United (H) | Post Match Thread

What did everybody think of Gomez when he came on? I felt like he really struggled positionally, its understandable as he's young and playing LB for us in a derby is much different to LB for Anderlecht. Very tidy on the ball obviously so was interesting to see him moved into a 6/8 later on.

Different levels between the teams, if Walker had stayed on i think we could've got into double figures tbfh. I can't think of any player in the United team that came off well, a couple of mentions for Anthony on Twitter but from my seat in 307 it looked like Cancelo had him locked down all game...was completely useless until he scored.

A special shout out for Ake and Akanji, looked brilliant together and both of them winning towering headers and driving out of defence with the ball was beautiful to watch.
Whilst I cover my eyes when a left footer takes a pen, i do like the idea of a natural left-footer playing left back. The kid is gonna improve under Pep's tutelage and his cross to Haarland was a measure of what's in the lad. He's a good acquisition, and will only get better.

Did well for the goal, i think he just got put under pressure by the whole team switching off, he should of just played simple passes but kept losing posession. Akanji is the man, looking like a 1 st choice for sure
Fair shout mate, some of Ederson's passes to Gomez were atrocious.

i've waxed about City in this thread, so perhaps time to talk about the subs and United.

Gomez....has some learning to do. Is about all. He looks quite tidy with ball at feet but he was shoved around a bit. Palmer, again, has work to do - he seems so safe, i really want to see what he can do, at the moment he isn't shining. Alvarez seems to be doing too much running without thinking how to properly apply that energy. That being said, he probably should have scored and hopefully will all settle in for him after a season of learning.

United were garbage. I cant for the life of me work out why Casemiro didnt play, maybe they thought McTominay's aggression was going to be enough? it usually isn't, and it wasn't. They surrendered a big gap in the centre, allowed our centre halfs to move up and they never got to grips with Foden and Grealish. Martial should have started, he seems to do well in derbies, with Rashford benched. End of the day, they got blown away in the first 45.
Think it's harsh on Palmer, he needs games right now and i actually think him starting to play a bit safer is something that is being coached into him. When he came into the team he was more head down and go direct to goal, adding a bit extra to his game now but he just needs some real minutes in the PL. I have zero worries about Alvarez on the other hand, he's getting short shrifts of game time right now and is really trying to do a lot to impress but once he gets a 90mins i'm sure we'll see his real talent.

Have to say Ten Bob is a tactical genius. Setting up his team with four defenders (I use the word loosely) and then six players in front of them who either had no positional sense, were lazy or both was inventive. Some of the ball boys probably covered more ground than the PL player of the month, how anyone thinks that Mcthingyshit is a footballer is beyond me and what the fuck is the hype around Sancho. He obviously wants six weeks off in November and December and he will probably get his wish.

That said we were magnificent and whilst EH and PF will get the plaudits I thought Silva was MOTM, what a player and thankfully we have him for at least this season.

What a match! Ended up having to drive half way round the country afterwards, only got back midnight so thought I'd log in here and enjoy basking in the afterglow this morning.

The most dominant first half of football I think I've ever witnessed. Just astonishing. Foden and Grealish absolutely destroyed their full backs. Not going to lie, until the second went I was bricking it because it's often the way that such dominance without the goals backfires.

4-0 half time was if anything a let off.

What a game.

Enjoyed the Poznan too.

And waving their fans goodbye.

Happy Days.

View attachment 57284
Really was the Emptihad in the away section yesterday

Think it's harsh on Palmer, he needs games right now and i actually think him starting to play a bit safer is something that is being coached into him. When he came into the team he was more head down and go direct to goal, adding a bit extra to his game now but he just needs some real minutes in the PL. I have zero worries about Alvarez on the other hand, he's getting short shrifts of game time right now and is really trying to do a lot to impress but once he gets a 90mins i'm sure we'll see his real talent.

yes, perhaps we'll see more of Palmer against Copenhagen.... i know Pep prefers to get jobs done before playing supposedly 'weaker' XIs, but i think Palmer might feature from the start.

What did everybody think of Gomez when he came on? I felt like he really struggled positionally, its understandable as he's young and playing LB for us in a derby is much different to LB for Anderlecht. Very tidy on the ball obviously so was interesting to see him moved into a 6/8 later on.

Different levels between the teams, if Walker had stayed on i think we could've got into double figures tbfh. I can't think of any player in the United team that came off well, a couple of mentions for Anthony on Twitter but from my seat in 307 it looked like Cancelo had him locked down all game...was completely useless until he scored.

A special shout out for Ake and Akanji, looked brilliant together and both of them winning towering headers and driving out of defence with the ball was beautiful to watch.
akanji reminded of prime vinnie yesterday. Big, strong, solid defensively, and calm when coming out with the ball.
very impressed with him so far! Looks a steal at 17mil

What I did like about Gomez was he got to the pace of the game very quickly, was positive in everything he did & linked up with those in front very well, can’t comment on his positioning as I was sat pitch level, but I’m sure he would of had Pep on his case second half if he wasn’t positionally correct, looked like he could be got at with cross-field aerial balls, but lots to work with

I forgot to mention it yesterday, but when the fourth went in, I heard a female in the row behind us say, "I’m going to be unbearable at home this evening."

I mentioned it to Mrs Vienna, and she must have heard me, as at half-time, she came and explained that she has been married to a red for 23 years and he is now getting back all the shit he threw her way for years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.