US Politics Thread

Shame as I think that makes Trump’s success far more likely, as hatred/lack of confidence of Biden in some quarters appears to…errr… trump uneasiness about Trump.

I agree, Harris is an even bigger liability than Biden.

From what I’ve seen I’ve been impressed with Newsome, but that’s only a ex tempore, superficial view.

Could he stand as someone’s VP? Not sure where that sits with the 22nd Amendment as he’s already held that office twice.
Mate, no matter who the Democratic President is the hatred/lack of confidence in that person would be exactly the same. The poll numbers would read precisely equivalent to Biden’s. This is how cults operate. The consumer confidence data proves this. Reds think the economy sucks. Blues and independents thinks it’s fine to good. But the data is what it is and before Trump there was almost no difference in how people of different political persuasions viewed the economy — everyone keyed off their personal experiences and data like the unemployment rate and the inflation they saw at the pump and the supermarket. I wrote a whole piece on this topic for work.

As a Californian, I guarantee you Newsom’s poll numbers would be just as low — maybe lower. Harris’s too. The irony is Biden is about the most moderate and morally decent and experienced candidate Democrats could have put up and he’s still detested by cult members.

Last edited:
It's crazy to think that more decent Dem candidates weren't developed over the past 10 years.

Someone ideally from Massachusetts, Conecticut, Rhode Island, New York or Philidelphia, i.e. where people are mostly "normal".
There's some fantastic candidates but anyone with an idea that helps the people rather than the lobbyists are called "progressives" and ostracised.

I'd argue the US is either a plutocracy, or Corporacracy than the democracy it claims to be.

And we in the UK are heading the same way.

Shame as I think that makes Trump’s success far more likely, as hatred/lack of confidence of Biden in some quarters appears to…errr… trump uneasiness about Trump.

I agree, Harris is an even bigger liability than Biden.

From what I’ve seen I’ve been impressed with Newsome, but that’s only a ex tempore, superficial view.

Could he stand as someone’s VP? Not sure where that sits with the 22nd Amendment as he’s already held that office twice.
I also like Butigeg when he speaks, again from a high level view. Sounds thoughtful and intelligent but hes gay so he got no chance.

I think Biden will stick but it could be a mistake as even though unemployment is at its lowest for a ling time and inflation is dropping, he has a lot of perception attached to him with his age and this non stop mud flinging from the MAGA cultists.

baffles me their libel laws. He should have sued them to high heaven when they call him paedo and corrupt in plain day light. But apparently its ok if you believe what youre saying.

I also like Butigeg when he speaks, again from a high level view. Sounds thoughtful and intelligent but hes gay so he got no chance.

I think Biden will stick but it could be a mistake as even though unemployment is at its lowest for a ling time and inflation is dropping, he has a lot of perception attached to him with his age and this non stop mud flinging from the MAGA cultists.

baffles me their libel laws. He should have sued them to high heaven when they call him paedo and corrupt in plain day light. But apparently its ok if you believe what youre saying.

I like Buttigeg too. He's been a good transport secretary over there and comes across a strong leader as well.

There's some fantastic candidates but anyone with an idea that helps the people rather than the lobbyists are called "progressives" and ostracised.

I'd argue the US is either a plutocracy, or Corporacracy than the democracy it claims to be.

And we in the UK are heading the same way.
I'd imagine that there are enough dems and non-Trumps to go with a "progressive" if he/she looked good, spoke good and didn't have a sordid past.

But does this person exist.

I wouldn't meet any of those criteria by the way.

Mate, no matter who the Democratic President is the hatred/lack of confidence in that person would be exactly the same. The poll numbers would read precisely equivalent to Biden’s. This is how cults operate. The consumer confidence data proves this. Reds think the economy sucks. Blues and independents thinks it’s fine to good. But the data is what it is and before Trump there was almost no difference in how people of different political persuasions viewed the economy — everyone keyed off their personal experiences and data like the unemployment rate and the inflation they saw at the pump and the supermarket. I wrote a whole piece on this topic for work.

As a Californian, I guarantee you Newsom’s poll numbers would be just as low — maybe lower. Harris’s too. The irony is Biden is about the most moderate and morally decent and experienced candidate Democrats could have put up and he’s still detested by cult members.
I don’t doubt what you say about the cult, insofar as whoever the Democrats put up would be vilified by them, it’s just a question about what % of those who vote they represent.

I would put that number at 25-33%. I refuse to accept its close to 50% - although if it is then this debate is moot in any event. If they are in the cult then then they are a lost cause, full stop.

The outcome of this election (not for the first time) is about that 10% or so who could go either way, and I still question whether Biden is the best to capture that section of the electorate, especially given his age.

I don’t doubt what you say about the cult, insofar as whoever the Democrats put up would be vilified by them, it’s just a question about what % of those who vote they represent.

I would put that number at 25-33%. I refuse to accept its close to 50% - although if it is then this debate is moot in any event. If they are in the cult then then they are a lost cause, full stop.

The outcome of this election (not for the first time) is about that 10% or so who could go either way, and I still question whether Biden is the best to capture that section of the electorate, especially given his age.
Maybe if he ditched Harris for a better VP he might fare better? I bet a few are thinking if he kicks it, I dont want her taking over.

Maybe if he ditched Harris for a better VP he might fare better? I bet a few are thinking if he kicks it, I dont want her taking over.
Kicks it, or loses capacity.

Yes, I’m sure that’s part of the equation for some - and must become an increasing consideration for them as Biden continues to age.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.