US Politics Thread

Whilst I agree that he’s not fit for office, any office actually, is this not a slippery slope to go down? If he’s a convicted criminal and it’s in the rules he can’trun then that’s one thing but for courts to decide who can or can’t run doesn’t seem very democratic to me.

I personally think he should be in jail but just questioning this decision.

Well there’s a reason the 14th amendment exists. A democracy can’t tolerate people who try and dismantle democracy. It’s self-defeating. Having no safeguards is how you end up with the Putins and Hitlers of the world. And it’s not like it is being used without precedent, it was introduced to prevent senior Confederates who had instigated the civil war from running for office.

In terms of slippery slope, I don’t really agree as it’s actually super super easy to avoid this clause being used against you. Simply don’t incite a coup.

You can’t really have it based on a conviction, because if somebody has literally overturned democracy then it’s highly feasible they are also evading conviction. So the judges have to weigh up - did Trump try to overturn democracy? Does the clause apply to him? Those are really the only two questions in play here.

You absolutely need independent courts checking the power of the executive. They do not have unbridled power to do what they want in the name of democracy, as the Tories have learned. That way leads complete madness and the downfall of many many nations.

This is one of the best pollsters for New Hampshire. No surprise it shows the Haley-mentum is largely manufactured by the media.

The GOP primary is winner take all so Trump sitting at 52% means it’s close to being a lock. With the caveat that New Hampshire is the one of the least MAGA states in the early primaries.

He's 1/8 favourite to become the Gop representative. I was watching this earlier which was interesting as the main lawyer reckons if the supreme Court do indeed agree with Colorado Trump could be fucked in every other state. Must admit I did say yesterday that they will overrule and let Trump back on the ballot, but listening to this guy ( Which I've done a lot ) he thinks the Supreme Court will effectively be making him a Dictator and he'll screw them all over if they side with him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.