US Politics Thread

I personally think the MAGA contingent is trying to do a full on take over of the House GOP with their slim majority to push out “moderates”. Most importantly for the far right everyday the government isn’t spending money is a good day.

In a negotiation where side A needs side B to do something and side B does not need side A, who has the leverage?
That’s what they’re trying and it’s not working. The math doesn’t work because if un-primariable moderate Republicans side with Democrats, MAGA loses ALL their leverage.

That’s what they’re trying and it’s not working. The math doesn’t work because if un-primariable moderate Republicans side with Democrats, MAGA loses ALL their leverage.

Any Republican who sides with Democrats stops become un-primariable. The only thing inexcusable in the GOP is siding or appearing to side with Democrats. Those Republicans will do anything to stay within the Party.

At the moment, I don’t see a backstop inside the GOP that doesn’t reward MAGA. Liz Cheney was chucked out of GOP leadership for siding with the Democrats and was replaced with Stefanik who went full MAGA before eventually losing at the polls. Gaetz and his chaos agents are being rewarded as “king makers” by taking advantage of their slim majority and halting government which their base actually prefers, and even Gym Jordan could become the Speaker of the House. So far the general direction of traffic within the GOP is to reward MAGA.

Sure, maybe some Republicans may get so frustrated they will go form a coalition government but they won’t be rewarded with applause from their caucus or electorate that’s why none have walked that plank yet.

The tail is truly waging the dog in the GOP.

Any Republican who sides with Democrats stops become un-primariable. The only thing inexcusable in the GOP is siding or appearing to side with Democrats. Those Republicans will do anything to stay within the Party.

At the moment, I don’t see a backstop inside the GOP that doesn’t reward MAGA. Liz Cheney was chucked out of GOP leadership for siding with the Democrats and was replaced with Stefanik who went full MAGA before eventually losing at the polls. Gaetz and his chaos agents are being rewarded as “king makers” by taking advantage of their slim majority and halting government which their base actually prefers, and even Gym Jordan could become the Speaker of the House. So far the general direction of traffic within the GOP is to reward MAGA.

Sure, maybe some Republicans may get so frustrated they will go form a coalition government but they won’t be rewarded with applause from their caucus or electorate that’s why none have walked that plank yet.

The tail is truly waging the dog in the GOP.
Mate — if what you say is true Jordan would be Speaker right now. In fact he lost support on the second vote.

The cracks are beginning to show is what I am saying. I see what they are TRYING to do, and had success at in past, but now we are starting to see them fail. Because “burn it all down” isn’t a party platform that can unify disparate elements.

Mate — if what you say is true Jordan would be Speaker right now. In fact he lost support on the second vote.

The cracks are beginning to show is what I am saying. I see what they are TRYING to do, and had success at in past, but now we are starting to see them fail. Because “burn it all down” isn’t a party platform that can unify disparate elements.
Every vote exposes the fascists in the GOP.

They are trying to destroy one of the pillars of US democracy by paralysing it.

This is the political insurrection after failing with using proud boys and other similar groups to try the violent one.

I think you are all confusing fascism for panicked desperation aka rats painted into a corner. Maybe it’s the same thing. Regardless, these tactics are all signs that they have no other options. These are the tactics employed by a side trying to retain control over bureaucratic, representative, executive and judicial institutions that are slowly slipping away from them and are now collectively beginning to contravene them. It is/was inevitable, eventually. And as long as Trump or his close ilk can stay out of the WH I suspect you will continue to see MAGA eat itself. Cold comfort I know. Worrying, yes. But the most recent tales of the tape — Biden winning, insurrectionists in jail, the midterm election results going much better for blues, Trump’s legal woes, the Jordan/McCarthy debacle — indicate MAGAs aren’t “winning”.

Last edited:
I think you are all confusing fascism for panicked desperation aka rats painted into a corner. Maybe it’s the same thing. Regardless, these tactics are all signs that they have no other options. These are the tactics employed by a side trying to retain control over bureaucratic, representative, executive and judicial institutions that are slowly slipping away from them and are now collectively beginning to contravene them. It is/was inevitable, eventually. And as long as Trump or his close ilk can stay out of the WH I suspect you will continue to see MAGA eat itself. Cold comfort I know. Worrying, yes. But the most recent tales of the tape — Biden winning, insurrectionists in jail, the midterm election results going much better for blues, Trump’s legal woes, the Jordan/McCarthy debacle — indicate MAGAs aren’t “winning”.

As much as I want to believe the GOP are slipping to irrelevance it’s just not true. Even in the current trajectory….

Ignoring the fact that they still have a choke hold on many state governments with only purple states and blue states rejecting MAGA;

….they still have 6 priests on the Supreme Court including the 3 young ones appointed by Trump, sizable amounts of federal judges already appointed by Trump which has already turned the fifth circuit court into a right wing nut job factory, and institutional advantages given to them by the Senate and Electoral College that will always keep them very close to power or powerful obstructionists even if their popularity shrinks further.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.