United Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
United's recent signings have improved the side, that's for certain.

Schweinsteiger is a good player, of that there's no doubt. He brings with him some issues, he missed a lot of last season injured (and has missed periods of time in the last few seasons with ankle and knee injuries) so there's that to consider, and at 31 only the most blinkered United fan would suggest he isn't on his way down ability wise. It's a short term signing, he next 2, or 3 seasons at most. Van Persie should be a warning for them, 1 really good season followed by 2 mediocre ones, and then sold. As I said, a good signing, but not the world beating signing the media, and United fans, would have you believe.

Darmian, aside from Football Manager I know very little about this guy. Having said that, at 25 he's a good age, and you don't get 13 caps for the Italian national side without being a player with a fair amount of ability. Right back was a gapping hole in United's side, with Rafael injured/average, Smalling/Jones better served at centre half (damning with faint praise!), and Valencia a winger making do as a wing back, so they've strengthened the starting lineup with this one.

Schneiderlin is the one I think is a really good signing however. He ticks a lot of boxes that United needed ticking. Again he's 25 so a fairly young signing, experienced in the Premier League so no issues there and he's a French international so again, good quality footballer. The role he plays is one United's midfield was lacking, some able to drive from box to box, with energy. Plus he's homegrown, which is always a bonus with the current rules. He's not world class, but he's a very good player.

Depay is young and impressive, he's a winger though, and Van Gaal seems to be suggesting he'll play him as a striker. A mistake if he does, as he's not really suited to the role if you ask me.

There are still issues with United's squad. De Gea won them more points than anyone else last season, and it'd be a major shock if he didn't leave for Real before the transfer window closes, so that's going to be a loss. They'll need a top quality replacement (rumours of Lloris diminishing, Oblak of Atletico seems the new favourite, although I wouldn't put it past Van Gaal to promote Valdes to number one, which for me would be a big error). With Falcao left, Van Persie also going and Hernandez clearly unwanted United are very, very short up top. Rooney is still there, and they'll no doubt look to involve Wilson a bit more, but they need to buy 2 strikers (although Van Gaal will say they need 1 as Depay factors as a striker for him). You can't go into the season with just 3 options, especially when one is an unproven youth team graduate. Obviously there's still the issues around their defence, with the centre halves being a fairly uninspiring bunch (Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Evans, Blackett, McNair) but I can't see them buying here. They've got the numbers, and clearly feel they'll do, but for me not one of them is a true star defender.

What their signings are doing is cementing a top 4 spot, rather than building a title challenge which, as I've said before, is because the Glazers are more than happy with 4th and the money it brings in, spending the huge sums needed to win the league isn't something they are all that interested in. The financial rewards don't measure up with the financial cost.
RVP and Nani and Falcao can win a game with a moment of brilliance. maybe we should not put Falcao in that category as last season he struggled. They're gone.

The only incoming player I know anything of is Schneiderlin and as I say, although he's been impressive for Soton, I don't think he represents an improvement on Carrick.

I can't believe that they wont buy a central defender. That's a must. Not only are Jones and Smalling inferior they are also injury prone. I am expecting them to make a couple of really major signings so those Utd fans masquerading as City are going to be getting very giddy. All good. LVG has a next to impossible job, and they don't know it.

I am not worried by their squad now, indeed it was about time they really looked at midfield. As one situation gets sorted a bit though another pops up, strikers.
They have done good business though and it should be more than enough to make sure Liverpool stay outside the top 4 this coming season.

I am not worried by their squad now, indeed it was about time they really looked at midfield. As one situation gets sorted a bit though another pops up, strikers.
They have done good business though and it should be more than enough to make sure Liverpool stay outside the top 4 this coming season.

They've been waiting ages for a decent revamped midfield. But yeah they need another striker I fucking hope they don't go for Lacazette.

Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Herrera is a really good midfield.

If United sign a top CB, then they'll challenge for the title without doubt.

Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger both confirmed. Still don't think Arsenal will be too worried.

I know it's taboo to say this, but I think the scum will be good next season. There's a clear top 4 now, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.