Urawa Red Diamonds (N) | CWC Semi-Final | Pre-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not happy of these kick off times and midweek
No trains home
Lest have a stoning and whip round In Piccadilly gardens as a protest

Remember if anybody thinks 'I will make a holiday of it and take the family' that. 1) you can't be gay, thats a given. 2) If you are straight and you take your wife OR ANY KIDS THAT ARE FEMALE over the age of 10!! then do not expect them to go in the pool with you as it is banned. Some of the more 'modern thinking' hotels give these 'second class citizens' an hour in the pool on their own.
Never mind the lack of alcohol - just look forward to an utterly shite experience from a genuinely backward country
I would have loved to go for a week before xmas and I could have even lived with no alcohol (a pre-xmas detox, I would soon catch up) but taking the missus who can't even go in the pool, and is expected to cover up head to toe if she leaves the hotel - that'll be a great week away...

Remember if anybody thinks 'I will make a holiday of it and take the family' that. 1) you can't be gay, thats a given. 2) If you are straight and you take your wife OR ANY KIDS THAT ARE FEMALE over the age of 10!! then do not expect them to go in the pool with you as it is banned. Some of the more 'modern thinking' hotels give these 'second class citizens' an hour in the pool on their own.
Never mind the lack of alcohol - just look forward to an utterly shite experience from a genuinely backward country
I would have loved to go for a week before xmas and I could have even lived with no alcohol (a pre-xmas detox, I would soon catch up) but taking the missus who can't even go in the pool, and is expected to cover up head to toe if she leaves the hotel - that'll be a great week away...
Why not base yourself somewhere else for the week and literally just fly in and out for the matches? Sharm El Sheikh is about an hour away. A week's all-inclusive with a couple of cheap flights would not work out at too much more than a week in Saudi itself.

Why not base yourself somewhere else for the week and literally just fly in and out for the matches? Sharm El Sheikh is about an hour away. A week's all-inclusive with a couple of cheap flights would not work out at too much more than a week in Saudi itself.
There are actually no direct flights - would have to be Cairo and the flight times would mean at least one night in Jeddah - which for two games means you are spending 50% of the week away travelling. You are no longer on holiday you are on an organised expedition

There are actually no direct flights - would have to be Cairo and the flight times would mean at least one night in Jeddah - which for two games means you are spending 50% of the week away travelling. You are no longer on holiday you are on an organised expedition
Fair enough, I put the idea out there without actually looking at flight availability.

My plan is probably Amman and fly in for the games. I know for certain that there are plenty of direct flights from Amman and can minimise my time in KSA. I suppose that there is a bit of organised expedition about my intended itinerary but it feels like a one-off (another one!).

I’ll probably end up giving it a miss anyway. But out of interest, is the no alcohol thing as strict as people are making out?

I only ask because the same things were said about Qatar and everyone who went found it no problem getting pissed every day. I also know a girl who was back and forth to Dubai for a couple of years and she had no problem getting a drink whenever she was there.

I’m well aware neither of those places is Saudi but just wondered if anyone with actual experience of being there can confirm what the situation is in practice?

I wouldn't mind a hybrid approach to the women in pools thing. There have been plenty of times I've been at the pool and wished my wife wasn't with me as I scanned the talent. Wouldn't be any point her not being there if other women weren't either.

I’ll probably end up giving it a miss anyway. But out of interest, is the no alcohol thing as strict as people are making out?

I only ask because the same things were said about Qatar and everyone who went found it no problem getting pissed every day. I also know a girl who was back and forth to Dubai for a couple of years and she had no problem getting a drink whenever she was there.

I’m well aware neither of those places is Saudi but just wondered if anyone with actual experience of being there can confirm what the situation is in practice?

Much stricter than Qatar. The strictest place in the middle east. They've only recently been progressive enough to allow tourists not to where typical clothing, but women still have to cover legs and shoulders etc. You will not get alcohol.

The red sea resort and other tourist projects they're developing at the moment will likely see a relaxation. I'd imagine the new airport they've built will have a certain visa applicable to those areas where the rules are relaxed and more western.

But it's a strange place to pick for this tournament because of how restrictive it is. It will not get much attention though because we're the only English representative and no one will care how tricky it is to attend.

Got my return flights for £355 with a stop in each direction. Not sure you can do it for a much cheaper. Should get home for dinner on Christmas Eve hopefully to avoid being in the dog house.

Anyone have any recommendations for Jeddah? Best (but reasonably priced area) to stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.