United thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malty said:
to be honest Fergie pisscan is a unwanted distraction for Moyes. Every Utd game the camera pans on him, and the focus is on him. They needed to be a clear break.

I'm loving it though!

And all of us who said it would be like Busby-McGuiness all over again have been proved right!

Vienna_70 said:
Malty said:
to be honest Fergie pisscan is a unwanted distraction for Moyes. Every Utd game the camera pans on him, and the focus is on him. They needed to be a clear break.

I'm loving it though!

And all of us who said it would be like Busby-McGuiness all over again have been proved right!

Absolutely. I've been saying for a few years that when GPC retired the rags would have a re-run of the post-Busby decline. A long serving institution of a manager with a single minded obsession baling out at a time when the team needed major rebuilding and it all going to shit very quickly.

Busby's obsession was to win the European Cup which he did with an ageing side (Foulkes, Brennan, Crerand & Charlton) which was in need of rebuilding. That rebuilding never happened. Busby stepped down and handpicked McGuinness as his successor. McGuinness's failure triggered further managerial changes and rapid decline. 6 years and no trophies after the European Cup win they were relegated. Busby hovered in the background, as well as returning as manager briefly, to the extent that Tommy Docherty said he was still dictating transfer policy when he was manager well into the 1970s.

GPC's obsession was winning the 20th title which he did with an ageing side. Despite media surprise at his retirement many City fans not only saw him retiring after the 20th title but were also convinced he would have gone the year before if it wasn't for Sergio. He handpicked his 'chosen one' who inherited a side in desperate (and overdue) need of rebuilding and who is already failing 5 months into his first season.

Relegation by 2019? Let's hope it's earlier.

Unfortunately, it's a different world now. The established teams have manipulated football finances to the point where it's almost impossible for any of them to cease to be a big club. Even outside of the Champions League, the rags will still have a wage budget greater than anyone else in the league. Even if the Glazer's completely ruin the club, there will be countless investors lining up to take over. I could imagine an Arsenal or Liverpool-like period of not winning, but that's gonna be as good as it gets, I reckon.

I did enjoy Ferguson claiming that he'd left them with his strongest squad when he quit though, and Gary Neville claiming that he left Moyes with a squad that matched their 99 and 2008 squads, both claiming that the team is only going to get better. A few months later and now they're a team "in transition" despite having fewer changes than any other team.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-UeldyC8CE&feature=youtube_gdata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Ueldy ... ata_player</a>
Our old friend Mr. Flying pig is back.....what a tool! Anyone remember his derby reaction? Priceless.

Just occurred to me that I haven't heard the mad ramblings of Paddy Crerand and the dulcet tones of Lou Macari of late. Shame that cos I do enjoy their informative insight of all things United, perhaps they are on holiday or maybe they haven't got an opinion on the current situation.

pfazz said:
Just occurred to me that I haven't heard the mad ramblings of Paddy Crerand and the dulcet tones of Lou Macari of late. Shame that cos I do enjoy their informative insight of all things United, perhaps they are on holiday or maybe they haven't got an opinion on the current situation.
Or maybe they've been told to keep their mouths shut and to stop embarrassing the club via pissed up rants.

A temporary reprieve for the under-siege Utd fans: A win for them tonight and City to get beat

But any reprieve will be short and not that sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.