Using the wrong word

My wife says 'learning curb'.
Hacks me off something rotten. Like it's something you'd trip over. Grrr!

a) 'disinterested' (a wonderful term for having no personal investment in an opinion) confused with 'uninterested' (bored )

b) could of / should of (no explanation needed)

c) describing someone or some event as 'The exception that proves the rule' when was is intented was just 'the exception' .. almost the reverse of what was meant...
e.g. "All my family love cricket.. Uncle Dave hate cricket. He's the exception that proves the rule"... errr what ???????

try ... "dry matches can be lit.. that match is wet and can't be lit..".

better and shows the cricket example up for the flabby illogical nonsense that it is

c pisses me off more than a or b

Rant over

dom said:
a) 'disinterested' (a wonderful term for having no personal investment in an opinion) confused with 'uninterested' (bored )

c) describing someone or some event as 'The exception that proves the rule' when was is intented was just 'the exception' .. almost the reverse of what was meant...
e.g. "All my family love cricket.. Uncle Dave hate cricket. He's the exception that proves the rule"... errr what ???????

better and shows the cricket example up for the flabby illogical nonsense that it is

Rant over

You could have used the Queen's English.

602168_580009558684705_800030851_n.jpg

TonyBook said:
dom said:

Rant over

You could have used the Queen's English.

602168_580009558684705_800030851_n.jpg

LOL, Shady !!

whilst searching for a misused apostrophe I spotted 2 typos in my post....

OMG I have just realised that we have a threa that is the literary equivalent of Big Bang Theory !!!!

Carver said:
UUBlue said:
Cheesy said:
Should of.

Could of.

Would of.

It's fucking have you thick, illiterate, backwards, simple, uneducated, ignorant *****!

(Sorry, really bothers me.)

It's not always incorrect to use these forms though.

Please explain when it is correct, except for when you are quoting what somebody else said or wrote ad verbatim. (For example if they are the lyrics to a song).

I would, of course, explain it to you if you were unable to work it out for yourself.

Granted, the offending words in the sentence above are separated by a comma, but they are legitimately used consecutively.

Should 'of' be used instead of 'have'? I think in most cases, no.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.