US Politics Thread

Thanks, Alvin, for this clarification of your original post.

I must say, though, whether viewed through the lens of a die-hard MAGA Trump voter, or a Harris supporter, your post is completely off the mark.

There is a massive, unprecedented difference between the two candidates.

I would agree though, that in the past, say 16 years or so ago, pre-Trump, there wasn't a massive difference between electing a Republican as President versus electing a Democrat. Governance in the US is based on a balance of power between the Executive (the President leads this branch); the Judicial (the Supreme Court of the US leads this branch); and the Legislative (the Senate and the House of Congress form this branch). In the past, any President would accept the limitations imposed by shared governance between executive-judicial-legislative.

Trump, however, represents a huge departure from the above. Trump wants all power vested in the Executive. In other words, whatever Trump says is law - end of.

So, were Trump elected to President in 2024 what would happen? He'd certainly attempt to aggregate all power in the Executive. What's to stop him?

Normally, the Judicial branch would act as a curb. If the Executive steps too far out-of-line, they'd rule against the Executive in suits brought to their court. Trouble is, the Judicial branch is stacked in favor of MAGA. It's not clear how radical some of the right-leaning justices are... perhaps (or I think likely) some of them would balk against attempts of the Executive to seize all power; yet, it's likely that some Justices will retire in the next 4 years; should Trump be President, he'll attempt to install 100% loyalists.

As for the Legislative branch... should MAGA win control of both House and Senate, it's likely that they will simply enact whatever Trump wants. Congressmen and Senators are elected officials. Their chief motivation is to get re-elected. And if they were elected to support Trump... that's what they'll do.

In short, there's a massive, historically unique, difference between electing Harris for President versus electing Trump for President. Trump will attempt to change the system of governance in the US from Democracy to Autocracy.

As for your positive view with regard to Musk, unless you're in favor of Autocracy you're once more off the mark.

Musk is likely on the spectrum - somewhat autistic - incapable of feeling regard towards others. He has been extremely lucky in his financial ventures. He has garnered the support of the Right due to his political views.

As someone either incapable of or having markedly reduced capacity toward empathy for other human beings, Musk is another individual whom you'd never want in a position of governance.

Many of Musk's ideas are ridiculous; yet he'll back them 100% because their his and because he lacks the ability to listen to critical input. Check out my thread on Musk, especially the first few posts where many of his ideas are discredited.
American people have an admirable faith in democracy and all kinds of good quality.
If you look from my position, if you are a Chinese you can find some obvious "bug" which means your country may not be as democracy as you thought it to be.
But it's hard to make anyone who are proud of the democracy to believe it, because all these things can be called conspiracy. "Deep state" is a conspiracy concept no matter how many times Elon Musk or Jeffrey Sachs talks about it. No proof.
I think Trump will be in control. He knows the consequences.
I don't know. I'd prefer to give people here some information. And I never insist that my post about America must be correct. I am just honestly telling people our thoughts and feelings. I don't insist that these are all right, because we are not Americans.
Don't take it too serious.

American people have an admirable faith in democracy and all kinds of good quality.
If you look from my position, if you are a Chinese you can find some obvious "bug" which means your country may not be as democracy as you thought it to be.
But it's hard to make anyone who are proud of the democracy to believe it, because all these things can be called conspiracy. "Deep state" is a conspiracy concept no matter how many times Elon Musk or Jeffrey Sachs talks about it. No proof.
I don't know. I'd prefer to give people here some information. And I never insist that my post about America must be correct. I am just honestly telling people our thoughts and feelings. I don't insist that these are all right, because we are not Americans.
Cheers.
No Democracy is perfect, sure. But the "deep state" claim is simply conspiracy; propagated by those either not knowing enough to recognize it as such, or those hoping to take advantage of the claim.

Why is "deep state" a conspiracy?

Because for it to be true, there would need to be massive collusion between numerous individuals to keep secret their actions. Next, it presupposes that these individuals would be preternaturally competent, able to hide or erase all evidence of their machinations; and, it would require that individuals affected by the deep state either be so stupid as to be unaware that they were impacted, or to be so frightened of the consequences of outing the deep state that they remain silent.

In all, the "deep state" conspiracy requires that thousands of individuals act in perfect harmony to perfectly keep secret their endeavors or to be so fearsome that anyone aware of what's going on remains silent.

As with most conspiracy theories, the "deep state" conspiracy immediately disintegrates upon rudimentary, first principles reasoning.

Coming from China, where, presumably, any statement against the government is immediately stamped out, and where there is no freedom of press, the point I'm making above, may seem unbelievable. Yet, in a Democracy, with freedom of speech and a free press, what I'm stating is absolutely true.

Last edited:

Alvin, you don't represent all Chinese people.

Many have different opinions to you, although of course they have to be extremely careful if and how they voice them. I know several myself.

You speak for yourself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.