United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
He took a break after Red Bull, and decided to launch a consultancy company where he comes in and sorts stuff out behind the scenes, but doesn't have to manage.

He's known for being very demanding and was pursued by Arsenal and Tottenham but rejected them/wanted too much control.

Lokomotiv Moscow seem to have been the first club to give him everything he wants and be fine with hiring a consultant DoF. I suspect the prospect of one of the most well known clubs in the world being high profile clients to the business is why he's taken this job, and the 6 months managing was a tradeoff for control.
That might be a good argument if he was 40 and just breaking into football but this guy looks like he's winding down after a career in the game with medium sized German clubs.

De Gea will be fine, Rangnick hates keepers playing the ball. There's a famous quote of his along the lines of "The goalkeeper is the worst player on the pitch, we want him to touch the ball as little as possible"
Well is he going to have the centreback take the goalkick?

That quote of his is outdated. He hasn't been in a very competitive league for years. I'm glad that he has that thinking of the goalkeeper being the worst player on the pitch and should touch the ball as little as possible. That's one less player to worry about in the run of play.

Thanks Dom — that really helps the context here.
It should be very interesting to see what he does and really how much control is given over to him.

His scouting networks are incredible, players like Haaland, Keita, Mané, Gulacsi, Upamecano, Szoboszlai, Hwang Hee-Chan etc. have come in and been sold for huge profits when they outgrew the clubs, but will United let him replace their current players with a bunch of nobodies who'll develop in 18 months?

Will his scouting be as good when it comes to players over £40m who have to arrive and deliver immediately, which is a very different skill IMO.

Would they buy another club? I wouldn't be surprised at all if after his Leipzig/Salzburg days he sees the benefits but would the Glazers follow him down that path? Barcelona wouldn't let Soriano do it, he had to come here.

IMO the ceiling for what he'll achieve is basically catching up to City, Chelsea and Liverpool off the pitch. I don't think he's good enough to win titles as a manager against the competition, and I don't think 3 years is enough for them to surpass anyone - although he might make the rest of the top 4 up their game so as to not be caught up.

I wouldn't rule out him quitting in a huff before Christmas either if they don't deliver on what's been promised, he's like Bielsa in that way.

He's a good coach and an even better manager. He is able to reboot them as a club if he is been allowed to. 3/4 English CL clubs are now managed by German coaches. Personally I would've loved to see him as German NT manager instead of Flick but Flick was a good choice too. Overall a very surprising decision but not a bad one and I'm thrilled to see what he can do with them. Of course he shouldn't do too well but ManU is already beaten in the race for the title anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.