United Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always got on with City. There was no real antagonism between us though once you could challenge the rivalry naturally inyensified about 4 or 5 years back. We look on you as 'our kid'. Liverpool now that's a different matter.

Out of interest – how old are you?

Next phase of rebuild will be the summer transfer season. After Van Gaal leaves we will have to see how the competition from yourselves, Chelsea and Arsenal pans out.

I thought Woodward had told shareholders to expect more normal levels of spending going forward?

GPC admits he's still 'Heavily involved' in Football.

The **** still being puppet master at the swamp then? I wonder how much they pay him now.

Agree with a lot of this. Football at this level can change rapidly. We have won two of the last five titles and though in transition are well positioned to challenge this season. Next phase of rebuild will be the summer transfer season. After Van Gaal leaves we will have to see how the competition from yourselves, Chelsea and Arsenal pans out.

United's issues stem from the motivation of their owners. Whilst financially United could be well positioned to challenge in the coming years, a title win isn't really high on the Glazers wish list. The amount of money you need to spend to secure a top 4 finish is extremely high, however the amount of money needed to turn a 4th place finish into a title win is astronomical. The rewards, from a purely financial perspective, that are reaped by winning the title are not sufficient enough to warrant the financial outlay required to achieve them. What you need is owners who desire the title, who are not purely motivated by the financial side of club ownership. In Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour Chelsea and Manchester City have owners who desire trophy wins. Yes, they also have their eye on the financial implications, it would be naïve to assume otherwise, but they are willing to spend money that they could otherwise syphon away in order to achieve footballing success. The Glazers would be more than happy with consistent top 4, and therefore Champion's League, finishes and profit making seasons. They neither want, nor need, title wins in order to get their pound of flesh from United.

United are well positioned to challenge for a top 4 finish this season, and I suspect they will achieve one without too much hassle, however I disagree that United are well positioned to do anything more than that. They may well only be 2 points adrift of City (which in itself is ridiculous really given the quality of our football thus far, and the periods of pretty terrible football United have dished up) but, and again it's just my opinion, that represents a false position. United will not finish the season 2 points adrift of City, they will be a fair few points further behind than that.

Liverpool-Utd rivalry is a modern thing and established by Fergie. Basically, if you look at it sensibly, Fergie's ambition in Scotland was to break up the Glasgow duopoly and make Aberdeen a credible force. When in England he saw LFC as the team with all the success. So it was inevitable that to be the most successful you have to challenge the best.

Maybe next year we'll stir things up with a mcfc-Chelsea rivalry debate. Perhaps we could say this goes back to the industrial revolution, and link it with "what Manchester does today....". Actually, we could easily claim a long rivalry with Chelsea, bringing up several grudge games over the decades, linking back to our Div 2 battles in 1983-84 and the fmc in 1986.

The rivalry with Liverpool was manufactured by the GPC, it didn't exist in the 70s/80s.

So we can all move on, attached is footage of the United manager, half a decade before Ferguson. Fast forward the clip to 32 minutes.

A journalist on Talkshite this morning had attended one of GPC's lectures last night. According to the GPC, Ancelotti, Van Gaal and Pep were all in the frame to take over the rags before Moyes but Ancelotti and Van Gaal had just taken new jobs so he left a message for Pep to ring him with a view to discussing the vacancy but Pep never returned his call. Pep's just gone up in my estimation.

A journalist on Talkshite this morning had attended one of GPC's lectures last night. According to the GPC, Ancelotti, Van Gaal and Pep were all in the frame to take over the rags before Moyes but Ancelotti and Van Gaal had just taken new jobs so he left a message for Pep to ring him with a view to discussing the vacancy but Pep never returned his call. Pep's just gone up in my estimation.

I'd take it with a pinch of salt mate. The gpc is a notorious liar, as has been proven in his various books. Typical rag really.

Could you imagine the wankathon of it was Pep doing it to city? Love how he's towing the party line saying LVG is the right man for the job, a guy who manages to piss everyone off and holds up hands outs of pie charts to the media to demonstrate why his team aren't long ball merchants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.