United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly still true. Man Utd are in decline but they evoke strong feeling because of their past. I watched West Ham v Leeds at the weekend. Completely boring because I had no stake in the game. When Man Utd are on one either wants them to win, or lose, one is rarely not bothered. For ITV for example, their viewing figures are absolutely vital as far as advertising is concerned.

I don't have any data but I strongly suspect that the 3 most popular clubs in England are Liverpool, Man Utd and Manchester City. Liverpool fans wont admit it but we know from the sheer volume of articles about Manchester City in the Echo and in their social media that they hate us, as much as we hate them, if not more so.

It will take a very long time, perhaps a lifetime for diehard City and Liverpool fans to switch off from Man Utd and no longer regard them as the enemy. New rivals emerge but you can't stop wanting Man Utd to get beat. My attitude towards them has changed. I used to see a Man Utd shirt and have to bite my tongue for fear of saying something stupid. I'd go into the newspaper section of a supermarket, and put all the Man Utd magazines at the bottom of the stack. Now I see their shirts, and my first emotion is laughter. I see a Liverpool shirt and I grimace. But Utd still evoke interest. This will die slowly. It will probably die with my generation.

We know City are taking a slice of the national media cake because we are always in the news. Usually bad news, and that's because media executives know that if they can portray Manchester City in a bad light, then Liverpool fans will pay for it. Man Utd fans are not even looking at the papers at the moment.
Agree 100 per cent. Negative stories about City get huge online audience figures because the huge volumes of LFC and MUFC fans love reading them. A positive MUFC story will only get traffic from their fans but there's a lot of them.

The rule states that the if the block prevents the opposing player from getting to the ball (in the opinion of the officials) then it's a foul. There was only a single person in the ground who thought Cavani was getting anywhere near the ball and that was OliVAR.

Aside from that the defender is standing still and Cavani just runs in to him and throws himself to the floor, so how is that the defenders fault?
I do believe it states in the rules, every player has the right to stand their ground. running into the stationary defender is arguably a free kick

At the end of the day the PL is firmly in the pockets of the broadcasters and as far as global broadcasting revenue is concerned and without even looking up the figures I'm willing to bet that, regardless of how shit they've been in recent years, united are still far and away the biggest (English) global revenue generators for said broadcasters.
And yet, in recent years, Manchester City has been the most-watched Premier League side, at least in the USA.

You can't have different laws for different teams in the same competition, it's so wrong.

Spot on. Same goes for any competition, for instance when the PL changed the handball rule halfway through a season... after certain teams had already benefited from a decision that other teams could no longer benefit from due to the rule change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.