United thread 2012/13 (inc merged IPO thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really see Rooney being that pissed off. He's far too important to them for him to be anything other than a starter - it will be interesting to see where the pissed up weegie plays him. Kagawa (or whatever his name is) looks a decent signing as well. Attacking wise they are looking quite good for next season, their defence still looks dodgy though.

strongbowholic said:
You might see Rooney deeper, but realistically with Kagawa, wouldn't it be a front 2? If they hit it off, they are going to be potent, but as you have already covered, egos could be an issue.
With Kagawa, RVP & Rooney you'd assume it'd be a front 2, though I have a horrible feeling that Kagawa might be tried out wide for a bit.

We've got some quality forward players, but it's going to be hard to work out which combination of 3 or 4 works best for us.

Wouldn't be overly surprised if, in the big CL games, he played a midfield 3 with Kagawa in, and then a front 3 of something like Rooney-RVP-Valencia. That'd be similar to how we played to get to consecutive Champions League finals.

Personally I adore 4-4-2 as I think it's the most exciting and virtuous formation, though I know it makes me a bit of a tactical neanderthal.

In another way the pressure, spot light will off Rooney he actually could be better this season. When Ronaldo was there he liked playing second fiddle to him laying on plenty of goals, if RVP stays fit he could actually score 40+ goals!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think this is what BaconChops thinks

As has been mentioned on here, how many did Shrek and RVP score against Man City last season? There is currently a major wank-fest about the prospects in store for these two in the media but to me it looks like Ferguson, by forking out £24mill and around £220 grand a week, is absolutely desperate to outshine us this season. All the Rag self imposed rules about wages, signing nobody over 27 etc; have gone out of the window in what looks to me to be his last, desperate throw of the dice, if they fail to win the league this year (I still believe Chelsea will be our main rivals), it will be goodnight Vienna.
Van Persie, did have a great season but prior to that was no better than many other strikers and United still don't have a Yaya or Silva in their ranks.
Bring it on.

Viva Rivaldo said:
1. He'll be playing in a better team, which thrives on wing play and providing for our strikers. At Arsenal, he was forced to play deep a lot of the time, whereas at United I assume he'll be the spearhead of our attack. He'll get the service, of that I have no doubt.

2. Rooney was in Ronaldo's shadow for many years, but didn't throw a hissy fit about that. He realised that if he knuckled down and did his job for the good of the team, it'd all work out. Hopefully he does the same this time.

At least it makes it more exciting. I'd have preferred getting a quality midfielder in, but seeing as our manager clearly thinks our midfield is superb, then this is one of the next best things.
Yeah, funny really - you'd say midfield is where your biggest weakness is, but on the other hand you've developed a style of play that is more based on quick ball to the wingers, rather than domination in the centre of the pitch. Perhaps van Persie is a better complement to your strengths than getting a new CM would have been, whereas for us another CM with decent technical ability was (is?) crucial because technical play in the centre of the pitch is what we're all about.

whats on the cards for wellfeck, cshitpea and barbieslops......will they rot away until fatman and bobinteepee get injured.

picture this, if they are out of action that s 200,000 a week down the drain for each of them.

rangers *****ahem****

lets take them again! :D

Money more important than Titles

United don't need to win the league to be 'far ahead' of City, claims chief David Gill

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2189211/Manchester-United-far-ahead-rivals-pitch-says-David-Gill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Gill.html</a>

Manchester United chief executive David Gill says the club’s off the pitch fortunes do not hinge on winning the league.
While Manchester City won the Premier League title last season, Gill claims United are ‘far ahead’ of their rivals when it comes to off-the-pitch matters.
The Old Trafford boss said the club lead the way globally in striking megabucks sponsorship deals and winning fans in new parts of the world.

However, Gill acknowledged City were challengers both on and off the pitch.
Speaking to Greater Manchester Business Week, Gill said: 'In terms of commercial revenue, there is lots to go for and the world is a big place.
'Other clubs will follow us and look at us but what we have done since our owners have taken over is put a lot of money into this area.
'It sounds easy but we have invested heavily in sales people, in marketing the club, expanding our fan base and the research we have done around all of that.
'There are lots of top clubs out there but, in terms of what we have done, we are far ahead of them.

'They will try and emulate us and some will succeed, others won’t, but it isn’t easy to do what we have done. It looks easy but it isn’t.'
United became the first Premier League club to achieve commercial income of more than £100m last year and have been boosted further by a seven-year shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet, worth more than £350m.
Out on their own: Gill claims United can be successful off the pitch without relying on winning the league
Gill was speaking after the club’s flotation on the New York Stock Exchange, which raised around £150m – half of which goes directly to owners the Glazers.
Financial pundits have claimed shares in United are set to ‘do a Facebook’ and plummet in value in the coming months.
United floated 16.7m – the same as a 10 per cent stake – at $14, or £9, each but some analysts say they could drop as low as $5 within months.
Gill said he was confident investors would remain interested in United in the medium-to-long term.
He added their work off the pitch meant it did not necessarily need success on it to retain their title as the world’s richest club.
Gill said: 'I don’t think the results on a weekend will affect the share price on a Monday but we understand as a club, and have done ever since I have been involved and before that, that what happens on the pitch is key to our aspirations off the pitch.
'We need to be successful and challenging for titles every year, not necessarily winning them, but challenging and playing attractive football in the normal United way.'

Re: Money more important than Titles

So years after removing "football club" from their badge they finally admit that the rags are just a money-making machine. I'd like to see Gill explain that angle to the hardcore rags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.