US Politics Thread

In my country, we have some media contents describes the process of dealing with America. Govenment vs Govenment. It gives me an impression that the way two governments make the decisions looks very similiar. Both sides heavily rely on intelligence agencies, technical personnel, and senior administrative officials. And both of them have the ability to make quick decisions.
I don't know if that should be called "deep state" which seems to be a negative word. But it makes me feel that it really doesn't matter who become the president. Sure different president brings different policy. I think even if Trump wins, there won't be too many big mistakes in US policy.
And Elon Musk gives me some confidences, it won't be too bad~~(He is a super star in my country!)
Thanks, Alvin, for this clarification of your original post.

I must say, though, whether viewed through the lens of a die-hard MAGA Trump voter, or a Harris supporter, your post is completely off the mark.

There is a massive, unprecedented difference between the two candidates.

I would agree though, that in the past, say 16 years or so ago, pre-Trump, there wasn't a massive difference between electing a Republican as President versus electing a Democrat. Governance in the US is based on a balance of power between the Executive (the President leads this branch); the Judicial (the Supreme Court of the US leads this branch); and the Legislative (the Senate and the House of Congress form this branch). In the past, any President would accept the limitations imposed by shared governance between executive-judicial-legislative.

Trump, however, represents a huge departure from the above. Trump wants all power vested in the Executive. In other words, whatever Trump says is law - end of.

So, were Trump elected to President in 2024 what would happen? He'd certainly attempt to aggregate all power in the Executive. What's to stop him?

Normally, the Judicial branch would act as a curb. If the Executive steps too far out-of-line, they'd rule against the Executive in suits brought to their court. Trouble is, the Judicial branch is stacked in favor of MAGA. It's not clear how radical some of the right-leaning justices are... perhaps (or I think likely) some of them would balk against attempts of the Executive to seize all power; yet, it's likely that some Justices will retire in the next 4 years; should Trump be President, he'll attempt to install 100% loyalists.

As for the Legislative branch... should MAGA win control of both House and Senate, it's likely that they will simply enact whatever Trump wants. Congressmen and Senators are elected officials. Their chief motivation is to get re-elected. And if they were elected to support Trump... that's what they'll do.

In short, there's a massive, historically unique, difference between electing Harris for President versus electing Trump for President. Trump will attempt to change the system of governance in the US from Democracy to Autocracy.

As for your positive view with regard to Musk, unless you're in favor of Autocracy you're once more off the mark.

Musk is likely on the spectrum - somewhat autistic - incapable of feeling regard towards others. He has been extremely lucky in his financial ventures. He has garnered the support of the Right due to his political views.

As someone either incapable of or having markedly reduced capacity toward empathy for other human beings, Musk is another individual whom you'd never want in a position of governance.

Many of Musk's ideas are ridiculous; yet he'll back them 100% because their his and because he lacks the ability to listen to critical input. Check out my thread on Musk, especially the first few posts where many of his ideas are discredited.

Last edited:

I must say, though, whether viewed through the lens of a die-hard MAGA Trump voter, or a Harris supporter, your post is completely off the mark.

I would agree though, that in the past, say 16 years or so ago, pre-Trump, there wasn't a massive difference between electing a Republican as President versus electing a Democrat. Governance in the US is based on a balance of power between the Executive (the President leads this branch); the Judicial (the Supreme Court of the US leads this branch); and the Legislative (the Senate and the House of Congress form this branch). In the past, any President would accept the limitations imposed by shared governance between executive-judicial-legislative.

Trump, however, represents a huge departure from the above. Trump wants all power vested in the Executive. In other words, whatever Trump says is law - end of.

So, were Trump elected to President in 2024 what would happen? He'd certainly attempt to aggregate all power in the Executive. What's to stop him?

Normally, the Judicial branch would act as a curb. If the Executive steps too far out-of-line, they'd rule against the Executive in suits brought to their court. Trouble is, the Judicial branch is stacked in favor of MAGA. It's not clear how radical some of the right-leaning justices are... perhaps (or I think likely) some of them would balk against attempts of the Executive to seize all power; yet, it's likely that some Justices will retire in the next 4 years; should Trump be President, he'll attempt to install 100% loyalists.

As for the Legislative branch... should MAGA win control of both House and Senate, it's likely that they will simply enact whatever Trump wants. Congressmen and Senators are elected officials. Their chief motivation is to get re-elected. And if they were elected to support Trump... that's what they'll do.

In short, there's a massive, historically unique, difference between electing Harris for President versus electing Trump for President. Trump will attempt to change the system of governance in the US from Democracy to Autocracy.

As for your positive view with regard to Musk, unless you're in favor of Autocracy you're once more off the mark.

Musk is likely on the spectrum - somewhat autistic - incapable of feeling regard towards others. He has been extremely lucky in his financial ventures. He has garnered the support of the Right due to his political views.

As someone either incapable of or having markedly reduced capacity toward empathy for other human beings, Musk is another individual whom you'd never want in a position of governance.

Many of Musk's ideas are ridiculous; yet he'll back them 100% because their his and because he lacks the ability to listen to critical input. Check out my thread on Musk, especially the first few posts where many of his ideas are discredited.
Alvin lives in an autocracy, why wouldn’t he support the likes of Trump and Musk, and every other dictatorship for that matter.

You are asking a Chinese guy for his opinion and then responding with a very US-centric answer. To the Chinese, I would imagine it makes very little difference? Or to me in Thailand, for that matter?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.