United (N) | FA Cup Final | Post-Match Thread

Re watching the game on bbc I don’t know why I was so nervous apart from maybe the last 5-7 mins United were shite, I knew it was long ball but until Garnacho came in they created fuck all.
You were so nervous because when we play United it feels like we have to beat them and the officials. In essence we are facing a 12 man team with the officials being the extra man. Games can change on a dime when poor officiating is in play.

Most things have been said to death, but, one major moment needs to be savoured in particular.
Johnny Stones in, I think the 47th minute - tried to make a mental note as it was so good - when he took the ball under pressure on the edge of our box; controlled; drop of the shoulder; turned and strolled out towards the half line, leaving 3 scummers trailing in his wake.
Absolutely top, top drawer. M.O.M. for me.

But does anyone know the young guy who the Beeb kept showing. He stood out a mile with his red/black shirt amongst the sky blue hordes around him and he was definitely enjoying himself. Seriously the Beeb must have shown him on about six different occasions.

Was frustrated watching the final , thought our perfomance was underwhelming , but i have just watched the highlights reel and we could and should have scored six or seven and we gave the Rags f*ck all.
Only confirms the gulf in class between us and the Rags , we play in 2nd gear and still win fairly comfortably , apart from a last minute goal mouth scramble the Rags were outclassed.

Grealish was rightly still upset and shaken by it in the interview afterwards. Glad a stellar season from him hasn't had the shine taken off it, but it could have done. What a mess.
Regardless of the result, City need to write to the FA/Pigmol demanding an explanation of the different standards of refereeing for both clubs.

So now you can see the problem facing the rule makers of the game. \0/

I've asked for anyone to give me a solution to these handball conundrums in a sentence, & as of yet no one has. All I've had is even more opinions/interpretations muddying the waters even further.

How does football resolve this to the satisfaction of the majority? I've no idea mate...
For me the most obvious consideration is did it change the trajectory of the ball in any meaningful way. It not case closed it it did then consider intent proximity etc. At least get rid of the faintest glances that don't impact where the ball ends up being given

Last edited:
The officials have to judge, and I’m fine with that. I think you can write guidance that helps avoid stupid decisions. Penalties for handball for example must only be given for offences that, if they are not clear cut infractions of the laws, have significantly adversely affected the attacking team.

You can’t turn referees into robots. They have to use their judgment. We had a classic example of the ref getting that horribly wrong yesterday when he penalised Akanji for almost getting his ankle broken by Casemiro, who should have had an “orange” card.

We also saw judgement that could be questioned when KDB was not awarded a pen because ref and VAR decided. that Fred had not impeded him. I’m not sure they got that one right but I’m not adamant that they didn’t. I do think it was more of a pen than the Grealish handball.
Hence the problem. If it's purely down to the ref & VAR to judge based on their opinion & interpretation, the team who benefit & the team affected will be apoplectic with rage & the fans will give reactions from the ref & VAR being incompetent, or plain bent.

I've absolutely no idea how we can get around this, hence why I understand the current rule about natural/unnatural arm positions, leaving players to know the risks they're running.

I'm just glad it's not me having to make this handball ruling decision. Whoever has to make it is damned if they do, damned if they don't! Rather them than me! Lol :-)

Reactions: OB1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.