United post-match thread

No-one likes to lose a derby but this one is all about context,pep said before the game it is the least important one and the weekend and barca are bigger games and the team he put out reflected it,let the full first rag team bask in the glory of beating our b team and kids,it matters not in the grand scheme of things

Spot on Karen....plus we saw the arrival of two new young blue's

Some amongst the frothing hoardes in this thread need to step back and get some perspective.

The first thing to note is that City are top, yes TOP of the PL. They're in first place!!! Quite the crisis, this!

The first team has so far played 16 competitive matches across three competitions this season. Of these, three have finished in defeat. All three were away from home.

The circumstances of those matches were:

v BARCELONA (A) 0-4 UCL: An away match in the Camp Nou against arguably the best club side in world football at this time. And City were giving them a game until the sending off of GK Bravo and having to defend against the best attacking trio in the world with ten players for the last 40 minutes. Despite the eventual scoreline, City can draw positives from the 11 v 11 period of the game. Nothing in this match should give rise to a 'press the panic button' mentality. At the outset, any impartial bookie would have expected a Barcelona win in this one.

v TOTTENHAM (A) 0-2 PL: If you accept that no team is likely to win the PL title undefeated in the current environment, which ties are most likely to produce a reverse? How about an away fixture against an in-form fellow title-contender? Yes, it would be great to have won at WHL. But Spuds are a team which will be challenging at the end of the season. A defeat there does not constitute a crisis. Meanwhile, City have also played away against another PL title contender (according to many pundits). The bunch at OT. And City won that one.

v MANCHESTER UNITED (A) 0-1 EFL Cup: Nine changes for City in this one. A second-string side pitted against the Rags' finest in a hostile derby atmosphere. City conceded once in this match, and if in allowing that goal Mr Bean ... sorry, Dean ... makes a blunder of that magnitude again this season I'll be amazed. Although his failure to award City a penalty and the booking of Iheanacho for falling over are right up there. This match was no vintage affair, but United didn't score a legitimate goal in 90 minutes against City's reserves. The result was decided by having Mr Bean in the middle.

Three matches have ended in draws. Celtic away (UCL) was played in a passionate derby cup-final atmosphere ... not easy. Draws against Everton and Southampton were slightly disappointing in view of them being home ties, but both are strong PL sides. Both are top half in the PL at this time and Everton will expect to challenge for a top four place.

And the other ten matches? CITY WON. And there were some tough fixtures in there. W10 - D3 - L3. There's no crisis to see here.

Did anyone genuinely expect Pep to come to a new club in an unfamiliar highly-competitive league and win everything straight off the bat? If so, you must be mad. City's transfer business in the Summer - signing the cream of world football's 18/19 year-olds is the giveaway: Pep's building for the future. The current team is in transition. The older guys are being phased out gradually. And yet with ten wins so far they're still doing just fine. None of the three defeats were a form-book 'upset'.

Chill out and enjoy the ride with Pep. Gabriel Jesus, Marlos Moreno, Leroy Sane, Oleksandr Zinchenko. Joining earlier youthful signings including Patrick Roberts, Enes Unal and Kelechi Iheanacho - now almost a first-team regular. And remember the prospects emerging from the academy: Maffeo, Garcia, Angelino, Adarabioyo, Diaz and so many more. There is so much to look forward to as this group increasingly play alongside "experienced" senior players such as Kevin De Bruyne, Raheem Sterling and John Stones. They're young too. All coached by the best manager in the game and backed by the most professional owners in the sport. The ingredients are in place for a golden era.

There has NEVER BEEN a better time to be a City fan! Stop moaning, show a little patience and enjoy what the next few seasons bring. SMILE! :-)

Great post :)

Must admit I cant believe that people are even have thoughts of having Pep gone. Ridiculous.

I am very much of the opinion that we should have gone for their throats last night, and that Pep did indeed use the game as an opportunity to rest some players and give a few others some minutes on the pitch, against anyone else fair enough but not them. Not only are we out of a competition that we have had good times in, we gave them a derby win, and I fear that the twats will use last nights win as a turning point in their season, so I think he has dropped a fair size bollock. Time of course will tell.

What I do find shocking is people claiming to be blues apparently not being bothered about losing to them, spouting nonsense about bigger fish to fry and so on.........reminds me of when they used to say playing Liverpool was a more important derby match on account of us being shite. There does seem to be an increasing amount of "rags in blue" spouting the kind of rubbish that would only have come from the swamp dwellers a few years ago.
I think both perspectives are valid. Clearly a win against the rags especially for most folk living in Manchester is a very big deal. Progression in a Cup is nice too. But it is a minor competition and we have a crucial week coming up. We really need to win at West Brom on Saturday and get something out of the Barcelona game. The manager has to take a calculated risk in situations like this and decided to rest 5 or 6 key players. Was he right only time will tell. Pellers done it last year and it paid off in so far as elimination from the Cup was followed by victory in Europe. I think with a bit of luck and better finishing we could have won that game last night and left PEG in deep shite having been beaten by our reserves. The counter argument does not apply as we are clearly prioritising the League and Europe over domestic competition this season. Therefore I am fairly cool about last night but if we go another week or 10 days without a win I will start to lose my cool.

