Uwe Rosler - top guy but how do we rate him as a player?

One of a few shining lights in our side during that time. Not quite good enough for a German call up though imho. Still one of our club legends.

Vienna_70 said:
CITYBOY1000 said:
He was the only East German player to get in the unified Germany national team after the wall came down.

He knew how to finish.

Some strikers who are lauded, like Ian Wright, never scored against Schmeichel. Der Bomber didn't have a problem. Give Uwe a one-on-one with Schmeichel and it ended up in the back of the net.

Would any of the 'rags' players of that generation have got in our current team ? I doubt it but you can't really compare. Uwe was a top striker and first an East German international and then a full German international at the time they were blessed with a wealth of stars all around the pitch.

He was quality. We got him on the cheap and were a generally poor side so his career in the Premiership went generally unheralded and trophyless and ended in relegation. Nevertheless, still a top striker who knew how to strike the ball and could beat the best keepers of his generation - unlike Ian Wright.

Not true; Uwe never played for a unified Germany. He only played for East Germany, five times in fact.

However Mathias Sammer, who was the first East German to sign for a West German team - VfB Stuttgart - did play for the full German team.

Whilst I know you're right about the east Germany caps, you've reminded me that there was a big clamour amongst city fans that he deserved a call up to the Germany team. One game they sent someone over to watch him but nothing came of it. Anyone remember that?

isab23502 said:
Just watching some old city on Uwe Tube - 1996 under Ball; Uwe looking crap.
He did great in the few games at end of 94 and had a blinder in 94/95 but after that it was pretty much all downhill 95-98. How will he be rated? A one-and-a-quarter season wonder?
he was awesome under houghton, but under ball the team was a joke and he received no service, hence no goals. Great striker and a top bloke in my opinion

Didsbury Dave said:
Vienna_70 said:
CITYBOY1000 said:
He was the only East German player to get in the unified Germany national team after the wall came down.

He knew how to finish.

Some strikers who are lauded, like Ian Wright, never scored against Schmeichel. Der Bomber didn't have a problem. Give Uwe a one-on-one with Schmeichel and it ended up in the back of the net.

Would any of the 'rags' players of that generation have got in our current team ? I doubt it but you can't really compare. Uwe was a top striker and first an East German international and then a full German international at the time they were blessed with a wealth of stars all around the pitch.

He was quality. We got him on the cheap and were a generally poor side so his career in the Premiership went generally unheralded and trophyless and ended in relegation. Nevertheless, still a top striker who knew how to strike the ball and could beat the best keepers of his generation - unlike Ian Wright.

Not true; Uwe never played for a unified Germany. He only played for East Germany, five times in fact.

However Mathias Sammer, who was the first East German to sign for a West German team - VfB Stuttgart - did play for the full German team.

Whilst I know you're right about the east Germany caps, you've reminded me that there was a big clamour amongst city fans that he deserved a call up to the Germany team. One game they sent someone over to watch him but nothing came of it. Anyone remember that?

I remember the big clamour among City supporters. I even bought a Rösler 9 Germany shirt.

However, I don't recall the story of him being watched by someone from DFB.

deano ou812 said:
I was of the impression that he did play for germany was called up for a friendly match?

Seem to remember the German management team watching him a couple of times.

He was for the main a hero to us all but did go through a period of constantly falling on his arse when ever an opponent got anywhere near him.

First proper City idol for me as a spotty 13 year old. Loved the guy. He was in a shite side which obviously taints the memories a bit. I thought he was quality though.

Citizen_Ando said:
First proper City idol for me as a spotty 13 year old. Loved the guy. He was in a shite side which obviously taints the memories a bit. I thought he was quality though.

Ditto

A nice memory of Uwe for me was strangely enough at Anfield when we got tonked 6-0 (95/96 I think?) Went to the game with my dad, uncle, brother and cousins and at the end Uwe took his boots off and threw them into the City fans, he looked pretty gutted and we were worried it was a parting "gift" to the fans and that he might have been on his way to a club who were doing better than us at the time.
Anyway, my uncle caught one of his boots and after the game contacted Uwe via MCFC. Uwe arranged to meet my uncle and cousins (so of course my brother and I tagged along!) before a game later that season in the car park outside the Platt Lane end where the players used to leave their cars. My uncle took the boot along for him to sign and then Uwe took us into Maine Rd via the Platt Lane/Kippax corner and let us have our photos taken with him on the hallowed turf. For young kids/teenagers as we were then he could do no wrong after that, absolute legend to me so my view of him as a player is through fairly rose tinted glasses.

Still, I can't remember ever coming away from a game thinking he had a shocker (unlike some other players of his era), and I do think he was one of our better players of the mid to late 90s.

Imho this man was a legend. After watching lots of crap this man scored goals and gave us something to hold on to. Admittedly not the standard we are currently at but a great fella.

under horton with walsh and beagrie , rosler was superb , then the football genius took over as manager and it was all downhill after that , would love to see him back at the etihad in some capacity , after bert hes my favourite jerrrrman.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.