US Politics Thread | Biden withdraws from Presidential election race

Yes, that's what he's saying. All journalists on his side are simon-pure and perfect in everything they publish, except those on the other side, where every word they write is a lie and to be condemned.

Happy now?

Didn't I dismiss you already? It'll be a cold day in hell when I take lessons in morals from an American journalist who backed the wrong Horse again.

I don't watch Fox, but you should because there are two sides not just one. You cannot have the opinion that the journalists you don't agree with are the only ones who lie.

Hold the back pages, are you saying that no journalist lies or stretches the truth?
Yes ok youre telling the truth youre right, Im sorry Ive been wrong all along. What a **** I turned out to be!

Didn't I dismiss you already? It'll be a cold day in hell when I take lessons in morals from an American journalist who backed the wrong Horse again.
As I noted, I'm not a journalist but I guess it's hard to comprehend what you read when there's steam coming out of your ears.

Anyhow, given your behavio(u)r here -- for years, mind -- my guess is you haven't taken those lessons from anybody else either, so I don't feel especially slighted by that TBH.

What makes this stuff even more horrendous is that there are people out there who don't add any weight or take seriously the absolute notion that these oddball theories don't carry any weight, people believe ANYTHING these days and can find a nut to back their opinion up.

Remember the 2016 election with their "fact check" slogan from news channels, like journalists and news organisations are the arbiters of truth?
Well, yeah, good faith journalists and news organisations are arbiters of truth, along with documentarians, historians, scientists, people widely considered to be subject matter experts, and—in many ways—artists of all types.

That’s how “truth” works in society. You hold many things to be “true” because you read them or heard them or saw them or felt them (even tasted them) somewhere, likely from someone of an occupation listed above.

At least, I hope that is the case. Please don’t tell me you are getting your “truth” from bad faith actors, Twxttxr, or the bloke that’s always at your local!

Well, yeah, good faith journalists and news organisations are arbiters of truth, along with documentarians, historians, scientists, people widely considered to be subject matter experts, and—in many ways—artists of all types.

That’s how “truth” works in society. You hold many things to be “true” because you read them or heard them or saw them or felt them (even tasted them) somewhere, likely from someone of an occupation listed above.

At least, I hope that is the case. Please don’t tell me you are getting your “truth” from bad faith actors or the bloke that’s always at your local!

You can't argue in goods faith that the truth you get is only from your own personally selected arbiter discounting other arbiters as not really truthful.

That's where I am coming from, that's why I mentioned Fox. I am not a conspiracy theorist a flat earther a Trumper a Bidenista or otherwise. I don't believe that Russia did everything although I do blame them for invading Ukraine.

Are you comfortable in just believing the news that you agree with? Are you in agreement that ignoring the wider populace and calling them stupid will fend off populism?

We were talking specifically about journalists not bloody historians or artists.

You can't argue in goods faith that the truth you get is only from your own personally selected arbiter discounting other arbiters as not really truthful.

That's where I am coming from, that's why I mentioned Fox. I am not a conspiracy theorist a flat earther a Trumper a Bidenista or otherwise. I don't believe that Russia did everything although I do blame them for invading Ukraine.

Are you comfortable in just believing the news that you agree with? Are you in agreement that ignoring the wider populace and calling them stupid will fend off populism?

We were talking specifically about journalists not bloody historians or artists.
Where do you get your “truth”?

Where do you get your “truth”?

Just about everywhere I don't limit myself at all in any way. If I am truly interested in something I wont get my information from just one source or you wont get the full story.

This forum is full of people observing the mantra "Don't believe everything you read" but what they really believe is that you should "believe everything they read".

My comment about journalism isn't exactly groundbreaking.

Just about everywhere I don't limit myself at all in any way. If I am truly interested in something I wont get my information from just one source or you wont get the full story.

This forum is full of people observing the mantra "Don't believe everything you read" but what they really believe is that you should "believe everything they read".

My comment about journalism isn't exactly groundbreaking.
What are your standards for determining if a source is good faith, well-sourced, authoritative, and trustworthy?

What are your standards for determining if a source is good faith, well-sourced, authoritative, and trustworthy?

As I have stated I have little faith in the sources now, I don't trust journalism or indeed the establishment, furthermore I have very little power to change it or bring it to book.

The one thing I will do is admit that people in power lie and be at least open to being convinced even if I am not really that interested, the two things I don't care for are echo chambers and idealogues.

When a person is invested too deeply in a political mantra it's as if they are in a cult IMHO, devoid of an eclectic healthy diversity of thought.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.