Var debate 2019/20

If that WAS the law I’d agree. But it isn’t. The premier league explained the new law like this:

“Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental.”

So it isn’t any contact with the arm/hand at all, it’s contact that results in a goal being scored. In other words, it isn’t handball if the contact is irrelevant to the goal being scored.
“it is an offence if a player gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then scores in the opponents’ goal, creates a goal-scoring opportunity or scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental.”
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Said all along it would be used as a tool to manipulate results and that’s exactly what is happening. If Liverpool or the rags scored that goal yesterday it would never have been reviewed by the VAR and we would all be none the wiser regarding the “handball”.
I said this when the rags got that pen at PSG. Nobody in the stadium appeared to be appealing for handball, the commentators didn't see anything and nobody watching at home saw a handball. So nobody saw it and if the VAR ref hadn't highlighted it then nobody would have been any the wiser. So, in that instance, how do we know that something similar hadn't occurred several times over the two legs and not been reviewed? Essentially you are at the mercy of someone who is micro-refereeing a match via ultra slow motion replays and technically can pick and choose which things that haven't been seen by the naked eye he wants to review. Suddenly the lack of transparency there and the scope for manipulation is absolutely startling.

“The referees’ chief Mike Riley has revealed that video assistant referees will not impose the tough line on handballs in the Premier League next season that has led to numerous controversial penalties in the Women’s World Cup and Champions League.

Riley, the managing director of the Professional Game Match Officials Ltd (PGMOL), said that many of the penalties awarded for handball in the Women’s World Cup and Champions League — including those awarded against Tottenham Hotspur’s Danny Rose and Moussa Sissoko in the Champions League quarter-final and final respectively — would not be given in the Premier League.

The former top-flight referee said that officials will be told to minimise the disruptive impact of VARs by having “a high line of intervention”. It comes after fears that overuse of video reviews is ruining the flow and spectacle of the game. Despite the handball law, which came into force across all competitions last month, Riley thinks that there is flexibility for English football to interpret it in a way that will not cause a big increase in the number of spot-kicks.

It was revealed last month that VARs in the Premier League will not rule on whether a goalkeeper moves off the line at penalties, leaving that decision to on-field officials, and that referees will be told not to consult pitchside monitors to minimise delays

So Mr rag Riley what changed, did Mr Graham Scott not get the message, or did he apply the exception, except when it’s City?

I think that's a totally different part of the handball law.

The one in question yesterday was about whether a goal can be scored.
The quote above is about giving penalties for handball.

If we want football to be clean, as I am sure we all do. Than the VAR ref should be put in front of the camera and he explains we the foul on Roddy wasnt a pen yet a few minutes later Sterling did a little tug and was booked !!

At the end of the day the VAR ref will be 100% sure he made the right call so I see no harm in him telling us what he saw and what we didnt

Having watched MOTD this morning and seen some of the ridiculous decisions in other games, I am now convinced that VAR is a big part of an elaborate betting scam.

you have summed up my thought. Let us bring this post back up at the end of the season. No one will be able to highlight a disallowed goal for the Rags or Dippers, no one. It will not happen. But, watch the Rodri penalty be given time and again for both teams.

Statistically, I reckon both will have marginally less decisions go against them so that it isn't immediately obvious what is going on and they can use the "swings and roundabouts argument.

The devil will be in the detail of when and in which games those decisions go against them. Neither will have a late match winner disallowed nor will a decisive penalty be given against them in an important game.

I was trying to think how many extra time winners we scored last year. The year before, we scored some notable very late winners but not, as far as I can recall, last year.

The last two, as far as I can recall, both against Spurs have been disallowed.

If that WAS the law I’d agree. But it isn’t. The premier league explained the new law like this:

“Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental.”

So it isn’t any contact with the arm/hand at all, it’s contact that results in a goal being scored. In other words, it isn’t handball if the contact is irrelevant to the goal being scored.

The problem was that it didn't leed to a goal. Jesus still had to collect the ball, turn and move across into a shooting position. Before shooting and scoring. Would agree if the ball had fallen at his feet and he had shot straight away.

“it is an offence if a player gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then scores in the opponents’ goal, creates a goal-scoring opportunity or scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental.”
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Yep, the key word is “creates.” It cannot be said that Laporte’s handball created the goal scoring opportunity, I would say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.