United Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet Mr Haag is regretting taking that job on this morning and if I was his boss, I'd be pretty unimpressed as well.

Haag wants United to play like we do. That's a great idea but his problem is that he doesn't have many players who are capable of doing it. De Gea isn't great with his feet, he isn't Ederson or Allison. He is an 'old fashioned' goalkeeper and he is stuck there now.

Maguire would do well under Pep as he is a footballing central defender, but his confidence is absolutely shot. I will guarantee he plays well for England in the WC then revert to type when he goes back to United. They've bought Martinez but, like others have said, he looks too small. He doesn't look "Walker quick" either and looks ok with his feet. In short, he looks a bit of an odd buy to me and given he's new to the league, he needs Maguire on top form. I think Maguire will end up like Phil Jones if I'm honest - a very good player who wastes his career there. Hand on heart, if Ake went to Chelsea, I'd be happy if we offered them £50m for him. Pep would make him world class.

Shaw can play football, but again he will need Maguire/Martinez on form and the right back just doesn't look very good to me. Haag must see this in training and from the games he's played but this is the thing - after losing Pogba, they have another asset who's value is collapsing and won't want to stay there.

Their midfield is unbalanced and doesn't know what it's doing. McTominay charges about without much end product apart from the odd card. Fred isn't an enforcer, creator or anything, he just runs about and does what he can. Again though, he must be wondering what might have been now - he could've been our Fern replacement.

Up front, Ronaldo wants out because he knows his time is running out and they are a mess. He isn't daft. But Haag is freezing him out when they don't have anyone to replace him. Martial wants out and they are trying to replace Martial and Ronaldo with Marko Arnautavic. It's a joke, surely! Sancho looks like Maguire - confidence shot. Rashford is a good player but looks disinterested and his confidence is shot too.

The confidence has gone from them because they don't know what they are being asked to do. Their transfer policy is a joke - they are scatter gun and literally doing the exact opposite of us and Liverpool. We - and Liverpool - buy players who fit into their system. United buy 'good' players and hope the manager will fit them in. However, you can't make Wan Bisaka into a ball playing right back - it's simply not his game. You can't make Ronaldo charge about like Tevez as he's just too old and - rightly - is unhappy doing something that he can't do.

Given what I saw yesterday, if I didn't know who the manager was or how long he'd been there, I'd say he was next up for the chop. However, they won't sack him but I wouldn't be surprised if he walks. The squad is a mess and they have very little time left in the window to correct it - which they can't anyway. They won't get in the CL this year and it's another year of 'rebuilding'. They are starting to find now that players want CL football and leave clubs who don't offer it. How times have changed from the years when the likes of Neville and Scholes used to pay United to play for them! :D

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!

I bet Mr Haag is regretting taking that job on this morning and if I was his boss, I'd be pretty unimpressed as well.

Haag wants United to play like we do. That's a great idea but his problem is that he doesn't have many players who are capable of doing it. De Gea isn't great with his feet, he isn't Ederson or Allison. He is an 'old fashioned' goalkeeper and he is stuck there now.

Maguire would do well under Pep as he is a footballing central defender, but his confidence is absolutely shot. I will guarantee he plays well for England in the WC then revert to type when he goes back to United. They've bought Martinez but, like others have said, he looks too small. He doesn't look "Walker quick" either and looks ok with his feet. In short, he looks a bit of an odd buy to me and given he's new to the league, he needs Maguire on top form. I think Maguire will end up like Phil Jones if I'm honest - a very good player who wastes his career there. Hand on heart, if Ake went to Chelsea, I'd be happy if we offered them £50m for him. Pep would make him world class.

Shaw can play football, but again he will need Maguire/Martinez on form and the right back just doesn't look very good to me. Haag must see this in training and from the games he's played but this is the thing - after losing Pogba, they have another asset who's value is collapsing and won't want to stay there.

Their midfield is unbalanced and doesn't know what it's doing. McTominay charges about without much end product apart from the odd card. Fred isn't an enforcer, creator or anything, he just runs about and does what he can. Again though, he must be wondering what might have been now - he could've been our Fern replacement.

Up front, Ronaldo wants out because he knows his time is running out and they are a mess. He isn't daft. But Haag is freezing him out when they don't have anyone to replace him. Martial wants out and they are trying to replace Martial and Ronaldo with Marko Arnautavic. It's a joke, surely! Sancho looks like Maguire - confidence shot. Rashford is a good player but looks disinterested and his confidence is shot too.

The confidence has gone from them because they don't know what they are being asked to do. Their transfer policy is a joke - they are scatter gun and literally doing the exact opposite of us and Liverpool. We - and Liverpool - buy players who fit into their system. United buy 'good' players and hope the manager will fit them in. However, you can't make Wan Bisaka into a ball playing right back - it's simply not his game. You can't make Ronaldo charge about like Tevez as he's just too old and - rightly - is unhappy doing something that he can't do.

Given what I saw yesterday, if I didn't know who the manager was or how long he'd been there, I'd say he was next up for the chop. However, they won't sack him but I wouldn't be surprised if he walks. The squad is a mess and they have very little time left in the window to correct it - which they can't anyway. They won't get in the CL this year and it's another year of 'rebuilding'. They are starting to find now that players want CL football and leave clubs who don't offer it. How times have changed from the years when the likes of Neville and Scholes used to pay United to play for them! :D

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!
I got as far as you saying Phil Jones is a good player.
Your either taking the piss or your pissed

Although I think there's some truth in the Gary Neville type Glazer's are at fault for all of this (even though they've actually spent money on players-but we're they the right fit or just profile players) angle I can't help but wonder if this is a coping mechanism for them. It's the Glazers fault, it will all be ok if we had new owners, focus on the owners not the pain of being bottom after 2 games and season upon season of utter shite. Focus on that, it makes the reality easier to deal with .
I wonder what they would be saying if, for example, the club was still a PLC, with little or no debt, but run the same way? Their problem would be the same as it is now, which is that the people running the club on a day-to-day basis are the problem.

But if they were a PLC and the share price had dropped as dramatically as it has, those people would have been given their marching orders a long time ago.

Of course the owners are a large part of the problem. They've not appointed the right people and simply don't have the right structures in place, as we notably have. They see things too much in commercial terms, so potentially good signings have been missed because "they won't sell shirts" and they've made bad signings (Ronaldo, Maguire, et al) because they will. They've extended the contracts of players they should have let go, because they think they'll get a better fee for them.

They split Gill & Ferguson up as they'd pulled a few fast ones to get what they wanted but they should've kept together for a while longer and planned the managerial succession better.

But they aren't coaching the players or taking training sessions. Avram Glazer isn't making the call on who picks who up at corners or picking the team. They didn't tell McTominay to hoof a simple pass into touch. So they're certainly not the whole problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.