Is David Gill on Holiday?

BBC already making excuses for the draw. Saying they only have 3 days to prepare for the away leg...

Yes it was very common as club loyalty was nowhere near as closely defined back in the day. Indeed a lot of people who attended games in those days
were football fans in general first and club supporters second. Also a lot of people would decide on the spur of the moment to go see a match pay a few bob
and trot up on the terrace. Most people had less to do in their free time back then and it was probably a good way to spend an afternoon/evening.
These days although I would consider going to the swamp( if I got a free ticket and could celebrate when the opposition scored) I would much rather go see our under 18's.
The main reason being that our current youngsters play football at a level that Maureen can only dream about and are well worth the modest entry fee and I urge Blues to
get down there and support them for the rest of the season.
I wouldn't even go to that dump if I was paid.
I've only been to watch city there once in the fa cup.
Fucking hate the place

Is David Gill on Holiday?

BBC already making excuses for the draw. Saying they only have 3 days to prepare for the away leg...
They're only going to get back from Russia about 48 hours before the FA cup game against Chelsea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.