US Politics Thread

I think something very bad are happening in the US, because I do know that the "uyghur genocide" is a lie, "social credit" is a lie too, and "religious oppression" "minority ethnic oppression", they are all lies. And that means, I think nearly 4/5 of American population can be tuned into a false narrative. The democracy in America is in a very dangerous situation.
This post illustrates just how fucked up so-called free speech is.

We are now free to pick and choose our realities by listening to and believing broadcasts that echo our beliefs.

Worse still is upcoming... what happens when AI and Internet hacking combine to worst effect?

Credible-seeming posts from trusted outlets can easily be faked - probably now - but certainly in the next few years. Actors hostile to the US/UK/Democracy will certainly exploit this.

And then... what?... How does one know what is true and what is false? Virtually unregulated free speech is fucking bullshit.

IMO, there needs to be a huge change in free speech laws to align with modernity.

There needs to be an authority in charge of flagging political speech as truthful or not. And there needs to be a trusted stamp of approval - backed by cryptography that's (virtually) impossible to crack - even in the advent that quantum computing becomes practical (it eventually will) - such stamp from a trusted authority authenticating a post as real.

Otherwise, no one knows what's true or false, and there's zero chance that decisions can rationally be made.

Last edited:
This post seems to be more than a bit misleading - as if Biden supports genocide of Palestinians.

Israel is a longstanding ally of the US and the Hamas attack on Israel was rightly met with condemnation and subsequent arms support. What's transpired since is that Netanyahu has engaged in an indiscriminate attack on Palestinians. This clearly isn't going to win anything other than perhaps support for Netanyahu among hard line Israelis.

Biden is caught in a fucking political mess. He's tried to push back on Netanyahu but that's risky - politically in the US and in terms of long term diplomatic relations with Isreal.

It's a fucking mess.

Biden is, IMO, doing about the best he can.

somebody needs to tell Joe how many Muslim voters there are in the USA - especially the ones in swing states

This post illustrates just how fucked up so-called free speech is.

We are now free to pick and chose our realities by listening to and believing broadcasts that echo our beliefs.

Worse still is upcoming... what happens when AI and Internet hacking combine to worst effect?

Credible-seeming posts from trusted outlets can easily be faked - probably now - but certainly in the next few years. Actors hostile to the US/UK/Democracy will certainly exploit this.

And then... what?

IMO, there needs to be a huge change in free speech laws to align with modernity.

There needs to be an authority in charge of flagging political speech as truthful or not. And there needs to be a trusted stamp of approval - backed by cryptography that's (virtually) impossible to crack - even in the advent that quantum computing becomes practical (it eventually will).

Otherwise, no one knows what's true or false, and there's zero chance that decisions can rationally be made.
I feel sad.
I live in this country all my life. I don't live in Xinjiang, but it's not some mysterious place. Many people have some family members, classmates, friends, who live in Xinjiang. It's a place if i buy a ticket now, I can be there tomorrow.
It's a lie. Everybody , we are the people here living on the ground, we know it.
Those media, they lie to you .
feeling depressed

I feel sad.
I live in this country all my life. I don't live in Xinjiang, but it's not some mysterious place. Many people have some family members, classmates, friends, who live in Xinjiang. It's a place if i buy a ticket now, I can be there tomorrow.
It's a lie. Everybody , we are the people here living on the ground, we know it.
Those media, they lie to you .
feeling depressed
And there you go... yet another someone in the echo chamber of mistruth who will never, ever be convinced that he's listening to lies.

And there you go... yet another someone in the echo chamber of mistruth who will never, ever be convinced that he's listening to lies.

If the Clinton fiasco and the Brexit fuck up hasn't taught you anything yet then there is no hope. The world is an echo chamber and depending on who you're listening to you're getting completely different information.

But who do you believe? There is no final arbiter at all in the political space or the media.
Reread my previous posts.

I'm arguing that there needs to be an arbiter, otherwise there's no knowing what's true versus what's false. And it's going to get exponentially less clear in a few years once AI kicks in.

There needs to be a massive, massive change in what constitutes free speech - otherwise what is true is completely unknown.

I think that free speech can largely be maintained - except that there needs to be:
1) Cryptographically unbreakable stamps showing who is claiming what;
2) An arbiter of truth, cryptographically stamping posts as unverified/untrue/misleading or verified.

I think that 1 and 2 above are possible; and moreover, are necessary.

Reread my previous posts.

I'm arguing that there needs to be an arbiter, otherwise there's no knowing what's true versus what's false. And it's going to get exponentially less clear in a few years once AI kicks in.

There needs to be a massive, massive change in what constitutes free speech - otherwise what is true is completely unknown.

There isn't an arbiter because there isn't anyone fit enough to be one and with the amount of lies and misinformation out there you'd need an army of them.

This is the truth it's happening now and unless you live in a dictatorship where your democratic rights are infringed it will always happen when you get to vote or decide through information given to you in bad faith.

Sleepy Joe Biden
Cheeto boy
Cackling Kamala

Rishi Sunak
Sir Keir Starmer

All ridiculed, nobody respects politicians mainly because they are liars, I console myself with the knowledge that unless we live in an outright autocracy where we have no fake democracy to cling onto then I will just lean back watch the mental gymnastics of people explaining why their side is the best.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.