United Thread | 2024/25

Yeah but my point is, it got built with council money for the commonwealth games, and it got converted to a football stadium using council money.
The stadium was built using money from Sport England with a contribution from Manchester City Council. Manchester City FC as part of the deal to be the anchor tenants gave Maine Road to the council and also contributed a significant sum to the conversion to a football stadium. Since then City have carried out significant expansions and upgrading at their own expense. Yearly they have contributed upwards of £4M to the council which is now close to having paid for the initial stadium building cost. So, its a good deal for the council and the people of GM as the money is ring fenced for sport in the City I hope that clears things up for you

The stadium was built using money from Sport England with a contribution from Manchester City Council. Manchester City FC as part of the deal to be the anchor tenants gave Maine Road to the council and also contributed a significant sum to the conversion to a football stadium. Since then City have carried out significant expansions and upgrading at their own expense. Yearly they have contributed upwards of £4M to the council which is now close to having paid for the initial stadium building cost. So, its a good deal for the council and the people of GM as the money is ring fenced for sport in the City I hope that clears things up for you
And if Paula Radcliffe had got her way it would have remained as a "White Elephant" athletic stadium.

Burnham is Mayor of Greater Manchester
I wrote to the Mayor's office asking why he used the office of the Mayor of Greater Manchester to write in support of a company outside his remit and why there has been no defence of a company based in the region especially one that supports one of its cities After a lot of pressure for a reply I got the following reply

"I have been a lifelong Everton supporter and my comments and actions were made in a personal capacity, not through the Mayoral office. They were challenging the process used by the Premier League and the manner in which they imposed pints deductions on Everton.

I have also stated on a number of occasions that I will support Manchester City FC in getting a fair hearing and outcome from the Premier League.

We are not yet at that point and MCFC are taking legal action against the PL and it would not be proper for me to involve myself in a legal action.

I will continue to call on the PL to set out a clear and consistent process that will be transparent and fair to MCFC and all other clubs"
That’s fair enough.

Sheikh Mansour has generated billions for Manchester. The council takes all the council tax and business rate income. The whole of Ancoats has been transformed. One of the best ever deals done by any council

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.