Uwe Rosler - top guy but how do we rate him as a player?

Great player uwe, can't compare to today's players with our dough. But at that time he was superb. Surrounded by some doughnuts, the list could be endless, but when he played with better quality players he was GREAT

Can anyone find a youtube clip of the goal he scored against the 'rags' at Maine Road in the league game that we lost 2-3 ? It was the same game where Kavilashvili belted the ball into Schmeichels face ? It was in 1996 and I think it was after the FA Cup robbery at the toilet.

A fantastic strike after he had just come off the bench. Belted it from around the edge of the box and it flew past Schmeichel who didn't even see it.

I sat next to Uwe about a year ago in my local barbers. We had our hairs cut together and had a little chat. Lovely guy. Not sure why he was getting his hair cut though as he only had a few bristles at the back. Think it was because it is a big 'City' barbers with posters of the old teams around the walls and all the barbers are big blues. He just liked putting in an appearance.

Didsbury Dave said:
Not that good. His hero status comes from a time we were desperate to worship anybody. He wasn't quick enough to be a top drawer striker but he was strong and committed and got a few goals. He wouldn't get near our current team at the moment but might get in somewhere like villa or west ham.

Bit of a stupid post actually Dismal. No player from that era would remotely get into our current team for very obvious reasons. He was a hard working, grafting target man who was our leading scorer for 3 seasons on the trot and also player of the year in 94/5 and inducted into our 'Hall of Fame' in 2009. Together with Paul Walsh and Peter Beagrie he gave us some great and memorable performances. A true Blue without a doubt. I think you have seriously under estimated his contribution to our club and his place in our history.

He was the only East German player to get in the unified Germany national team after the wall came down.

He knew how to finish.

Some strikers who are lauded, like Ian Wright, never scored against Schmeichel. Der Bomber didn't have a problem. Give Uwe a one-on-one with Schmeichel and it ended up in the back of the net.

Would any of the 'rags' players of that generation have got in our current team ? I doubt it but you can't really compare. Uwe was a top striker and first an East German international and then a full German international at the time they were blessed with a wealth of stars all around the pitch.

He was quality. We got him on the cheap and were a generally poor side so his career in the Premiership went generally unheralded and trophyless and ended in relegation. Nevertheless, still a top striker who knew how to strike the ball and could beat the best keepers of his generation - unlike Ian Wright.

Great player for us at that time(admittedly we were pretty poor :( ) but wouldn't get beyond the bench now. Although he could replace Dzeko, at least he'd give a stuff about the club...

TGR said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Not that good. His hero status comes from a time we were desperate to worship anybody. He wasn't quick enough to be a top drawer striker but he was strong and committed and got a few goals. He wouldn't get near our current team at the moment but might get in somewhere like villa or west ham.

Bit of a stupid post actually Dismal. No player from that era would remotely get into our current team for very obvious reasons. He was a hard working, grafting target man who was our leading scorer for 3 seasons on the trot and also player of the year in 94/5 and inducted into our 'Hall of Fame' in 2009. Together with Paul Walsh and Peter Beagrie he gave us some great and memorable performances. A true Blue without a doubt. I think you have seriously under estimated his contribution to our club and his place in our history.

Kinkladze would walk into our team, he'd be captain, we'd win the fucking lot! FA CUP, WORTHINGTON CUP, CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, WORLD CUP, CITYKEV'S BISCUIT WORLD CUP, BEST BRITISH ACTOR OF ALL TIME, FIRST MONKEY ON THE MOON, WORLD OLDEST GRANNY, THE FUCKING LOT!!!!

CITYBOY1000 said:
He was the only East German player to get in the unified Germany national team after the wall came down.

He knew how to finish.

Some strikers who are lauded, like Ian Wright, never scored against Schmeichel. Der Bomber didn't have a problem. Give Uwe a one-on-one with Schmeichel and it ended up in the back of the net.

Would any of the 'rags' players of that generation have got in our current team ? I doubt it but you can't really compare. Uwe was a top striker and first an East German international and then a full German international at the time they were blessed with a wealth of stars all around the pitch.

He was quality. We got him on the cheap and were a generally poor side so his career in the Premiership went generally unheralded and trophyless and ended in relegation. Nevertheless, still a top striker who knew how to strike the ball and could beat the best keepers of his generation - unlike Ian Wright.

Not true; Uwe never played for a unified Germany. He only played for East Germany, five times in fact.

However Mathias Sammer, who was the first East German to sign for a West German team - VfB Stuttgart - did play for the full German team.

Vienna_70 said:
CITYBOY1000 said:

He knew how to finish.

Not true; Uwe never played for a unified Germany. He only played for East Germany, five times in fact.

However Mathias Sammer, who was the first East German to sign for a West German team - VfB Stuttgart - did play for the full German team.

Doh!

My memory cells are fading as the years roll on. I should consult wikipedia beofre I post in future.

The rest of my post was true though.

CITYBOY1000 said:
Vienna_70 said:
CITYBOY1000 said:

He knew how to finish.

Doh!

My memory cells are fading as the years roll on. I should consult wikipedia beofre I post in future.

Yes, it was. Uwe did wonderfully well for us at a time when things weren't quite as good as they are now.

Vienna_70 said:
CITYBOY1000 said:
Vienna_70 said:

Doh!

Yes, it was. Uwe did wonderfully well for us at a time when things weren't quite as good as they are now.

I would love someone to find a youtube clip of that strike at Maine Road against the 'rags' in the 1996 relegation season. The League game, not the FA Cup game at the toilet.

Absolutely one of the best strikes I had seen up until that time. Schmeichel didn't move. Shot was hit from the edge corner of the box shooting from left to right across Schmeichel and into the far post end of the goal. Cannonball ! Don't think Schmeicehl saw it. I haven't seen it since but it still sticks in my memory. Sadly, still lost 2-3 and went down again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.