US Politics Thread

taking selfies is very damning and opening the gates when there was no crush situation is also daming , of the few videos of the police trying to force them back a tiny police woman was at the front doing her bit , there are whilte police in that trump group
I guess I'm hoping that there'll be an acceptable reason they did that - but not very confident of it to be fair. Sad times.

To be fair, Bob, the last two paragraphs are in your opinion. I doubt that you would swayed from said opinion but, nonetheless it is in your opinion. Much the same with @Rascal who has heartfelt views. Not everyone agrees.
Vis a vis the convenient timing, my take is that it's a case of enough is enough.
All about opinions though.
Yes, in a way it's based on a belief about what goes on behind closed doors. I agree with Bob, however I would point to the impending moves to pass legislation aimed at imposing regulation similair to that affecting the press and TV. Both parties have signalled their intent to pass such legislation.

I see it as the natural lifecycle of these companies. The business models effectively exploit gaps in legislation. There is a distinct lack of regulation compared to existing mass media. At the moment, they have successfully argued that they are merely portals, not publishers or broadcasters. So they operate in an area somewhere between telecoms companies and mass media.

It takes several years for legislatures to react and take action to bring any new market/technology under the same level of scrutiny as existing sectors/industries. That time is used by these firms to establish the dominant/monopolistic position. Then they look to protect that interest by co-operating and pre-empting formal statutory and regulatory controls.

I mean, that is how it appears to be working, and how things generally have worked in the past.

There's nothing cynical in saying they operate in a legal space subject to new legislation, and that is the domain of politicians.

And we know Zuckerberg had meetings with Trump.

Yes, it is an opinion and as I said a cynical one at that, but both things can be true, it can be a case of enough is enough and a line has to be drawn (you will get no argument from me on that), but also allow you to prudently reposition your business to fall on the side of the angels before a new administration with control of the House and the Senate takes over.
I approve of this, Bob. Not that you seek my approbation but you have it, nonetheless.

Can never have too many titties and that is a hill I’m prepared to die on.

And, yes, these companies will always be looking at the political landscape and adapting to, and influencing it, to their best advantage. It would be remiss of them not to do so.
Eccentrica galumbits says hi.

Can never have too many titties and that is a hill I’m prepared to die on.

And, yes, these companies will always be looking at the political landscape and adapting to, and influencing it, to their best advantage. It would be remiss of them not to do so.
And equally remiss of lawmakers not to constrain them and reign them in.

2nd point stating that gay marriage runs counter to the Constitution shows that whoever wrote that is a fucking ****.

Its just insane. McCain known for serious wrongdoing during his military career!? Not only is it bollocks but if it were true then why did literally the same people writing this elect him senator for 30 years?

I think the most telling bit is this "erroneously placed behaviours ahead of presidential results"

They have become a party of extremists. Nothing matters except being in power.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.