United Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
De Gea is the most over-rated keeper I have ever seen. I have lost count of the number of blunders he has made just in Derby matches. He can't take crosses, he can't defend his near post, and is one of the worst keepers in the PL at passing the ball. I think he is a major reason for United's decline in recent years because they are unstable at the back. For some reason most people in the media are in denial about it. To be fair I have heard plenty of matchgoing United fans (as opposed to the social media fanboys) criticise De Gea. He is a total myth.
I’ve always said to people that he’s basically a great Handball goalkeeper. In that sport, you don’t need to catch anything, or command your area. Just have a big, wiry frame and be good at spreading yourself so that attempts on goal hit you. Outside of that, as you’ve rightly pointed out, he has none of the other attributes of a good football goalkeeper.

I agree with the criticism of De Gea. 5 or 6 years ago he was okay(ish), nothing to get excited about, but naturally the media kept telling us all how sensational he was, how wonderful his skills were, the usual rubbish from them. But I never bought into it. Mostly because I have serious issues with giving any rag a bit of praise, but also because I felt the man was overrated.

Time has caught up with him and I don't think he's good enough for the Championship, now.

I agree with the criticism of De Gea. 5 or 6 years ago he was okay(ish), nothing to get excited about, but naturally the media kept telling us all how sensational he was, how wonderful his skills were, the usual rubbish from them. But I never bought into it. Mostly because I have serious issues with giving any rag a bit of praise, but also because I felt the man was overrated.

Time has caught up with him and I don't think he's good enough for the Championship, now.

Too many of these…06E77D81-BF54-4A40-895B-974B989EAAB3.jpeg

I’ve always said to people that he’s basically a great Handball goalkeeper. In that sport, you don’t need to catch anything, or command your area. Just have a big, wiry frame and be good at spreading yourself so that attempts on goal hit you. Outside of that, as you’ve rightly pointed out, he has none of the other attributes of a good football goalkeeper.
If De Gea had played for City in the past six years under Pep we would not have won a single trophy (not even 2018 because of the way we play). He has been a disaster for United in my view.

De Gea is the most over-rated keeper I have ever seen. I have lost count of the number of blunders he has made just in Derby matches. He can't take crosses, he can't defend his near post, and is one of the worst keepers in the PL at passing the ball. I think he is a major reason for United's decline in recent years because they are unstable at the back. For some reason most people in the media are in denial about it. To be fair I have heard plenty of matchgoing United fans (as opposed to the social media fanboys) criticise De Gea. He is a total myth.

I can remember watching De Gea warming up. It was very odd his warm up was just the goal keeping coach smashing balls at him and him just putting his forearms ups with the ball hitting them. That was it.

Eddy was diving all over the place, catching crosses etc. De Gea just stood still balls balls kicked at him !

I can remember watching De Gea warming up. It was very odd his warm up was just the goal keeping coach smashing balls at him and him just putting his forearms ups with the ball hitting them. That was it.

Eddy was diving all over the place, catching crosses etc. De Gea just stood still balls balls kicked at him !
Even when United resorted to the long ball game under Moyes De Gea was appalling because he can't even kick a long ball properly. With him in nets United give the ball away more than 50 per cent of the time he plays it out. It is amazing he has survived so long and confirms that United's coaches have no idea what they are doing. Virtually every player they sign gets worse. Happy days.

If De Gea had played for City in the past six years under Pep we would not have won a single trophy (not even 2018 because of the way we play). He has been a disaster for United in my view.
I know what you’re saying about Ederson being so important to the way we play and do agree with you, but I saw a stat recently that said if City had conceded from every shot on target in the 2017-18 season we would still have won the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.