Urawa Red Diamonds (N) | CWC Semi-Final | Pre-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much stricter than Qatar. The strictest place in the middle east. They've only recently been progressive enough to allow tourists not to where typical clothing, but women still have to cover legs and shoulders etc. You will not get alcohol.

The red sea resort and other tourist projects they're developing at the moment will likely see a relaxation. I'd imagine the new airport they've built will have a certain visa applicable to those areas where the rules are relaxed and more western.

But it's a strange place to pick for this tournament because of how restrictive it is. It will not get much attention though because we're the only English representative and no one will care how tricky it is to attend.

Thanks. Don’t sound like a whole heap of fun, being stuck somewhere that I assume is still going to be pretty hot by our standards, without a drink to cool down. The chances of me making the effort have just decreased some what.

I’ve done 2 work trips there, 2 weeks in Riyadh, 2 weeks in Jeddah, no alcohol whatsoever even in a 5 star hotel, (this was in 2013). Also in the malls separate entrances for males and females. I went to a museum in shorts and got turned away and it was 42 degrees.
Horrendous place and I’d never consider going anywhere near this disgusting country again. (But I do hope the Saudi guy buys the rags)

Just booked my flights. Visiting friends in Dubai and Doha then flying over to Doha.
Bring it on.

Jeddah is a lot more relaxed than Riyadh and my wife leaves the house everyday in normal clothes here (and in work). You can definitely make a family trip of it (beach, great food, nice golf course) but I would be astonished if any exception is made for alcohol. Bigger events than this have come and gone without any alcohol put in place (even if they make segregated fan zones).

Like some others have mentioned, Jeddah is an easy spot to fly into the rest of the Middle East, so combining the trip with any of Qatar, Dubai, Oman etc. would be great.

In terms of getting a visa, it used to be difficult but that has become very easy. It’s an online application that gets approved within 5-10 minutes now. My family have visited over from the UK often and the tourist visa has never been a problem.

Jeddah is a lot more relaxed than Riyadh and my wife leaves the house everyday in normal clothes here (and in work). You can definitely make a family trip of it (beach, great food, nice golf course) but I would be astonished if any exception is made for alcohol. Bigger events than this have come and gone without any alcohol put in place (even if they make segregated fan zones).

Like some others have mentioned, Jeddah is an easy spot to fly into the rest of the Middle East, so combining the trip with any of Qatar, Dubai, Oman etc. would be great.

In terms of getting a visa, it used to be difficult but that has become very easy. It’s an online application that gets approved within 5-10 minutes now. My family have visited over from the UK often and the tourist visa has never been a problem.
Am assuming (always a risk) that having a match ticket will be used as a visa. Happens with FIFA events such as Russia and Qatar world cups.
The event is to highlight the place to the world.
That or I have made a mistake - which I doubt.

I’m not saying alcohol is the absolute be all of everything. But a fanzone with no beer? Sounds a right laugh.

I’m not saying alcohol is the absolute be all of everything. But a fanzone with no beer? Sounds a right laugh.
A few days without a drink. It isn’t the end of the world. A small price to pay to watch us become World Champions.

Also - there are plenty of people who live in our fair islands who don’t drink a drop and it doesn’t do them any harm.

I’ve done 2 work trips there, 2 weeks in Riyadh, 2 weeks in Jeddah, no alcohol whatsoever even in a 5 star hotel, (this was in 2013). Also in the malls separate entrances for males and females. I went to a museum in shorts and got turned away and it was 42 degrees.
Horrendous place and I’d never consider going anywhere near this disgusting country again. (But I do hope the Saudi guy buys the rags)
Can you wear shorts on the street

A few days without a drink. It isn’t the end of the world. A small price to pay to watch us become World Champions.

Also - there are plenty of people who live in our fair islands who don’t drink a drop and it doesn’t do them any harm.

Yes mate, thanks and I’m well aware of both those things.

Personally I don’t pay a fortune to go on holiday or a foreign away game, so it won’t do me any harm. I go to enjoy myself and have a good drink while I’m there.

Can you wear shorts on the street
You can yes. Also separate entrances for males and females are a thing of the past. The only place I really see that now are that they still have separate gyms. Unless somebody has been to KSA in the last year or two their perception of the country will be significantly different than the reality because of the pace of change that is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.