US Politics Thread

If elected, his term would be scheduled to end in just under five years time. Half a decade. Anyone who has watched the cognitive decline of elderly relatives will realise just how long that period of time can be, and what it can entail.

Personally, I think he’s still very alert and with it overall, and also extremely competent with overall good judgement, but it doesn’t mean I don’t have concerns about how those characteristics will potentially manifest themselves in the years ahead, given his age, and the gaffes that he is presently prone to.

I think it’s unlikely that he won’t decline further in the next five years, and possibly to a point where he ceases to be an effective leader. That isn’t being ageist or saying that someone in their mid-‘80s couldn’t be an effective leader, but it would be wilfully blind to suggest it isn’t a legitimate concern - a concern that is hugely accentuated by what is at stake for the US and the world.

In fact, the system itself means that if Biden spirals downhill quickly between now and November, which is perfectly feasible given his age and some of the signs, then what is the answer? Harris? Can anyone conceivably see her winning?

It’s perfectly legitimate to debate Biden’s age and potential (and arguably manifest) associated issues. That doesn’t mean I don’t want him to win, I just think those issues mean it’s more likely he won’t.

Good points. Ironically, if Biden was running against a generic GOP opponent then I think it is more likely he would lose. Running against Trump is his best shot.

Biden has already beaten Trump and that was without the advantages of being the incumbent against a backdrop of a good economy. Replacing Biden is on balance more of a risk than keeping Biden. Trump can’t bully Biden either, nor does Biden hide his contempt for Trump and as the incumbent Biden can set the agenda.

If a voter is concerned about mental decline, then that is manifested far more in Trump than Biden - 7/11 not 9/11, saying it’s Saturday when’s it Friday and that’s just in the last 48 hours. In that sense it’s a level playing field. What that says about the ‘field’ is a conversation for another day.

The battle for the House and Senate is equally important and I think the House is a lock for the Dems. Senate I have no idea but if that remains under Dem control then a Trump win through the vagaries of the EC becomes less of an issue.

Irrespective of what happens, Europe needs to wean itself off US dependence militarily. De Gaulle in the sixties argued that Europe could not rely on the US and had to fend for itself as a ‘United Europe’. This was one of the drivers of the EU and it’s long past time for that defensive autonomy to be realised.

Good points. Ironically, if Biden was running against a generic GOP opponent then I think it is more likely he would lose. Running against Trump is his best shot.

Biden has already beaten Trump and that was without the advantages of being the incumbent against a backdrop of a good economy. Replacing Biden is on balance more of a risk than keeping Biden. Trump can’t bully Biden either, nor does Biden hide his contempt for Trump and as the incumbent Biden can set the agenda.

If a voter is concerned about mental decline, then that is manifested far more in Trump than Biden - 7/11 not 9/11, saying it’s Saturday when’s it Friday and that’s just in the last 48 hours. In that sense it’s a level playing field. What that says about the ‘field’ is a conversation for another day.

The battle for the House and Senate is equally important and I think the House is a lock for the Dems. Senate I have no idea but if that remains under Dem control then a Trump win through the vagaries of the EC becomes less of an issue.

Irrespective of what happens, Europe needs to wean itself off US dependence militarily. De Gaulle in the sixties argued that Europe could not rely on the US and had to fend for itself as a ‘United Europe’. This was one of the drivers of the EU and it’s long past time for that defensive autonomy to be realised.
All great points, and tbf I didn’t touch on Trump’s manifest cognitive decline, powered as it is by narcotics and hate as much as the ageing process. I guess it’s just an area where a point of difference would be more likely to seal the deal for the Dems, and given where they both presently are it’s a bit of a game of roulette who declines most precipitously from here.

It’s actually insane we are having this conversation.

Last edited:
More importantly, as Republicans rarely switch teams in an election, Biden may not be palatable to a lot of Republicans, but neither is Trump, so let’s hope they stay home!

The national presidential election comes down to the 15-20% of voters who do not identify with either party, but it’s the ones in the very evenly balanced “swing states” that decide it. Believe it or not, the entire election can come down to 1 vote in a small state, crazy as that might seem!
The odds of the Dems winning the electoral vote are 1/4 whilst the GOP are currently 10/11 to win the election.
Tells you all you need to know about first past the post.

If you can’t see it’s his frailty and ever apparent decreasing mental function that is helping the orange shitgibbon then there really is no hope!

Surely, unlike us racist Brits, you guys would vote for a mixed race female for President so why not let Kamala run?

You would have to be one dumb, dumb motherfucker not to see that yes?
@blueinsa... You are clearly unfamiliar with Biden's past, as a political figure. Let me educate you...

Biden has always been prone - off-scale-massively-prone - to gaffes. For example, Obama had to excuse/apologize/deflect criticism against Biden in this regard on multiple occasions. Google it.

Is Biden now, given his proclivity to put foot-firmly-into-mouth much different than the Biden of past years?... For me, I can't tell the difference.

Is Biden now, much less agile, walking like an old man, and is this a marked departure from past years?... For me, yes, absolutely. Biden walks like a Goddamn 80-year-old... oh wait!!!

You, @blueinsa, are massively out-of-touch with reality regarding US politics.

You label Biden as some sort of village idiot who cannot be trusted. Whereas in fact, I love Biden. I'd vote for Biden ahead of any other candidate for US President right now, because of what he has done in the past 3+ years as President.

Biden is my preferred US candidate,

I love his policies and his careful, skillfully adroit actions in both domestic and foreign policy.

My sentiment is an obvious departure from the run-of-the-mill progressive opinion - but so be it. I'm a erstwhile staunch conservative, who cannot stomach the anti-Democracy shit coming out of the reconstituted Republican ( MAGA) party.

Moreover, Biden is a likeable figure. You offer Camila Harris as a potential - and in your opinion much-preferred-by-all-instead-of--Biden candidate for the presidency- zero upside for me. Harris is much-more disliked than Biden (I certainly don't like her) and would fare far worse against Trump in an election - that you offer Harris as an alternative to Biden simply proves that you are 100% out-of-touch with US politics.

Biden is an old guy. His physical demeanor manifests this. He might well die within the next 2-to-3 years based on genetics.

Yet, Biden is pretty-much the same, with regard to metal acuity, as he was 30 years ago. Prone to gaffes, punctuated by frequent stuttering.

If you somehow assume that Biden is brain-dead, how do you account for his policy choices, which I back 100% (other than the evacuation from Afghanistan which I think was botched)?
===
Bottom line - you, blueinsa are a sheep. You follow the anti-Biden, he's-mentally-infirm rhetoric promulgated by Putin and MAGA Republicans, as a stupid, unwilling, but useful dupe, incapable of forming thoughts independent from your favorite news feeds.

You, @blueinsa, are a useful idiot.

Last edited:
I mean the point you’re - seemingly deliberately - ignoring is that no matter what Trump says or does, he will still get his 70m cultist votes, so the only question is how do the Democrats get enough people to come out and vote to defeat them.

You think Biden is the answer, many others don’t, which is fine. Hopefully for all of us you are right come November.
Right. The problem is none of them have an answer at all, at least not a rational one they can defend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.