US Politics Thread

He could engineer a constitutional crisis by amending the constitution by executive order and stacking the SCOTUS with lackeys who would not stop it. There would be obstacles in the way. He could do with one of both houses on his side to help. If they are Dem controlled then he would be impeached etc.

All sorts of chaos could be generated the same way he tried with Jan 6th. And it takes strong willed public officials to stop it.
Such situations are hypothetical and fabulously fanciful; while not entirely beyond the realms of possibility, I just don't see anything like that happening.

On the political question, Trump certainly has his work cut out to win, but Democrat victory currently appears to be relying too much on Trump being cut out of the equation and Biden's health holding. That is hardly an inspiring message for the electorate and, as with the U.K., I fear the consequences of voter apathy.

If he got that far (and I've no idea how an XO would be viewed in relation to whether it could be used to amend the constitution), he'd pretty much have to suspend Congress and declare himself king.
I dont put it past him - and the GOP would not stop him. Especially if he has a jail term hanging over him if he leaves office.

But yeah its effectively the end of American democracy if he does it. It would be massively unpopular and he probably would not do it.

Musings
=======

Well... it seems I'm going to get exactly what I was hoping for some 6 months ago. Namely a Biden-v.-Trump contest for the US Presidency.

And yet...
=========

I may have a bit of "buyer's remorse." Biden-v.-Trump is probably going to be so close that Trump may win. And that would set back Democracy in America, possibly for a long time, as Trump would go about cementing MAGA governance at the federal level and insofar as possible at the state and local level. A complete disaster.

Whereas, a Haley Presidency, for example, although not great, would, I think, adhere to Democratic norms. Thus, even if Haley is likely fare better in a one-on-one v. Biden than Trump... and even though I would not at all like a Haley Presidency... perhaps I'd prefer that Haley run against Biden.

And further yet...
================

You know... the worst thing about the 2024 election to me is not that Trump may win... it's that Trump even has a chance to win. Because a possible Trump victory means that a vast swath of America prefers Trump over Biden; prefers an incompetent fascist over an outstanding candidate in favor of democracy; and this means that the electorate is so gullible and easily mislead as to believe obvious mistruths about... well, just about anything.

At a time when numerous global political crises demand leadership and careful, deliberative action in order to avoid terrible outcomes (in Ukraine, in Gaza, in Iraq and so on), and especially when scientific/expert opinion needs to be followed to avoid or mitigate catastrophe (climate change, ongoing threat from emerging viruses and/or covid mutation, etc.), America is not up to the challenge. Nor do I see other nations taking up the mantle. Populism is waxing large, to the detriment of us all.

Last edited:
Tell me you have a double digit IQ with telling me you’ve got a double digit IQ.

Ps, stop smiling, that’s not actually a compliment.

Ok. Let me confess something.
I will tell you how far Im from Washington: 6.489 km.
Im from the other side of the world.
And now I will tell you, here, in my land, to 6.489 km, what people think and now.

You know, people. The neighbor, the shopkeeper, the postman, the mother who accompanies the children in the park... all that stuff.

They know and think that Trump won that election, despite the traps against him

Do you understand this? You are in another parallel world. That is what it means.

And now I will tell you, here, in my land, to 6.489 km, what people think and now.

You know, people. The neighbor, the shopkeeper, the postman, the mother who accompanies the children in the park... all that stuff.

Do you understand this? You are in another parallel world. That is what it means.
It’s remarkable how a tab of acid and seven Jäegermeister shots give you the courage to try something you shouldn’t, like write.

So all of Spain think Trump was shafted..... there's quite a few blues on here who reside in Spain, be interesting to see what they think.

People's hearts come together, and only in the world of football can this happen.
All other things are parallel worlds! Unfortunately, that's the case.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.