United (N) | FA Cup Final | Post-Match Thread

Surprised at the lack of gear the Club Shop is carrying, suppose they’re waiting until next week for potential treble merchandise, but those Kings of the Cup shirt some of the players were wearing afterward were smart. Only a keychain and a coffee mug on the official shop.
lol, mate if you’re looking for some gear, I’m not sure the Club Shop is the best place to look.

I mentioned Terry because he very clearly intentionally made himself big with the idea of using any part of his body to block shots. He did it on a regular basis and was not penalised often enough.

That very obviously was not what Jack did yesterday. If you look at the right video angle you see Jack has his eyes closed and didn’t see the ball, wasn’t making himself big or doing anything unnatural.

Neither situation is difficult to interpret correctly.

If you go back to first principles, handball has to be deliberate and that has to extend to not deliberately keeping your arm out of the way / taking evasive action where you can.

I believe that referee’s should make judgements on that, they make judgements on other rules. The issue is, and long has been, having referees who are competent at making those decisions.

I hate VAR with a passion, but making big decisions (in the box) should be even easier with access to multiple video angles etc.
Agreed. Now if Terry was still clattering people today at Stamford Bridge & on hearing this decided to modify his making himself big tactic to include "Where am I supposed to put my arms when jumping, & I wasn't even looking at the ball", what then?

Who judges if his arms were in an unnatural position & if there was intent? Terry & his team mates are claiming there was no intent & Terry wasn't even looking at the ball, but knowing the new rule, Terry now modifies making himself big to be on the right side of the interpretation, even though he now trains for this every day?

On the penalty only this to say. Virtually no-one in my block had even noticed that there was anything untoward.
The law as it stands requires that the penalty is given. The law as it stands is absolutely stupid, and must be changed in very short order. To say that if any part of the hand or arm is hit, from whatever distance, with the ball travelling at whatever speed, with the “offending” player having no agency in that incident whatsoever,it is to be sanctioned by a penalty is an utter nonsense and it's genuinely spoiling the game. I can honestly say, hand on heart, that if that penalty had been given at the other end, in our favour, I would have felt pretty ashamed.

Last edited:
lol, mate if you’re looking for some gear, I’m not sure the Club Shop is the best place to look.
You’re right, but I’ve created a tradition of grabbing a scarf for every trophy we’ve won, online shop sold out of the Premier League Champions scarfs the same day they went on sale, and FA Cup stock is minimal. Price of our own success!

People saying City didn't play well but they could have been 4-0 up before the "penalty." Three minutes after Gundogan scored his first Dias(?) put a free header wide from a KDB free kick, Haaland went sliding in and was inches away from getting his boot on the ball right in front of goal, then Haaland turned his man outside the penalty area, ran five yards and blasted the ball over the bar. Utd were in disarray till VAR put City off their stride and induced rage & brief despair here.

Agreed. Now if Terry was still clattering people today at Stamford Bridge & on hearing this decided to modify his making himself big tactic to include "Where am I supposed to put my arms when jumping, & I wasn't even looking at the ball", what then?

Who judges if his arms were in an unnatural position & if there was intent? Terry & his team mates are claiming there was no intent & Terry wasn't even looking at the ball, but knowing the new rule, Terry now modifies making himself big to be on the right side of the interpretation, even though he now trains for this every day?

The officials have to judge, and I’m fine with that. I think you can write guidance that helps avoid stupid decisions. Penalties for handball for example must only be given for offences that, if they are not clear cut infractions of the laws, have significantly adversely affected the attacking team.

You can’t turn referees into robots. They have to use their judgment. We had a classic example of the ref getting that horribly wrong yesterday when he penalised Akanji for almost getting his ankle broken by Casemiro, who should have had an “orange” card.

We also saw judgement that could be questioned when KDB was not awarded a pen because ref and VAR decided. that Fred had not impeded him. I’m not sure they got that one right but I’m not adamant that they didn’t. I do think it was more of a pen than the Grealish handball.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.