United 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
The europa league should have as much importance as the Carling Cup - no serious teams aim to win these comps and the quarter finals tend to be populated with teams who aren't in contention to win their domestic league

Big deal

There is of course still a possibility the raggies won't win a thing. Or be in the CL. I'm still hopeful.

I worked in Amsterdam and have friends who live there and I'm fortunate to go to a few Ajax games. I have never left their stadium impressed or thinking Ajax would be anything more than a Southampton or West Ham in our league. I really don't hold much hope of them breaking down 10 men behind nd the ball.

I worked in Amsterdam and have friends who live there and I'm fortunate to go to a few Ajax games. I have never left their stadium impressed or thinking Ajax would be anything more than a Southampton or West Ham in our league. I really don't hold much hope of them breaking down 10 men behind nd the ball.
Southampton are more than capable of beating the scum with a fair ref and competent linesmen.

I was thinking of starting a new thread about this, but it probably isn't worth it. However I do have a Europa League related question:

If/when United with the Europa League. What are they celebrating? Are they celebrating winning the Europa League or are they celebrating being in the Champions League for next season?

That is the problem with the Europa League, the whole aim of it is not to be in it next season!
I guess it's a bit like getting promoted from the Championship. You get a short hit of euphoria followed by the excitement of knowing you're back in the big time.
Media hype and high hopes follow, but this soon wears off when the realities of stepping up a level start to hit home.

Then you find out that you've actually taken a step out of your small pond and are now just going to make up the numbers. Unless something radical happens, you tread water more and more each year as you refuse to countenance the fact that you are now an also ran.
Eventually the second tier cups and achievements become your main goals and points of celebration - and that is their point - to give those with no chance of the top prizes something to aspire to.

I guess it's a bit like getting promoted from the Championship. You get a short hit of euphoria followed by the excitement of knowing you're back in the big time.
Media hype and high hopes follow, but this soon wears off when the realities of stepping up a level start to hit home.

Then you find out that you've actually taken a step out of your small pond and are now just going to make up the numbers. Unless something radical happens, you tread water more and more each year as you refuse to countenance the fact that you are now an also ran.
Eventually the second tier cups and achievements become your main goals and points of celebration - and that is their point - to give those with no chance of the top prizes something to aspire to.

Christ where are we then!

The europa league should have as much importance as the Carling Cup - no serious teams aim to win these comps and the quarter finals tend to be populated with teams who aren't in contention to win their domestic league

Big deal
Sorry but the Europa league is a huge trophy. Would have loved to see city win it a few years ago.

If a united go on to win that they've had a much better season than us even if they fail to get top 4

We would be buzzing if we got to the final end of, and we would love to win it. We would celebrate like fuck too. Just like we would if we won the "tin pot" league cup.
This is just sour grapes because we have been shit and won fuck all this year.
We are jealous of uniteds success all over again, something i thought we had finally seen the back of.

For myself if they win then fair do's you can only beat who is put in front of you but the competition does seem weak this season. In seasons past the final has rivaled the cl quality and then some. A win is a win though if they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.