United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are sky sports news sponsored by Man Utd today! It’s all about Utd. Ffs Villa deserve more reporting than them after last nights game

Went to a sports store (Rebel) in Perth WA today, 15 City same Dipper shirts available, 10 Arse, 1 Chelski and 1 Rag shirt how times have changed 10 years ago no City all Rag and Scouse.
Strangely enough I think once pep has gone and our history cemented, but crucially we're not winning everything, I think then we might become bigger. The hatred from the history-club media won't be as bad, we will actually get some good support if we're battling the history clubs and their blanket coverage.

City were heroes back in 2012. Since then though we've threatened the whole football food chain and they don't like that.

How do you reconcile that fact that united have been (relatively) shite for a decade and yet the PL ‘product’ has substantially grown in that time; a period where we have dominated, albeit not overwhelmingly so.

If united’s success was as key to the performance of ‘the product’ as you appear to believe, how do you explain the the increasing hegemony of ‘the product’ in the absence of that success (relatively speaking).

It is undeniable that the PL has been considerably more successful as a ‘product’ following our takeover in 2008, than it was before.

Maybe united’s success isn’t quite as important to ‘the product’ as you appear to think.
This theory, I’m grateful you describe, is up there with the one that has a 70 something retired multi millionaire ignoring doctor’s advice after a major life threatening health scare to not only do everybody’s job at Old Trafford but to do it in complete secret

“It’s kind of bollocks” is perhaps a shorter version of what you so eloquently describe

How do you reconcile that fact that united have been (relatively) shite for a decade and yet the PL ‘product’ has substantially grown in that time; a period where we have dominated, albeit not overwhelmingly so.

If united’s success was as key to the performance of ‘the product’ as you appear to believe, how do you explain the the increasing hegemony of ‘the product’ in the absence of that success (relatively speaking).

It is undeniable that the PL has been considerably more successful as a ‘product’ following our takeover in 2008, than it was before.

Maybe united’s success isn’t quite as important to ‘the product’ as you appear to think.
Just to back this up, I recall that when we won the league in such dramatic fashion in 2012 it was widely reported that when the next lot of TV rights was negotiated, they were secured for a higher than expected figure due to the manner of our title win.

Last edited:
I watched the shite last night and they were fucking wank..if they had played a decent team or even if Villa could finish they would have got tonked.
As for the VAR intervention..I thought it was meant to be for clear and obvious errors or just offsides that were missed...but fuck me almost 4 minutes to find an excuse to disallow the Villa goal is ridiculous.
If it takes that long it obviously can't be a clear and obvious mistake from the officials.
The clear and obvious error was that Villa were initially awarded a goal. Sheeesh!

Just to back this up, I recall that when we won the league in such dramatic fashion in 2012 it was widely reported that when the next lot of TV rights was negotiated, they were secured for a higher figure due to the manner of our title win.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-announce-3billion-deal-881297

League chief executive Richard Scudamore unveiled the stunning deal which will see income from domestic live rights rise to a staggering £3.018billion when the three-season deal begins next year, giving clubs a huge helping hand in their fight to meet UEFA's Financial Fair Play requirements.

Last season's remarkable ending, with Manchester City winning the title with the final goal of the entire campaign, created the perfect storm for the bidding process......

Scudamore revealed the thrilling climax to the recent season contributed to the increase.

It was a blatant body check and if you watch it the Villa player is very deliberate in his actions. I don't think Cavani would have got there but it would have been close.

Last night I watched VAR and gthought they are looking for a reason to disallow this. I was cynical. I watched it this morning and it's a blatant body check. Referees often overlook these types of incidents. Defenders and forwards use these tricks in the penalty area all the time but this was really blatant. It was a foul. Are all the other cases of 'obstruction' fouls too? Grey area.

If we could have heard the VAR check it would have cleared it up. I was driving and heard it on talk sport last night, they were going on about whether watkins touched the ball and whether it was offside.

A really simple protocol would clear this up.

What is the VAR team checking for (offisde?) Decide that, then look at whether there are any other reasons to disallow the goal (foul in build up, etc). Ideally, for sake of clarity, an objective time cut off for any other offences (10 seconds?) should probably be applied - the "phase of play" rules are very convoluted and subjective.

Just generally on VAR, the tail is looking like it is wagging the dog at times.

We have seen delayed offside decisions have knock on impacts on other parts of the game (eg flag doesn't go up for an offside and leads to a corner for the attacking team which they shouldn't/wouldn't have got if the flag had gone up earlier). Last night too we nearly got an injury from a delayed offside decision (one of the rags clattering into a post).

The whole thing still is a mess years into its implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.