United Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that's not debated – there's a history of inter-city rivalry, but that's not the same as the footballing rivalry they're trying to justify.
Back in the old days visiting Goodison was probably worse than Klanfield, yet they claim no rivalry with them... so why Liverpool? Oh yeah they were more successful!
most of it is daft red bollox trying to make ikkle Citeh insignificant....it just wasn't true. Even when we were in the lower leagues they were scared of us coming back. This period in time is their worst nightmare come true.

Again you post a clip that doesn't prove your point – that clip at 32mins proves what Gary and all other blues on here are saying, United 'the club' are jealous of Liverpool's success not the fans, as Gary James has already pointed out, the period of Atkinson as manager actually saw piss-poor attendance figures when you played them, if it was such a hotbed of rivalry then that wouldn't be the case, yet full house if you played us! – the animosity between the clubs as you percieve it is a result of Baconface's stoking the fire when he took over simply because he wanted to be more successful (a personal thing for him)... Find us some clips of Liverpool fans, and yours from back in 70's/80's talking about this mythical animosity. Truth is uptil the Premier League era Scousers laughed at you and took the piss.

not for you this. Although, here's some Liverpool banners from the Heysel stadium. The same banners that graced our screens at all of their European cup finals.

1oufqr-1.png

Munich_banner.jpg

25z2zhs.jpg

Last 5 years
2010-11- Man Utd
2011-12 Manchester City
2012-13 Man Utd
2013-14 Manchester City
2014-15 Chelsea

If we go back to last 10 years we are even further ahead.
Granted, he set himself up well in an era when it was acceptable to operate in that manner. Having created such an impermeable cocoon he was able to maintain control for quite a while...as long as he was there to drive, coerce and instruct the herd.

There will doubtless be some principles that are still valid therein, but one should be wary of taking a model from a bygone age and assuming that inserting it into another will automatically work.

Many Blues are well acquainted with a talk by Ferran Soriano pointing out how the modern leadership landscape has changed.

Centralised tyrannical power-mongering doesn't cut it with today's connected, empowered societies; it's not necessary to study the post-saddam Middle East to see the vulnerability of such constructs and how a simple decapitation can destroy sustainability and make the whole thing unravel.
We only need look down the road...

Just read the last 25 pages, fucking hell some posters need fanny pads. They're 2 points behind us....they're going to finish above us......the French kid is a worldy.....Turtle gets all the luck........

God knows what the flappers would be like if we were where Chelsea are.

He has a point, we are 6 GAMES IN! very very early no pointlooking at the table until ten games at the very earliest or after the fixtures on New years day in my eyes.

We were very unlucky V West Ham on saturday & Utd were lucky V Saints on Sunday & yes Utd do seem to have more luck recently- their keeper keeps them in games & to be fair the few chances they create or get by an opposistion mistake they take, City should have took the clear chances we had namely Yaya & the open net for Aguero.

On another day we would have won 4 or 5-2, i was dissapointed with the sloppy defending for the 2nd goal though, reminded me of some of the crap goals we let in last season purely by not clearing our lines, anyway i digress :).

Every team loses BUT it is the manner of defeat that you take away & City were very unlucky it was not our day, thats football.

City dominate most games despite the result, Utd do not, Saints were the better team for large parts as are most teams they play, sooner or later this will tell.

Like the old addage goes "class is permanent, form is temporary" over a whole 38 game season all the teams deserve to finish where they finish, Utd or anyone else may be lucky for a few games BUT sooner or later it will run out.

Remember after the Derby debacle?! - they were 5 pts clear with 6 games to go & 6 games later we finished 9 pts clear of them, their luck ran out after the derby & they finished where they deserved to- 4th & come May i am confident they will again be 4th again, 3rd at best, Chelsea have too much class in their squad not to put a run together & i would fancy Arsenal to be above them again too.

City & Chelsea though are the 2 best teams in my opinion & after 38 games this will tell.