Funny you mention Spurs, they did exactly the same as us and lost to Liverpool and none of their fans give a toss judging by the two I work with.
I also seem to remember a recent Cup clash between Arsenal and Spurs in which the bitter rivals fielded weak teams. A semi final against the rags would be a different matter and maybe we will get one later in the season!!

I have a confession to make................................ It's all my fault, the fact that we have not won a match for a while is all my fault........... when I was in Canada we were winning, we won 10 on the trot and I kept hearing about how well we were playing (and I did watch some of the matches whilst I was over there) and then I came home, expecting to see the great football and the good wins.......... but we haven't won a match since I came home. I'm off back to Vancouver, anyone care to put into my air fare fund??????? :-)

Sorry just trying to ease the doom and gloom. We'll win against West Brom on Saturday I'm sure. Always a glass half full person me.

Some amongst the frothing hoardes in this thread need to step back and get some perspective.

The first thing to note is that City are top, yes TOP of the PL. They're in first place!!! Quite the crisis, this!

The first team has so far played 16 competitive matches across three competitions this season. Of these, three have finished in defeat. All three were away from home.

The circumstances of those matches were:

v BARCELONA (A) 0-4 UCL: An away match in the Camp Nou against arguably the best club side in world football at this time. And City were giving them a game until the sending off of GK Bravo and having to defend against the best attacking trio in the world with ten players for the last 40 minutes. Despite the eventual scoreline, City can draw positives from the 11 v 11 period of the game. Nothing in this match should give rise to a 'press the panic button' mentality. At the outset, any impartial bookie would have expected a Barcelona win in this one.

v TOTTENHAM (A) 0-2 PL: If you accept that no team is likely to win the PL title undefeated in the current environment, which ties are most likely to produce a reverse? How about an away fixture against an in-form fellow title-contender? Yes, it would be great to have won at WHL. But Spuds are a team which will be challenging at the end of the season. A defeat there does not constitute a crisis. Meanwhile, City have also played away against another PL title contender (according to many pundits). The bunch at OT. And City won that one.

v MANCHESTER UNITED (A) 0-1 EFL Cup: Nine changes for City in this one. A second-string side pitted against the Rags' finest in a hostile derby atmosphere. City conceded once in this match, and if in allowing that goal Mr Bean ... sorry, Dean ... makes a blunder of that magnitude again this season I'll be amazed. Although his failure to award City a penalty and the booking of Iheanacho for falling over are right up there. This match was no vintage affair, but United didn't score a legitimate goal in 90 minutes against City's reserves. The result was decided by having Mr Bean in the middle.

Three matches have ended in draws. Celtic away (UCL) was played in a passionate derby cup-final atmosphere ... not easy. Draws against Everton and Southampton were slightly disappointing in view of them being home ties, but both are strong PL sides. Both are top half in the PL at this time and Everton will expect to challenge for a top four place.

And the other ten matches? CITY WON. And there were some tough fixtures in there. W10 - D3 - L3. There's no crisis to see here.

Did anyone genuinely expect Pep to come to a new club in an unfamiliar highly-competitive league and win everything straight off the bat? If so, you must be mad. City's transfer business in the Summer - signing the cream of world football's 18/19 year-olds is the giveaway: Pep's building for the future. The current team is in transition. The older guys are being phased out gradually. And yet with ten wins so far they're still doing just fine. None of the three defeats were a form-book 'upset'.

Chill out and enjoy the ride with Pep. Gabriel Jesus, Marlos Moreno, Leroy Sane, Oleksandr Zinchenko. Joining earlier youthful signings including Patrick Roberts, Enes Unal and Kelechi Iheanacho - now almost a first-team regular. And remember the prospects emerging from the academy: Maffeo, Garcia, Angelino, Adarabioyo, Diaz and so many more. There is so much to look forward to as this group increasingly play alongside "experienced" senior players such as Kevin De Bruyne, Raheem Sterling and John Stones. They're young too. All coached by the best manager in the game and backed by the most professional owners in the sport. The ingredients are in place for a golden era.

There has NEVER BEEN a better time to be a City fan! Stop moaning, show a little patience and enjoy what the next few seasons bring. SMILE! :-)
I generally agree that we are not in a crisis but we could be facing into one(hopefully not.) Looked at in it's totality the record is acceptable the problem is that the 3 draws and 3 defeats have come in the last few weeks and to a very large extent have taken the gloss off an excellent start. Also while the list of emerging talent appears mouthwatering how many of these will actually make it to the elite level? But here hoping that we are entering a "Golden Era"!!

I have a confession to make................................ It's all my fault, the fact that we have not won a match for a while is all my fault........... when I was in Canada we were winning, we won 10 on the trot and I kept hearing about how well we were playing (and I did watch some of the matches whilst I was over there) and then I came home, expecting to see the great football and the good wins.......... but we haven't won a match since I came home. I'm off back to Vancouver, anyone care to put into my air fare fund??????? :-)

Sorry just trying to ease the doom and gloom. We'll win against West Brom on Saturday I'm sure. Always a glass half full person me.
Just sod off back woman.Can we arrange a bloody collection ... say for a ten year stay. ;)

Wasn't arsed about the EFL cup - more arsed about Aguero, Silva and Nando getting some form back. If its the rest the need then so be it. These boys our the engine, and our bad form has coincided with Nando being off slightly.

I still though if a couple of decisions went our way and couple of passes with the right weight then it would have been a different story. Onwards and Upwards - In Pep I trust

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.