United (A) | Post Match Thread

The most worrying stat for me is one shot on target - that stat doesn’t win many games. I just sense all is not well.
And none against southampton, three on target v Everton and three on target away at Chelsea. We are so far of it at the moment. That’s four of our last 5 games we’ve had a combined 7 shots on target.

Come off it, man. Ederson didn't have a clue which player was going to shoot - Rashford was definitely interfering. Akanji would have been better off just pushing Rashford over to prove he was interfering, which is ridiculous. It's not the letter of the law.

I share your frustration and everyone else who thinks im being a dick,but the law as i read it states he wasnt ofside.

Apparently Dermot Gallagher has confirmed that VAR did not get involved.
If that's the case then that's all we need to know about was is going on at the moment. Same as Liverpool vs Wolves last week. If certain sides can be favored by twisting the rules then its going to happen. In the Liverpool game the referee signaled to the linesman to raise the offside flag despite the fact that the referee was not in a position to call it - he was too far behind the ball on a tight line call. The linesman raises the flag and suddenly the VAR information is 'not available' and the referee has not made a 'clear and obvious error' in calling the offside so its not an offside. Anyone remember a cup semifinal against Arsenal that we lost because a linesman had ruled a ball out of play despite not being level with the line (he was miles behind the play and so couldn't possibly have called it.)

In today's game, we all know Rashford was offside and the linesman raised his flag (in most people's mind correctly - because he was interfering with play in affecting what the city player's needed to do). The referee decides to overrule it on the utter nonsense principle of 'he didn't touch the ball' - this is despite the fact he was practically shepherding it and the City players couldn't simply clear it. Its unbelievable really. Anyone remember a Derby at Old Trafford where the Goat scored the winner only for it to over-ruled for a hairline brush off Anelka's glove that you needed binocular's to see.

But here is the thing, about whether VAR was called in or not today. From the referee's position I think its impossible to tell that Rashford didn't get a nibble on that bobbling ball, in fact any amateur footballer knows that when a ball is bobbling like that you leave it alone to make up its mind what its going to do, as its likely to come off your shins as much as your toes. It bobbled close enough to Rashford for VAR to be needed to be certain that he didn't glance it, (the whole thing is BS but what can you do).

That incident turned the game completely.#

There's nothing wrong with VAR - its just the 'crafty' way its been implemented: clear and obvious error, no need for ref to consult VAR, VAR will always be consulted when a goal is scored, Anfield didn't have VAR information so it doesn't matter etc. Its a system set to fail, and seemingly set to allow just enough slack to favour the usual favourites - this week has shown that clearly. Absolutely gutted.

It’s there in black and white, is Rashford being stood offside in between the ball and Akanji obstructing Akanjis line of vision ? Of course he is
Nevermind it also makes the 2 defenders hesitate and consider Rashford someone who needs dealing with and makes Ederson concentrate and position himself to deal with a shot from Rashford

Apart from scoring himself he couldn’t be doing much more to interfere with play

It’s just a complete fuck up
Absolutely right, and regardless of what the defenders are doing, if Rashord isn't there Eddy just comes and boots that out of harms way. The very presence of Gashfrod dancing around the ball stop him doing that.

The absolute worst decision in the VAR era.

Its destroyed the game in my opinion. We may as well be watching WWE

He actually chased after the pass..he wasn't merely stood in an offside position was he.
By the action of going after the ball he must have been interfering with play..
If he had stood still I would say yes he's offside but not attempting to influence play

Is the correct answer, and the correct interpretation of the rules.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.