United (H) - League Cup SF 2nd Leg Post-Match Thread

Was disappointed with the performance last night, but am more sanguine about it today. The hard work was done at Old Trafford, and last night was just about seeing the job through which we did. Would've been nice to have beaten them in both legs, but it'll soon be forgotten and the history books will show that we made it to the final, and they didn't. Still no idea why David Silva didn't shoot, but he has plenty of credit in the bank.
The only aspect of our performance that was poor was the finishing. Shooting has always been a flaw in Silva's game. Unselfish by nature.

We beat Utd in the previous League Cup semi-final 1st leg and it counted for nothing. I can't watch or think about that game with any fondness because it meant nothing in the end. This morning it is City fans who are thinking about Wembley whilst another door closes on Man Utd's season, and their long run of failure goes on.

I don't know what was going on last night but it should have been 3-1 again, why our players don't take a shot when it's on I don't know. We seem to have turned into Arsenal after their invincible season when they just started overplaying and missing chance after chance to kill games off. It is a worrying sign as is the fact that we have lost twice to United at home this season when they are shit.
Overall our goals scored record is good. Sterling and some other players are wasteful.

It is very possible to look at this in a positive light. We score an unprecedented amount of goals, and yet how good would City be if we improve our conversion rate and sort the defence out (which Laporte will surely do)?

I don't regard our finishing as too big a deal. We have an exceptional forward on the books in Jesus, and Sterling is one of those players who goes through peaks and troughs with his form

The only aspect of our performance that was poor was the finishing.
I don't think we passed it with our usual fluency either tbh. In the first half in particular we ceded possession unnecessarily numerous times. Not that it really matters now, of course.

agree

we didn't finish well although I do feel for aguero who only didn't score due to their keepers good reactions.

stats show we where the better team, in the first half it looked like rags couldn't get the ball. Had we won nil we would be posting on here that we controlled the game and it was easy. End of day goals win, but you cant take away the fact that we where the better team by quite some margin. As always though we need to tighten up on the one chance goes in and fucks us over. Would it have happened with ederson & LaPorte ?

already know the final will be a park the bus villa then kick and hope
I’ve mentioned this earlier but it’s rather bizarre, almost fated, that teams get one to two shots on goal and manage to score every time. It’s maybe the Gods trying to keep this great club humble.

Unbelievably negative and nasty towards the club, manager, and players in here yet again. If the average comment in here equates to the average match going City fan (which I doubt is true, but maybe it is) then there can’t be a more deluded and spoiled fan base in football.

Yes the season hasn’t gone as well as any of us would have expected, but we just reached a final, and are in the latter stages of the other 2 cups, second in the league, top scorers in the league, and up against a liverpool who have had a perfect storm of good performances, luck, VAR, effectiveness rather than brilliance. In any other season we would be challenging for the title, we are as unlucky to be up against them this season as they were against us last. It happens and it does NOT make us shit. The criticism, and the tone of it, in here is appalling, and seems to relate to more than 50% of the posters. Last night I was as disappointed as anyone, but FFS we weren’t shit, in the same way we were not on top of our game, but they scored from their only shot, we had 2 goals (rightly but closely) disallowed, missed countless chances, and donut boy made 4 excellent saves, it happens, but we still went through to yet another final, so how the fuck does that lead to such malevolence on here? The abuse for Pep and this team, who have given us 198 points, 2 league cups, and a cup and 2 charity shields in the last 2 years is a FUCKING DISGRACE.
I actually was at York away, but I don’t remember it with any fondness, it was a fucking horrible day (after 3 pm anyway) and was symptomatic of how bad we were as a team, and how poorly run we were as a club, when compared to now. I am 60 years old, and I am still living the dream, the great players, the great football, and the trophies. I get really disappointed (I mean really really) when we lose, but it doesn’t cause me to lash out at the manager and the players. We have a moaning cunnt who sits next to our seats, every game he just moans at literally every misplaced pass, every missed opportunity, every counter attack by the opposition, and frankly it’s fucking draining to listen to. It seems he is not a one off and exists in fucking huge numbers of posters in here, dismal beyond belief.
Excellent post BBS, some really just like to rant over anything and everything sadly

I do blame it on injuries. Injuries to Laporte and a lesser extent Stones.

In terms of total days lost to injury, I haven't seen the stats, but Liverpool and Man Utd have lost a lot more players but as you say Liverpool have handled it. I think their defence would be wrecked if they lost Van Dijk. City handled losing KDB last season. Some players are key to every team as no squad is perfect.
I think form has as much to do with it. Imagine ‘world class’ Sterling scoring even 50% of his chances over the two legs of the semi. That would have made a difference as would a fully functioning John Stones over the season. Then we have seen dips from Bernie (now happily sorted) and Dave.

I wonder if a brand new shape was what the team needed last night.

Calmed down now. Went over the top last night.

I hate losing to them.

However we're through to the final and they aren't. It was up to them to score at least 2 and they didn't manage it.

Lots of players didn't play well but I guess they knew they had a 2 goal lead.

Need to finish better but I don't know how Pep can get players to do that.

I don't think we passed it with our usual fluency either tbh. In the first half in particular we ceded possession unnecessarily numerous times. Not that it really matters now, of course.
We weren't great but we weren't terrible. But the reality is that we still totally outplayed them and should have battered them. Looks to me like Pep has (not surprisingly) completely lost trust in our defending without LaPorte and in fishing for a solution is disrupting our fluency. If LaPorte gets back soon and stays fit, I think it solves a lot of our problems because defensively we will undoubtedly be much stronger and we can revert to more usual formations and play our usual game.

Reactions: Ric
Who cares, we won the tie and that is all that matters.

City give away a free kick they might have scored from.......sack em all, useless ****s.

I care. I’m sick to fucking death of them beating us at home. I’m fucking sick of us playing matches like they don’t matter - the manager moans that the fans don’t turn up for cup games and that’s why

They play like it doesn’t matter. They are careless, vacant and generally take things for granted and play with no aggression

We got beat at home against 10 shit United players. Nowhere near good enough

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.