United post-match thread

But the rested players didnt lose again, they were rested... When our reserves play the outcome of that match has no meaning on the first team, why would last night? All we saw was a spirited performance in the first half from the kids and the reserves against a full strength United first team at OT. We saw young players in their first Derby come out with their heads held high. This game means absolutely nothing in relation to the first team and more importantly to the league.
Unfortunately that is not true. We have one dressing room and one squad and a defeat is a defeat. Having excuses makes it slightly less depressing but I'd still take a win over a loss with an excuse. And ultimately we played 5 or 6 first choice players as well.

agree with majority of posts, we can do without more games, while there seems to be an obsession with making United's plight worse the bigger picture is we need to win the PL and in that sense United are not our main concern.
No-one likes to lose , especially in a derby, but i was a lot more disappointed after the Soton game then last night.

Nice weeks rest for midfield 4 plus Stones plus Kolorov, Aguero and hopefully Zabba.

Unfortunately that is not true. We have one dressing room and one squad and a defeat is a defeat. Having excuses makes it slightly less depressing but I'd still take a win over a loss with an excuse. And ultimately we played 5 or 6 first choice players as well.

No we didn't.

Only Ottamendi and Nolito have been anywhere close to first choice this season.

Really disappointing and gutted about last night and I'm sorry but yet again their seems to be flawed logic running through the club, whether this is from the owners or Pep himself I'm not sure, probably a bit of both.
Last season we gave away the Chelsea cup tie and a chance of us winning a trophy for a champions league semi final and trophy which we were never going to win, shafting the fans forking out good money.
This season yet again we meekly surrendered a trophy by our team selection that we won last season to save players for WBA and Barca. I don't get the rationale at all sometimes their are 29 league games to play and even if we lose to Barca on Tuesday we can still qualify for the next round with the 2 remaining fixtures.

Last night the Rags were coming off of a 4 nil battering from Chelsea and a poor run of form, I know we had not won in 5 but my point is they were their for the taking if Pep had showed a bit
of balls by playing a full strength xi the "bounce" of another derby victory, the rags eliminated and most importantly back to winning ways would for me have been the way to go.
Instead we got a cringe worthy pre match interview liking the Rags arses and demeaning slightly our history and the League Cup. All that was really missing was a white flag. I knew from that moment that we would not stand a chance of winning.

Yes I get about priorities and the League Cup is the least one to worry about, but I like the cups and will never tire of us getting to finals. It just seems a shame that our fans had to fork out £40+ to watch a relative reserve side vs a full strength rag side.. VK went off at half time (yes I know it was planned), but it felt we were playing a testimonial match. The problem is current managers are just out of touch with what a derby means these days. But hey Pep probably just shrugged his shoulders last night sipping his wine with Maureen. Let's hope like he doesn't disrespect the FA Cup in January. Gutted isn't the word.
Don't take this the wrong way as I'm genuinely not trying to jump on yer back, but you talk about flawed logic surrounding giving cups away for better runs in other comps. Where is the logic in adding potentially upto four games to a schedule of which some will be played at a critical point of the season. That is a full month where we will have minimum of two games in a week. I'm not sure about the dates of league cup games and I ain't gonna research it so I'll make an example up. How do you feel about us playing Bayern on a Tuesday then maybe Everton or someone on Saturday then Liverpool in the league cup then Tottenham at the weekend then Liverpool in the League Cup return then West Ham at the weekend then the return Bayern on Wednesday. That kind of fixture pile up we can live without.

That's how you see it. I very much doubt that's how the boys and Pep see it.

Don't take this the wrong way as I'm genuinely not trying to jump on yer back, but you talk about flawed logic surrounding giving cups away for better runs in other comps. Where is the logic in adding potentially upto four games to a schedule of which some will be played at a critical point of the season. That is a full month where we will have minimum of two games in a week. I'm not sure about the dates of league cup games and I ain't gonna research it so I'll make an example up. How do you feel about us playing Bayern on a Tuesday then maybe Everton or someone on Saturday then Liverpool in the league cup then Tottenham at the weekend then Liverpool in the League Cup return then West Ham at the weekend then the return Bayern on Wednesday. That kind of fixture pile up we can live without.

I note your points but sorry just feel overall gutted we have given away a trophy we were defending.

Exactly. This wouldn't even be a debate if it wasn't United we played last night. I swear some of our fans would prefer a derby win than having a good run in the CL and competing for the title.

Really disappointing and gutted about last night and I'm sorry but yet again their seems to be flawed logic running through the club, whether this is from the owners or Pep himself I'm not sure, probably a bit of both.
Last season we gave away the Chelsea cup tie and a chance of us winning a trophy for a champions league semi final and trophy which we were never going to win, shafting the fans forking out good money.
This season yet again we meekly surrendered a trophy by our team selection that we won last season to save players for WBA and Barca. I don't get the rationale at all sometimes their are 29 league games to play and even if we lose to Barca on Tuesday we can still qualify for the next round with the 2 remaining fixtures.

Last night the Rags were coming off of a 4 nil battering from Chelsea and a poor run of form, I know we had not won in 5 but my point is they were their for the taking if Pep had showed a bit
of balls by playing a full strength xi the "bounce" of another derby victory, the rags eliminated and most importantly back to winning ways would for me have been the way to go.
Instead we got a cringe worthy pre match interview liking the Rags arses and demeaning slightly our history and the League Cup. All that was really missing was a white flag. I knew from that moment that we would not stand a chance of winning.

Yes I get about priorities and the League Cup is the least one to worry about, but I like the cups and will never tire of us getting to finals. It just seems a shame that our fans had to fork out £40+ to watch a relative reserve side vs a full strength rag side.. VK went off at half time (yes I know it was planned), but it felt we were playing a testimonial match. The problem is current managers are just out of touch with what a derby means these days. But hey Pep probably just shrugged his shoulders last night sipping his wine with Maureen. Let's hope like he doesn't disrespect the FA Cup in January. Gutted isn't the word.

^^My thoughts exactly

I note your points but sorry just feel overall gutted we have given away a trophy we were defending.

Not like we haven't done that before!

Its more gutting because its United but we will feel the benefit of not having these extra games when it comes to the crunch however disappointing that may be. Our December fixture list really is tough. We are going to have to be right on it that month so for me this is no great loss and my disappointment lasted about 10 mins post final whistle which for a loss against the rags is around 5 days shorter than usual!

For anyone who is happy to peddle the line of 'it wasn't the same side that will play against West Brom so a defeat doesn't matter' just unbelievable! It is ONE squad, it is ONE team no matter who plays, clearly never played any form of competitive sport and if so you wouldn't have been anywhere near any of the teams i've played for (Rugby and Football) our manager would have battered us for even having them sort of thoughts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.