US Politics Thread

Wasn't sure where to post this but David Runciman's lengthy article on Obama in the London Review of Books is well worth a read.

I had a friend forward a pdf of the whole thing but I think the site lets you read one article for free. Apologies if this is not the case.

Especially enjoyed the bit about a youthful Obama attempting to impress an 'ethereal bisexual' with his knowledge of Marx and Marcuse. That was quite unexpected. He may be a character who suffers from feet of clay but is obviously light years ahead of the unimprovably stupid Trump (and pretty much most politicians) intellectually, from what I can tell.

The Social media platforms have been banning political expression for a while though, a lot of stuff that i think is abhorrent. The likes of Tommy Robinson have been banned (fuck me i am sticking up for tiny tommy ten names) and this ban is an extension or furthering of that power or if you like censure.

No I didn't see the the tweets, i choose not to avail myself to the utterings of a maniac, but where does it end, that is my issue. I simply do not believe that Social media organisations should have that power, by all means elected Governments can use their power to censure, but leaving it in the hands of corporate entities to decide what is right or wrong is simply not right in a democracy.

Arguably a Govt obliging a private company to allow content that contravenes its terms and conditions is worse than a private company enforcing its terms and conditions. Terms which people agree to before posting.

Facebook doesn’t allow nudity. Can’t remember people suddenly getting stressed about freedom of expression over not being allowed to do a titty post, a post which is way more pleasing and harmless than Tommy Robinson gobbing hate everywhere.

On a wider note, and to be cynical, none of these social media companies or Apple or Google or Amazon are banning the people they allowed for years to say what they wanted because they are ‘horrified’. They are banning them because the Democrats won the Senate on 5th Jan and thus full control of Govt, and the Democrats are itching to go after these companies on anti-trust grounds. That Trump decided to try armed insurrection on the 6th was just convenient timing.

The companies are looking at the new political landscape and positioning themselves to protect their businesses.

The Social media platforms have been banning political expression for a while though, a lot of stuff that i think is abhorrent. The likes of Tommy Robinson have been banned (fuck me i am sticking up for tiny tommy ten names) and this ban is an extension or furthering of that power or if you like censure.

No I didn't see the the tweets, i choose not to avail myself to the utterings of a maniac, but where does it end, that is my issue. I simply do not believe that Social media organisations should have that power, by all means elected Governments can use their power to censure, but leaving it in the hands of corporate entities to decide what is right or wrong is simply not right in a democracy.
And when it is the elected governments or the officials that are the perpetrators, then who should have the power to censure? this is not an argument, i am wondering what the solution should be in that situation.

Have we all made up now , can we get back to what is happening with trump ? We really need the trump thread back but i have asked for it so...

Last edited:
Arguably a Govt obliging a private company to allow content that contravenes its terms and conditions is worse than a private company enforcing its terms and conditions. Terms which people agree to before posting.

Facebook doesn’t allow nudity. Can’t remember people suddenly getting stressed about freedom of expression over not being allowed to do a titty post, a post which is way more pleasing and harmless than Tommy Robinson gobbing hate everywhere.

On a wider note, and to be cynical, none of these social media companies or Apple or Google or Amazon are banning the people they allowed for years to say what they wanted because they are ‘horrified’. They are banning them because the Democrats won the Senate on 5th Jan and thus full control of Govt, and the Democrats are itching to go after these companies on anti-trust grounds. That Trump decided to try armed insurrection on the 6th was just convenient timing.

The companies are looking at the new political landscape and positioning themselves to protect their businesses.
Which quite simply, is what companies do.

Loving the gratuitous use of the word 'titty' btw, bob.

To be fair, Bob, the last two paragraphs are in your opinion. I doubt that you would swayed from said opinion but, nonetheless it is in your opinion. Much the same with @Rascal who has heartfelt views. Not everyone agrees.
Vis a vis the convenient timing, my take is that it's a case of enough is enough.
All about opinions though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.