US Politics Thread

This all stems from an 18th Century document that has been found pitifully wanting.
The Founding Fathers gave future Americans plenty of ways to allow the living breathing document to change with the times, and it did, until strict Constructionists decided they wanted their White Christian Patriarchy back and made certain 38 states would never be able to affirm any potential Amendments, unless it was an ultra-conservative change, of course!

Last edited:
Makes Nixon’s resignation seem almost quaint now, as Watergate wouldn’t even be a crime now, would it?!

No that is something of an unintended consequence that I’ve seen a few legal commentators discuss, it basically exonerates Nixon in full. Obviously, he was pardoned so it’s always been more of a thought experiment anyway.

If the Supreme Court of today were the Supreme Court of 1972 then Nixon need not have resigned.

And arguably its biggest flaw was to allow Congress to decide how the Supreme Court functioned. You know, the bit that’s supposed to be independent.

I’m sure it made sense at the time.
It did make sense at the time , and for a long term worked effectively and in the best interests of the nation.

But that was in a world that is unrecognisable today.

The Founding Fathers gave future Americans plenty of ways to allow the living breathing document to change with the times, and it did, until staunch Constructionists decided they wanted their White Christian Patriarchy back and made certain 38 states would never be able to affirm any potential Amendments, unless it was an ultra-conservative change, of course!
Isn’t the fact that the Constructionists were allowed to hijack the process in that way damning of the USC itself?

And arguably its biggest flaw was to allow Congress to decide how the Supreme Court functioned. You know, the bit that’s supposed to be independent.

I’m sure it made sense at the time.
Im not sure I understand what you mean, as its the other way around, if I thought I understood the checks and balances.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.