Let the deluded clowns get giddy the more they build their hopes up the funnier it is when their hopes & dreams are flushed away & reality dawns on them.

The cold stab of realisation is a beautiful thing :)

Just chatting to a rag at work – big Red, ex-season ticket holder but did used to go regular in the 70's/80's... conversation went...

ME: "Serious question, where does this Rivalry with Liverpool stem from?"

HIM: "There's been trouble between Liverpool and Manchester going back years, because of the dockers."

ME: "Yeah, but i'm not talking about rivalry between the two cities, but the footballing rivalry between your mob and the Scousers."

HIM: "Oh right, that's a a recent thing."

So there you have it!

Okay, let's deal in facts... Yes Manchester & Liverpool are rival cities. There are many reasons for this with each city's stance during the American civil war playing a part, as well as the rapid development of Manchester and its challenge, in terms of northwest dominance to Liverpool etc.

This rivalry was not obvious in footballing terms until the modern era. Sure Manchester clubs and Liverpool clubs were rivals but not at the level of a true derby, whether that be in either city.

More facts... If the Utd-LFC game has always been perceived as a derby, then why isn't this obvious in contemporary evidence, either in match reports or in actual match attendance? Take a look at the early 1950s when MUFC enjoyed a golden age in terms of success, with crowds growing and attention on the club reaching a new high. This was also a period when Liverpool reached a FAC final. What were the crowds? What? A little over 20k at old Trafford (which could hold about 65-70k) for such an important ‘derby’ game in 1952-53 when Utd were reigning champions as well? Surely not? Was this a blip?

What about 1953-54? 26k at OT! MUFC's 3rd lowest league crowd of the season – but this is ‘the’ game!

What about 1951? What? LFC at MUFC attracted 34k, Utd's 8th lowest league crowd of the season. Surely not? What about Everton, after all they are also a Merseyside club so the rivalry between Utd and Everton must have generated an incredibly high crowd – it was c.29k! How can that be when Manchester-Liverpool are such great rivals?

I could go on, but this is a perfect example of how modern day rivalries may not have been what the media and others claim they are.

As Prestwich Blue stated, why weren't City- EFC games perceived in the way you claim MUFC-LFC were? City and Everton were the first successful sides from their cities and did have several grudge matches in early 1900s, however when City won FAC in 1904 Everton proudly displayed the trophy at Goodison for all to see when the 2 sides met. Everton stressed their support for Lancashire's success!

As for the comment about managers… I’ve never found anything from Busby talking about the great ‘derby’ with LFC. He talked of facing his old club etc. but never spoke about the game in terms if a derby, unlike his comments on the Manchester game of course. Busby had understood Manc football from his arrival, so if it has always been seen as a true derby then why didn't utd’s great manager and former LFC player mention it? Surely he'd have talked of the great ‘derbies’ he played in?

LFC-MUFC is a special fixture, just like City-CFC is becoming, but so are MUFC-lufc and MUFC-Arsenal. Those sort of games get hyped up and have an edge, but they're not as significant throughout history as the Manc derby. Utd’s footballing rivals in 50s were Wolves, City's in 30s were Arsenal, but that doesn't mean those games remain more significant than the Manc derby

Humbly doff me cap to such impressive lesson on derbies history, and take proper note.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34311859

Man Utd: Ferguson demanded payrise to match Rooney
Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson demanded that his salary was doubled in the aftermath of Wayne Rooney's big pay increase in 2010.
Rooney was set to leave United before signing a deal worth £250,000 a week.
"I told them I did not think it fair that Rooney should earn twice what I made," Ferguson says in a new book.
"[United co-chairman] Joel Glazer said: 'I totally agree but what should we do?' It was simple. We just agreed no player should be paid more than me."

The irony being that the rags probably have more mercenaries than anybody else.

Can somebody find and post that pic of raggy fans with the poster saying their players play for the club not the money or similar - that could be ironic or I could be Alanis Morissette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.