US Politics Thread

That's exactly the point. But I think it's worth backtracking for a moment, and recognising what that cost Biden. Above and beyond his ego, he saw the bigger picture.
Now all politicians have pretty outsize egos, and all like power. They may use power to good ends, they may abuse it, but they all definitely like it. That is the game they're in.
I remember very clearly when Mitterand stood for his second term of office as president in ’88, it was clear even to those who had been well disposed towards him in 1981, that he not a well man, and no longer fit for purpose. Remember that a presidential term in France at that time was seven years! To this day, I consider that the man's ego got the better of him — he was always, consciously or unconsciously (mainly the former) in competition with De Gaulle, and De Gaulle's legacy, and I'm convinced he just thought, “Sod it, he had two terms as president, I'm going to get my two terms, and to hell with the country”. Anybody who doubts what I'm saying might ponder the fact that the National Library — the copyright library that is the equivalent of the BL — is called the Bibliothèque François-Mittérand (although no-one calls it that, of course. I don't know a single person who uses that library who calls it by that name).
So, to go back to Joe Biden: it must have hurt him, hurt his ego, to know that despite having had a pretty good term, there was a groundswell of opinion — there were doubts before, but especially after that debate — not just within the country but within his own party that the election was unwinnable if he did not stand down.
I repeat: if Harris does pull this off, Biden should get some credit for just being big enough to rise above his own pride. It doesn't always happen with that lot, left or right…
The magnitude of what Biden did in stepping aside cannot be understated. That was huge.

Last night's debate was a great debate - perhaps the greatest debate in American history, or even in the history of the entire world. A perfect debate. Many legal scholars are saying so.

And the dogs! EATING THE DOGS! Sad, so sad.

This is why I'm announcing the sale of commemorative, digital, debate-moment trading cards. They're really something, I can tell you. My favorite, is the one picturing Venezuelan criminals slipping across the border... that's why crime is so high in America, you know.

And the Viktor Orban handshake card is special too.

Folks, get your credit cards out and text "Covfefe" to 1-800-BIG-SCAM to help pay my mounting legal bills.

With your help we can Make America Great Again!

Last edited:
I don't know that Harris has too much to gain from another debate. She proved everything she needed to prove from the first one, and I dont know that even another dominant performance will make much of a difference. Just remains to be seen what effect last night has on the polls.

Although it would be funny to see her offering a debate and Trump running for the hills.

I don't know that Harris has too much to gain from another debate. She proved everything she needed to prove from the first one, and I dont know that even another dominant performance will make much of a difference. Just remains to be seen what effect last night has on the polls.

Although it would be funny to see her offering a debate and Trump running for the hills.
I think she should and ask Fox to host it.

I think she should and ask Fox to host it.
Please, I'd like not to slip into Hillary Clinton-levels of overconfidence.

Her side's already asked for another debate; he's said he doesn't think he needs to because he won; let's leave it at that. Ball's in his court.

Very high viewership for last night's debate. This bodes well for Democracy as a large segment of the American voting public will have had a timely reminder of the difference between a grudge-bearing, conspiracy-spreading demagogue and someone who is actually qualified to become president.

Just watching Sky News and they have Kate Andrew’s (?) of the IEA telling us that she has no skin in the game, only to then have skin in the game to say how ‘not bad’ Trump was.

Pathetic shit and only goes to show what Sky will do to court controversy.

I don't think either of them will change any minds because it's all so polarised. Key thing will be who can make their supporters angry enough to turn out to vote against the other. This is where trump losing might 'win' if he spins it as victimhood.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.