United Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
If aguero was six yards out having been played in by the oppositions cb or not been flagged for offside make no mistake he would score. Fair play to martial he took the chances but they weren't created through any guile or craft. Navas might have put one away ffs. Against the hammers I don't remember one sitter being missed.

His first goal was from a nice skill to get rid of the defender.

More worried about chelsea to be honest.
Just wait until the twabs start playing thursday/Sunday.
They've spent over £250m since Dutch Tony took over, he's said they aren't ready for a title challenge yet......Sorry but splashing all that dough you got to be winning the league.
And secret agent woodward saying they have to get to the last 8 of the chimps league....
To me........to you.......

Daily Torygraph are hailing MANUre and Van Gaal - TOTAL FOOTBALL! I've no intention of reading the piece so I can't report whether SmallThing was the reincarnation of Cruyff and who played the parts of Neeskens and Van Haneghem!
Good result for Utd but at times they were atrocious against Southampton and really rode their luck. Southampton should have got at least a point from that game.

If aguero was six yards out having been played in by the oppositions cb or not been flagged for offside make no mistake he would score. Fair play to martial he took the chances but they weren't created through any guile or craft. Navas might have put one away ffs. Against the hammers I don't remember one sitter being missed.
Did you miss aguero rounding the keeper and putting it wide at 1-0 down?

It's also well documented in a University of Liverpool study, that the building of the Manchester Ship canal was the start of the true rivalry between the cities of Manchester and Liverpool. People in Liverpool lost their jobs as ships by-passed them and made their way to Salford docks. Football only exacerbated and exaggerated this.

Okay, let's deal in facts... Yes Manchester & Liverpool are rival cities. There are many reasons for this with each city's stance during the American civil war playing a part, as well as the rapid development of Manchester and its challenge, in terms of northwest dominance to Liverpool etc.

This rivalry was not obvious in footballing terms until the modern era. Sure Manchester clubs and Liverpool clubs were rivals but not at the level of a true derby, whether that be in either city.

More facts... If the Utd-LFC game has always been perceived as a derby, then why isn't this obvious in contemporary evidence, either in match reports or in actual match attendance? Take a look at the early 1950s when MUFC enjoyed a golden age in terms of success, with crowds growing and attention on the club reaching a new high. This was also a period when Liverpool reached a FAC final. What were the crowds? What? A little over 20k at old Trafford (which could hold about 65-70k) for such an important ‘derby’ game in 1952-53 when Utd were reigning champions as well? Surely not? Was this a blip?

What about 1953-54? 26k at OT! MUFC's 3rd lowest league crowd of the season – but this is ‘the’ game!

What about 1951? What? LFC at MUFC attracted 34k, Utd's 8th lowest league crowd of the season. Surely not? What about Everton, after all they are also a Merseyside club so the rivalry between Utd and Everton must have generated an incredibly high crowd – it was c.29k! How can that be when Manchester-Liverpool are such great rivals?

I could go on, but this is a perfect example of how modern day rivalries may not have been what the media and others claim they are.

As Prestwich Blue stated, why weren't City- EFC games perceived in the way you claim MUFC-LFC were? City and Everton were the first successful sides from their cities and did have several grudge matches in early 1900s, however when City won FAC in 1904 Everton proudly displayed the trophy at Goodison for all to see when the 2 sides met. Everton stressed their support for Lancashire's success!

As for the comment about managers… I’ve never found anything from Busby talking about the great ‘derby’ with LFC. He talked of facing his old club etc. but never spoke about the game in terms if a derby, unlike his comments on the Manchester game of course. Busby had understood Manc football from his arrival, so if it has always been seen as a true derby then why didn't utd’s great manager and former LFC player mention it? Surely he'd have talked of the great ‘derbies’ he played in?

LFC-MUFC is a special fixture, just like City-CFC is becoming, but so are MUFC-lufc and MUFC-Arsenal. Those sort of games get hyped up and have an edge, but they're not as significant throughout history as the Manc derby. Utd’s footballing rivals in 50s were Wolves, City's in 30s were Arsenal, but that doesn't mean those games remain more significant than the Manc derby

I'm actually laughing at this, it's cringeworthy nonsense

I don't know why you consider it to be 'cringeworthy nonsense'... it's a perfectly valid statement and applies to the last 20 years not just the start of this season.

It's also well documented in a University of Liverpool study, that the building of the Manchester Ship canal was the start of the true rivalry between the cities of Manchester and Liverpool. People in Liverpool lost their jobs as ships by-passed them and made their way to Salford docks. Football only exacerbated and exaggerated this. Through-out Liverpool's 30 year dominance, you can go through the archived footage of all the United Managers through that era and they will say that Liverpool was the big game that they had to win. There have been numerous documentaries on the subject, with interviews from the people involved at the time, and none of them start with Alex Ferguson manufacturing the entire phenomenon. Using your view that nothing happened between Liverpool/United prior to 1986, is like saying that United fans didn't give a stuff about City until 2010. Then there's the fact that you are saying that my entire childhood, which consisted of pure hatred of anything to do with Liverpool was a figment of my imagination. Staggering.

You're literally arguing with the foremost and most recognised authority about the history of Manchester football and saying "well I don't remember it like that".

The arrogance it demands for you to do this is literally staggering.

The rivalry stepped up as Liverpool started winning league titles and European cups as Uniteds power waned and the jealousy reached fever pitch from United fans. Liverpool were hardly seen as rivals to United as they had even not won a cup until 1963, you'll be telling us next the rivalry with Leeds stems from the war of the Roses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.