Var debate 2019/20

There will be no winners with VAR mate regardless of whether we get the decision in our favour or not. Its a destruction of the unbridled joy of seeing a goal and getting lost in the moment. I would rather have incorrect decisions made by a human being on the field of play rather than have VAR destroy the emotion of every goal going forward.
100% correct.

I'm not sure why there are complaints about the handball not being 'clear and obvious'. I don't think there is any requirement for this to be C&O, just as with offside. Hitting the arm is hitting the arm.

The VARring of potential fouls seems nerfed completely. The VAR man has to see something definitive enough to make the ref overrule himself, pitchside reviews are to be very rare, so all the onfield ref needs to say is 'I'm certain' and that's that. It would be better not to use it at all than this half-arsed version.

Strong words from Garth Crooks tucked at the end of his team of the week analysis

Tottenham's Erik Lamela practically assaulted Manchester City's Rodri in the box and VAR said nothing. Why? If Referee Michael Oliver did not see it then it was a clear and obvious error and VAR should have brought it to the referee's attention. So no help there.

Did this technological 'know it all' not see what everyone else saw or did this scientific genius go for a comfort break? Of course not. VAR is a spoiler. It seeks and searches for error. He's a show off! VAR comes into its own when it can combine the evidence with the facts. "Don't blame me!" it shouts. "I'm just giving you the facts and attaching them to the evidence and the laws of the game."

Meanwhile, the game has developed a virus but football doesn't know it yet and it's in danger of affecting the whole game. VAR's decision to disallow Gabriel Jesus' injury-time goal based on the new law, introduced this season, regarding handball, was nothing short of laughable. The law is an ass but more worryingly the game is in danger of becoming a joke.

So if the ball had deflected off the defenders arm on to Laporte’s arm and Jesus scores, the correct decision is Spurs free kick.

I’m out.

by the laws of the game it's irrelevant whether the ball hit Laportes arm

HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
He never had possession, hence irrelevant, goal should have stood

Wait until Rashford is pulled down tonight and a penalty is given, this will show it up for what it is.

This has never been a requirement for MANUre, or the Dippers, to be awarded a pen. The only element necessary for a Rag or Dipper penalty is the 'down' bit, although before the season ends I expect both Salah and Rashford to be awarded a penalty kick and for them to remain on their feet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.