United Thread - 2023/24

Knock it down and start again according to Populus Ragcliffe’s £158m contribution, for the “debt ridden club” would probably get an upgrade on south stand and very little more

If you give me some money you can come and work for me plus I want you to rebuild the factory out of your own cash.

Kavah is an embarrassment. The level of sports journalism is rock bottom.

As nauseating as this constant sycophantic hyperbole is from the media we need to remember that ultimately it has contributed a large part to the club's downfall, constantly portraying a fake narrative of the position the club is in and the direction its moving and giving on-going false hope to the already delusional fans.

I don’t think your example is analogous (for reasons which you touch upon in the first sentence).

Mansour appears to have virtually no involvement in day to day decision making. He appears to be a classic passive investor who will be consulted on strategic matters, but otherwise does not seek to involve himself with the management of the club. I’ll hazard that will include player and managerial recruitment.

The Glazers appear to be much more closely involved in the decision making (including, crucially managerial recruitment) that impacts directly on the direction of travel of the club. You say their main failing is that they don’t place enough distance between themselves and the playing side of the club, but I would widen that to cover a wider inability (or unwillingness) to recruit senior decision makers and strategic planners into positions of genuine power and autonomy. It’s telling that any of their key decision makers have either been their yes men, appointed considerably beyond their capabilities (Woodward, Arnold) or personnel from the pre-Glazer era (Ferguson, Gill) who wield(ed) too much power for the club’s good. Your example of Khaldoon perfectly illustrates this point because the Glazers, in over twenty years, have conspicuously failed to appoint anyone with anything approaching that level of ability, and nor have they afforded anyone anything resembling the autonomy that Khaldoon plainly has. If they had, the narrative could have been very different.

I’m not sure I agree that money has ‘always’ been made available by the Glazers as prior to us winning the league in 2012, for a period of about three years, they were discernibly parsimonious with transfer funds (‘no value in the market‘ was Ferguson’s disingenuous refrain at the time) but there is no doubt since that they have made huge sums available for player (and manger) recruitment (and write-off). However, that underlines my point further, as they have gone from complacently spending very little to throwing money at the market in a futile attempt to chase their losses as a consequence of their previous lack of investment. If they’d invested in the playing squad in a more strident and considered fashion between 2009 and 2012 then it’s perfectly possible they wouldn’t have declined to the extent they have.

Ultimately (and this is where you and I seem to fundamentally differ) the issue is where we all place the responsibility for the decisions the people they have employed make. For me, any ownership can make poor appointments and bad decisions, but when the owners of a business repeatedly make senior appointments over a sustained period that fail, even when huge financial resources are provided to them, and during that period that business declines and becomes dysfunctional on many levels (recruitment, stadium, food hygiene, public image) then the responsibility for that cannot lie anywhere other than with the people who made those appointments. In the last ten years (since the old man kicked it) they have had eight managers all of whom have been a failure.

To me, that track record is irrefutable proof that the Glazers are clueless. Others will differ, and I don’t suppose the reason for their decline matters anywhere near as much to any City fan as the fact if it, but in my eyes the people at the top of any organisation have to carry the ultimate can for their decision making, and for me, ten years of appointments such as these is long enough for me to feel supremely confident of the ground I’m standing on, namely that they a fucking clueless cunts.
I bet you were the kid in school who always asked for more paper in an exam.

As nauseating as this constant sycophantic hyperbole is from the media we need to remember that ultimately it has contributed a large part to the club's downfall, constantly portraying a fake narrative of the position the club is in and the direction its moving and giving on-going false hope to the already delusional fans.
Yep, and constantly bigs up bang average players so much, they end up believing the hype and rewarding them with eye watering £350k a week contracts, see Marcus Rashford.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.