US Politics Thread

After weeks of trying to pretend the GOP primary is close or even interesting by the media, we are still where this all started with the first two primaries just a couple weeks away…

After weeks of trying to pretend the GOP primary is close or even interesting by the media, we are still where this all started with the first two primaries just a couple weeks away…

That’s how cults operate. The question will be what happens with the non-cultists. Do they say better GOP than Dem, sit it out, or go blue (in the general)?

At a town hall in N.H. tonight Nikki Haley was asked what she thought was the cause of the Civil War. Caught off guard she mumbled something about it always having to with the role of government. The questioner wanted her to say "slavery" but no she wasn't going there.

(After all, both slavery and the Civil War are over, right?)

They say that Trump stinks, that he wears a nappy, that he farts uncontrollably. His personal hygiene is the No.1 subject in America. If you are a presidential candidate, you can utter racist nonsense and get away with it. You can lie with impunity. You can stage a coup and no-one bothers but beware: you had better not have B.O.
Trump will be brought down not by his incompetence but by his incontinence.
#trumpsmells.

At a town hall in N.H. tonight Nikki Haley was asked what she thought was the cause of the Civil War. Caught off guard she mumbled something about it always having to with the role of government. The questioner wanted her to say "slavery" but no she wasn't going there.

FYI this is the “moderate” Republican…

Strange, as the former Governor of South Carolina she would surely know that they were the first state to secede from the union.

You would also presume that she would have at some point read South Carolina's Declaration of Secession. It is, after all, quite a short document, totalling only about 2000 words.

Then, you think she would have noticed how it mentions the words "slave", "slavery" or "slaveholding" 18 times.

I find it kind of amazing how easy it has been for Republicans to re-write a history that you can simply look up. It took me one minute of Googling to find the actual words in the secession document, upon which their reason for seceding is abundantly clear.

You would also presume that she would have at some point read South Carolina's Declaration of Secession.
Why would one presume that?

To your point, though, as a child of Sikh immigrants, with a father who taught at an historically all-black college, you'd figure she'd be a bit more in tune with her ethnicity and that of others, and/or her gender.

But grifting conservative opportunists courting the votes of dumbfuck white hicks tend to want to cover that shit up . . .

The reason the GOP re-write history is that cults simply believe lies told by their leaders. Fact-checking has no impact on them. Fact-checking is "just politics".

On another note, I am still trying to get over the depression of an extremely smart friend of mine who when faced with Trump and Biden will vote for Trump "because of his policies" despite the fact that this guy is so prim and proper that he is the golf rules guru at his country club and in all other respects as moral a man as I know.

Strange, as the former Governor of South Carolina she would surely know that they were the first state to secede from the union.

You would also presume that she would have at some point read South Carolina's Declaration of Secession. It is, after all, quite a short document, totalling only about 2000 words.

Then, you think she would have noticed how it mentions the words "slave", "slavery" or "slaveholding" 18 times.

I find it kind of amazing how easy it has been for Republicans to re-write a history that you can simply look up. It took me one minute of Googling to find the actual words in the secession document, upon which their reason for seceding is abundantly clear.

Why would one presume that?

To your point, though, as a child of Sikh immigrants, with a father who taught at an historically all-black college, you'd figure she'd be a bit more in tune with her ethnicity and that of others, and/or her gender.

But grifting conservative opportunists courting the votes of dumbfuck white hicks tend to want to cover that shit up . . .

The reason the GOP re-write history is that cults simply believe lies told by their leaders. Fact-checking has no impact on them. Fact-checking is "just politics".

On another note, I am still trying to get over the depression of an extremely smart friend of mine who when faced with Trump and Biden will vote for Trump "because of his policies" despite the fact that this guy is so prim and proper that he is the golf rules guru at his country club and in all other respects as moral a man as I know.

The Lost Cause is ingrained in most southern middle-aged-and-older voters.

The alternative is for them to topple the notion of their “noble” ancestors and admit that they fought for a horrible cause.

It’s very difficult given their system of honor and ancestor worship.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.